SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

any southern posters ever heard of this folk remedy??

dirtgirl
14 years ago

It's a little off-topic, but it DOES have to do with twigs and berries and so on and there's usually SOMEONE here who knows a thing or two...

A southern (Alabama) relative and I were talking about home remedies and wildcrafting/folk stuff the other day and he told me about this essential oil or some kind of extract they have down south that you can find in stores but which actually sounds to me like one of those terrifying home remedy things that the gypsy woman up in the holler gave you or that grandma made you smear on your chest so you can sniff the cureative (read "caustic") vapors. It is supposedly a mixture of sassafras root, camphor, turpentine (?!) some odd herbs, maybe some eucalyptus, and a few things he could not remember. Said it smelled so bad he believed you never got sick simply because no one--and therefore even the sick folks- would come near you. The trouble is he could pronouce it halfway decently but could not even begin to spell it and out of curiosity I would like to look it up if possible. He says it is called ( bear with me) assafinity, aphsinity asaphinity aphasinity or something along those lines. I really don't know if this is a label name or just something it's generally called.

ANd of course I have not ruled out the possibility that my southern relative is simply having some serious fun at the expense of his know-no-better Yankee cuzin (anything north of the Mason/Dixon rates you a Yankee I guess) and that there is no such thing. HOWEVER! I told HIM about some stuff we have in certain stores here called Monkey-Butt powder that was a novelty to him and highly intriguing so we have agreed to make a trade, a bottle of my Monkey-Butt for a can of his whatever-it-is.

So if any of you Dixie folks have any idea what he's talking about, kindly pass some info my way.

Comments (8)