SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtpig

Traveling Daylillies 6400

18 years ago

This round robin is an extention of a wonderful group of traders, the Traveling Daylilies, who when at all possible trade daylilies. We have the most awesome group of traders, proven, experienced, honest, giving, sharing and awesome loving people. The way into this group is to have traded and proven yourself honest. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recommendation. We'd love to have you!

We are currently doing our November "thankful" swap.

Morning all..Big Hugs

Love starting a new thread!!

Jean

Comments (101)

• 18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello.
    Can I cook, someone asked... well... I can make the Cup-o-Noodles with the best of 'em. LOL. I do cook a bit, but I don't really follow recipes. I throw in stuff that I think will be good. I do have some bbq recipes so I'll dig those out. Actually, I'm a sourdough baker... working on proofing the starter right now for some biscuits tomorrow. I may have to ask my DW for a recipe for the book.
    Veeja, I'm enjoying the group just fine :). Got any extra cool dahlia you can spare? I signed up for the Christmas swap, so that'll be my first... the pressure is on for me to come up with something good for my pal. Really looking forward to my first swap with this group.
    Anita, I don't really know the full story, but if everyone's happy for your court decision, I'll join in on the congrats :-).
    Hope everyone is keeping warm... it's getting cold here.

{{gwi:1238356}}

• 18 years ago

Good Morning All,
    I've been gone for a few days so had alot of reading to catch up on!

Earthly, so sorry for your loss. This certainly has not been a good time for our four legged friends lately.

Anita! Great news! Seems that Susan doesn't remember the help and support you and DH gave to her during pregnancy and after the birth of little D. He really does need you in his life. I just hope all this messy court business can be behind you now and you can just focus on enjoying your little man.

Barb, received box with brug cuttings - thanks so much. Man, they are big 'uns.

Well, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong when sending out mass emails or not. Everything I've sent lately is not going through to at least Canna,Deb, Susie, Melissa and Gay. Maybe there's more that I don't know about. I've sent out my questionnaire (replied to all) and also forwarded Annie's questionnaire and personal info (address, email, etc.). I've noticed that in mass emails that I'm getting, no one has added her to their list yet. Maybe no one got it???

Shirley, I completed and returned (with copies to all) my questionnaire soon after Deni sent it. Did you not get a copy also. Didn't get anything bounce back from you.

Oh jeez.....

Beautiful here yesterday - close to 70. Got some work done outside. We certainly have had a beautiful fall this year.

Shirley, got your Stuttgart dug. Now just have to find time to get to the p.o. - should be on it's way Monday.

Please do tell about the $1 iris. I'd be interested. I may even have to have a look at the $1 dahlias. You guys are making it very hard to resist this whole dahlia thing!

Better get moving. Need to get a few things done before work. Tomorrow is son's birthday party. House needs major cleaning.
    MaryB

• Related Discussions

NEW: 9600---Traveling Daylilies

Q

Comments (102)
    Good morning everyone! What a wonderful surprise arrived in the mail and I couldn't wait to come show it off. : ) This group is filled with Angels for sure. Wait 'till you see what our dear Barb made for Talon..... It is so soft and the love that she put into making it shows. Can you see the two birds in the pattern? Absolutely gorgeous and so unique. Barb, once again you have touched my heart and I will cherish this tiny sweater long after Talon outgrows it. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness. I absolutely love it! And my DH thanks you too. Can't wait to show the rest of the family. BIG HUGS! I have been sleeping for most of the day, otherwise i'd probably be checking in more. Seems like the more sleep I get, the less contractions I have. We are so close to the 35 week mark! I'm starting to feel like getting through two more weeks to 37 will be a piece of cake. My contrax. are still very much slowed down so keep your fingers crossed. I see the doc on Tuesday. Thank you all for your sweet words about my DH. He is so concerned about the good health of the baby and wants to do all he can so that I can rest. That in combination with his never ending work schedule is wearing him out. He has lost some weight and is extremely tired. I begged him to stay home today, but he headed over to the new house at 9am. It's cold and snowy. : ( What wonderful Easter swap boxes you all are enjoying! Great job everyone. Oh, and thank you all so much for the compliments on my beautiful neice. She really is precious. And such a good girl. She slept in her "big girl" bed (crib) for the first time on Wednesday night. I had to laugh at her Mom....Jenna slept on her floor! lol. I assume she'll be camping out in there for a while until she feels comfortable. Brooklyn had been sleeping in a bassinet right next to Jenna's side of the bed. Hi Lisa! Great to see you posting. Spring really is wonderful, isn't it? A time when there is so much to look forward to. I, too, like to sit and just "breathe it all in". Jean....oh...pooor Jean.....all that snow! But such beautiful pictures. : ) The rest isn't driving me too crazy. I am enjoying time with the birdies. They have been singing songs for me and doing alot of dancing. That keeps me totally amused. : ) Carol! Where are you moving to? I remember you mentioning a while back the thoughts of a *possible* move, but I must have missed anything else you said. Your DH is gonna' have to pack & stack all your plants like Herb did for Marea. I'm really glad the Pit Bull didn't get a hold of you. Actually, i'm glad you didn't get a hold of the Pit Bull. ; ) Shirley, how nice that Brittney was able to buy her own car! She must have been very proud. My Mom has taken so many gazillions of pics of Brooklyn so far. It's really funny trying to get her to smile. Those...
    ...See More

Need: plants for zone 7 exchange for zone 10 plants

Q

Comments (1)
    Joanne Your Daylily, liriope, gardenia will do well here in Zone 7. Some Hibiscus and angel trumpets will also do well in zone 7 depending on where you are. Azaleas are plentiful and they have a good variety ot low cost in most of the 'big box' type stores. Also rhododendron! Oaks (many varieties) and southern magnolia are probably the most popular large trees in my area. For flowering trees cherry, crabapple and dogwood in spring and crepe myrtles in the summer/early autumn. I am fairly new to gardening in this area though. You should really try the "Carolina Gardenng & Exchange Forums for the best advice and possible swaps. Frances
    ...See More

UPDATE: 8200 Traveling Daylilies!

Q

Comments (100)
    good lord the general plant trade forum is getting soooo frustrating!! i've made a few posts in which i'm very specific about what i want, but do people read them or check my pages? absolutely not!! it's the same gripe i've had for a while, but it's driving me crazy again!! there really isn't anywhere else for me to go for plant trading and i HATE ordering out of catalogues, it's always such a dissappointment. ok...i was going to continue with my rant, but i appear to have run out of steam!! paul do you have any named epi cuttings you want to trade? well since no ones actually said anything about a june swap and i can't find anything, i'll take point on this one too. july will be the food swap. sign up needs to be by 10 pm est, sunday, june 11. it'll be called the make your partner smile box. there are no rules, except that it must contain at least five plants. one of these must be a plant that you love, but they don't have listed as either a have or a want. tell them why you love it. the deadline for mailing will be june 28. i was just saying daylilly, hosta, iris, sedum, heuchera trade since we all seem to collect those. partners will be posted sunday night, after 10 pm. thanks yall cody
    ...See More

Traveling Daylilies

Q

Comments (16)
    How many daylillies would be a good start for one to participate? Which daylillies are the special ones that others would want from me? Sorry for all the questions, I have just started looking into trading. Thank you for any info you have!
    ...See More
  • 18 years ago

Mary B(MaryBz5NY), Carol (Veeja 11), Angie (luvmybulbs),Sherry B. (msbernard) , Cathy (Catbirdsue), Maryanne (Earthly Delights), Sharon (Toomanyanimals), Janet (JanetLee50), Becky (BecDav), Susan (Axelsrose), Barb (barbamaman), Rebecca (Cannahavana), Ellen (Ellenh), Sue (skohler), Jean (Dirtpig), Jaye (TakingRoot), Cindy O (Namso), Joey (Joeypack), Dianne (Dian57), Carmen (pins2006), RM (TropSandDune), Sherri (Onesherri), Melissa (MarozeckNJ), Cindy S (Cindylu), Dawn (Mamabirrd), Mary (Mary_s), JoAnn (Juspeachy) , Nancy (Jaceysgranny), Debbie (Budsnblooms), Shirley (Brittneysgran), Marea (Marea), Cody (Cody_mi), Tana(tanarae), Deni (abitodd), Paul (Pchanggeo), Annie (Raggadyann) & I see we are adding a new angel...

Big Warm NY Hug Welcome Meghan!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all so much, all I could do was cry as the Judge gave the order,

Mary B,
    No, I don't think she remembers the person that took her to get the pregnancy test, bought all her maternity cloths & food throughout her pregnancy, spent a fortune & a half on a beautiful Pooh nursery, right down to matching hand made Pooh Bassinet, crib sheet's, curtains, & on & on, for 17 month's, I took care of this, oh I will be nice:) Nor does she remember all of the wonderful gift's from all of you here. I do & always will, I have put the note Canna sent with the car seat in his book that Jo made me, that stays here.

Paul,
    Long story short, I have a son, 11 months ago his Ex girlfriend gave birth to my first grandchild, I spent many days & nights with Baby David, July 29th they broke up & it has been one court battel after another to see him, I spent 54 days waiting the first time, It was beyond hellllllllll, first I was granted visitation with Susan present, still none for my son, Then I got granted liberal & agreed upon visitation for my son with me supervising, This did not go well, 4 hour drive so my son could see him for 2 hours. so now our lawyer & baby David's lawyer made the judge order a time frame, which should have been done in the first place. I pick him up every other Friday & keep him till Saturday. OK, so maybe this was not so short:) Then we are back to court Dec 2nd, so stay tuned,

Deni,
    Could you please share, by E-mail please, the names of the ones to remove from our mass E-mail list? Thank you so much:)

Shirley
    Now don't forget that Iris list today:)

OK, enough babbling, I need help, as Mary S done, I feel the same way, I have never had a Dahlia till this year, I don't know what to do with them, they look bad & each day worse. HELP I don't want them to shrivel away to nothing.
    Ummm saran wrap?????? I would need TON'S, these beast's got BIG!!!

:)Anita Off to see if I can find an answer, before I croak my Dahlias will check back soon

• 18 years ago

Duh forgot GOOD MORNING!!!!!

• 18 years ago

HELP!
    I need Tanarae's address. I can't seem to find it anywhere. If someone has it, would you be so kind and email it to me asap? Big thanks! I really want to get her Nov. swap box out today.

I'll be back later......HAPPY SATURDAY EVERYONE!

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• 18 years ago

ok paul and anita to the corner..,,

paul called me "someone" and anita doesnt even have me on her list,,,

someone better clue these two in and tell paul especaily what it WILL take for him to get out of the corner!!!!
    starts with m and ends with m..

go ahead girls...

heads up....
    the reciope book that is being made is gon a be sooooo cool your gonna be sick if your not in it..
    i am not palying at all...

send your recipes to JO as soon as you can.( i, becuase after all, who am I?? correct... the~ mama bear.. theeeeee, so I KNOW what jo is doing,,,, know know know.. heads up!!!!! ~ dont be left out!!!!!! dont!

thanks debbie, i thought it was you... im on way out door... will send tons of dahlia info when i return....

I have done research up the gazzoo! And guess where my friend shirley is....

ye yep yep... as we speak shes loading up her car for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yahoo... dahlias to die for...
    so jazzed! yall better get on this wagon... there is NOT a better flower out there.. not not not.. no I dont stutter, may sound like it tho...
    fresh flowers from june till nov. MY KIND OF FLOWER!!!
    WENT TO THE DOLLAR PLACE BUT THEY WERE CLOSED FOR THE SEASON ! DANG IT!

