SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_witch

NEW: Big & Bulky seed swap!

garden_witch
18 years ago

Size does matter! This trade is for all things BIG!

Seeds that qualify:

Large seeds- Seeds that are bigger than 1/4 inch diameter... Scarlet runner beans, canna, pumpkin/squash, gourd, etc. Corms and bulbils are also acceptable!

Seeds for big/giant plants, fruits, and flowers- Mammoth sunflower, giant pumpkins, kettle gourd, big boy tomatoes, dinner plate hybiscus, etc.

Seeds for plants with giant, big, huge, great, large, etc. in the common or latin name: Eryngium giganteum (sea holly,) Pansy Swiss giants, Coleus giant exhibition, vernonia gigantea (tall ironweed,) great lobelia, Park's whopper begonia, etc.

Plus, I would like everyone to send one bulk package of seeds. These can be any type of seed, even the most common varieties. The bulk seeds will go towards my new seed bank group. Katzengarten Seeds is under construction at the moment, but will be open to the public soon! I have a few more pages to create, and hope to have everything up and running by mid November. Katzengarten is not a trading group, nor will seeds be for sale. The purpose will be to offer free seeds to all gardeners, as well as to provide a place to get together online and chat about our gardens!

To sign up for this trade, post below! You may post a wish list if you like, and I will do my best to meet it. Sign-up will be open untill about November 12th, after which I will email all participants with details for sending seeds.

Fine print...

Amounts to send:

*For large seeds the gereral rule is 10 - 15 seeds per packet, a little less for very large seeds. bulbils and corms, 5 - 10 per packet, depending on size.

*For smaller seeds, 20+ per packet according to size. (yes, you can send small seeds, as long as they are for plants that meet the criteria listed above.)

*For your bulk package, please send enough seeds for at least ten packets. You do not need to make individual packets, all seeds can be in one baggie or envelope.

Please send at least ten varieties, plus your bulk seeds. Please keep duplicates to a minimum to ensure a better variety for all traders.

Please be sure that your seeds are thoroughly dry and securely packaged. Packets can be baggies, coin envelopes, homemade paper packets, recycled envelopes, etc. as long as they won't leak!

Tenative deadlines are November 12 for sign-up and December 1st for sending seeds. I would like to get all trades returned before X-mas!

Seeds must be sent in bubble mailers with return postage. I will include more details for sending when I email participants.

Please post below to join, and Happy Gardening!

Comments (11)