SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

worst fears confirmed...it's KUDZU

dirtgirl
17 years ago

Oh I think I'm going to be sick to my stomach. I have been busy with the summertime chore of hand weeding our farm fields, with shattercane being my primary target. One thing I can say about this back-breaking work is that you get a chance to notice pests or other problems that might slip by you if you never left the comfort of an air-conditioned cab. I almost wish I hadn't been there tonight when I found the latest. I was coming to a low-water crossing between fields and noticed a few trees that had been recently cut. I had forgotten that we had to clear them after the last flood and headed over to check them out. When I got to them I got the nastiest shock I could have imagined....there were small vines draped across the limbs and all I could do was stare at them. They were kudzu vines. I tried to think of any other trifoliate vines...this was NOT poison ivy. It was draped about the ground in small, delicate-looking vines, clinging on everything. I tried to estimate the size of the area of the infestation but it was getting late so I grabbed a sample and headed back to the truck. When I got home, I cracked open the books...I didn't have to. Oh gosh another gut twisting feeling. The only good thing I have to say about it is that I was in this part of the woods just last fall checking on the ginseng and did not see any of this. Maybe I just didn't notice it. If not, there's a chance I found it just in time. I am in Jefferson Co., Illinois, and kudzu is just now starting to work its way into the region from the south. It always used to be thought of as a Southern problem, not something we ever even looked for. Times have changed and now our state is actively putting together a database of kudzu locations in the hopes that we can avoid the nightmare that the south is going through. I think it is currently listed as occupying 410 +- acres, mainly in the southern counties. well, add a few more to that total I guess. Damn!! Ah if only our winters would return!!! I had hoped this day would never come...I guess first thing tomorrow I need to get on the phone to the IDNR and the University of Illinois Extension office and start the process of making a report. I think we might be able to stop this patch, but it's along a creek. Even if this is a young growth and not over two years old, it had to come from upstream, which means there is likely another population that hasn't been found yet. Guess I have lots of hiking and poking around ahead of me. At least this is the headwaters of this watershed and not four or five miles downstream...but it's the one I spend most of my free time hiking and I can't stand the thought of it being swallowed in kudzu!!

wasn't honeysuckle and russian olive enough???

Comments (29)