SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arundberg

How to keep baby bunnies safe?

arundberg
9 years ago

Ok so I'm not a gardener but I do have baby bunnies in my backyard and I just want to keep them safe while they grow up. I know that there is a huge chance that once they venture into the world they don't have a long life expectancy BUT I'd like them to at least be able to leave my yard.

I just moved into this house in April and about a week ago my dog was acting crazy by some plants in the yard so I inspected and there was a nest and I looked inside and yay some cute baby bunnies. Well unfortunately my dog got ahold of one in which I called emergency vet and wildlife rehab and they said to put it back. Well I did and I checked on it the next day and it was dead(even though there were no marks or blood it still died, I'm guessing from the shock of the situation.) I called wildlife again and they told me to remove and bury the dead, which I did. The mother comes every day, she even comes when I'm sitting out there and she actually stays quite a while with them(over an hour at the nest two mornings ago.)

What I would like to know is what I can do to keep them safe while they grow up. When my husband gets home this weekend we are going to put up some safe fencing around the area and drape it over head to keep the crows out. I've noticed when sitting out drinking my morning coffee there are a ton of crows around. My backyard is pretty huge and all the neighbors as well and there is a plethora of birds, squirrels and other little critters around. I know crows will be dangerous to these little guys and I want to make sure they're unable to get at them.

What kind of fencing would be best and is there anything I can plant to help nourish them as they grow? There are some plants around there that the mother built the nest under, not sure what they are, kind of knee high shrubby looking things with long thick leaves or blades.

I'd appreciate any advice on what type of fencing is safe and any plants that would be good for them.

Thanks!

Oh and the babies are about 10 days old now and I go out with my dogs every time now to keep them clear of the area, they are all small dogs(under 10 lbs.) but only the pomeranian is interested, the two chihuahuas could care less.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting