SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

invasives...if you can't beat em, eat em?

dirtgirl
18 years ago

Been sooooooooo long since I actually had the time to get on here and check in with all the ongoing threads, but I have been thinking of this for a while so I'll take a second:

there has been discussion on and off about how certain invasives are wild edibles, and of course garlic mustard comes immediately to mind. It seemed like I recall someone on here or perhaps something I read elsewhere about Chinese yam being an edible tuber, even comparing it to water chestnut or jicama.

I was reminded of this some time back while I was jerking up young chinese yam vines, and getting a shock when I discovered that plants that had to be less than a year or two old (because they had gotten this same violent treatment last year as well) often had a huge tuber beneath the surface, some longer than my finger and as thick as a hotdog. I was depressed to realize that even the youngest plants already have stored enough energy to survive my onslaught of picking...I would have to remove the whole plant, root and all, to get rid of it.

Maybe my desperation in keeping up with this scourge would be tempered a bit if all this jerking and pulling could be rewarded not only with a healthier forest but also a bowl of goodies in the fridge.

Jicama and water chestnuts....drool on the keyboard!

Have to try a chinese yam stir fry!

Comments (26)