SOMEONE NEEDS TO SEND ME A COMPLETE LISTING OF WHO IS WHO,,, i AM LOST !
    CAN SOMEONE MAKE ME A NAME SIGN LIKE PAULS... I LIKE IT!!!!

BACK TO THE CORNER GUYS NO SNEAKIN OUT!!!

HI DIRTPIG!

HUGS TO ALL... EVEN CORNER KIDS... LOVE, G/GLORIA/MAMAG/MAMABEAR/ / / / /

• 18 years ago

omg will someone stop me please!!!!!! i've just spent 200.00 on seeds on the lily auction. i need a labotomy to erase the site from my brain!!

• 18 years ago

Uh oh... the corner... I get sent there a lot... :(.
    Well... will someone who posted that they want a name tag, please email me. I'd be happy to help her out :-). I'll need a name, and perhaps some photos of your flowers or whatever you want. My nametag has four different plumeria blooms on it.

• 18 years ago

Good afternoon all,

Dawn...forwarded tanas address.

Canna - ..saw your mid-winter symposium in the quarterly journal...what a lineup :>.!! hhmmm...temps down there warm enough for DH to golf?

Anita - congrat's!

Picks - love petit's GARY COLBY. stamiles WALKING IN BEAUTY, trimmers SENSE OF WONDER, carr's PERMANENT IMPRESSION and one of everything, esp BIRD TALK by Lambertson. hybridizers link below...now if i could just hit the lotto.

Debbie - that ones blooming on just 2 mature fans.... should look that way for you next year :).

Zella Virginia

Jo Barbre
    {{gwi:1302809}}

Cindy O/namso

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybridizer's Cornor

• 18 years ago

posting while you guys are...lol...poor paul :). but if you make someone a nametag.....maybe:).

G, i don't cook! can i bribe you for forgiveness?. :)

Cody, am in trouble myself...want one of last years bad.....maybe Ellen can delete access?

Cindy O/namso

• 18 years ago

Hi Paul, I made this sig last summer from one of my cannas.

Love plummies! I have 3 cuttings and 2 from seed but have not seen blooms yet. Maybe next year.

(((ANITA))) big hugs to you and baby (((DAVID)))!!!

• 18 years ago

Cindy O - OMG - I'm in love with Lambertson!!! His TRIASSIC TEETH (Lambertson 05) Tet 8.5" Sev E Re 34"!!!!
    And YES! Bird Talk is something to behold. All you BLUE lovers must love his site. Are you reading this Marea!! And has Dawn and Suzie seen the 'Bird Talk' name. lol
    Trimmers Sense of Wonder is a beauty too. I love the video's on the website. The eye on TEQUILA MOCKINGBIRD looks intriqing. And don't ask me why, but his 2004 BLACKBERRIES AND CREAM keeps calling to me!

Which one, which one do I get????

Cody, I know what you mean! Here I went and made all those crosses, and you guys know I gave a lot away and yet I have since bought several crosses on the LA b/c I couldn't help myself. You and I will have to get a lobotomy together. lol

Anita, congrats on getting to see the baby more!

Hubby and I took a 'nature trail' walk yesterday. Ahhhh, that was nice! Saw a tree that had a penis, really, wish I had had a camera. :o)

Happy weekend everyone,
    sharon/tma

• 18 years ago

OMG,

Sharon,
    You just crack me up.Guess I shouldn't say I wish you had a camera too, huh?

Paul,
    That "someone" is Gloria. Our fearless(well, not totally,there is one small thing, but not going there as I don't want to get sent to the corner) leader, AKA... "G", "Mama G", "Mama bear". You have been officially sent to the corner, and you must now placate her with M & M's.
    Also "Gloria" is the someone who wants her name in flowers, so she can post it.

Canna,
    Both are very pretty. Wish I had a few minutes to call my own so I could do things like that. (someday, sighhhhhh)

Shirley,
    I cannot get onto redhawk dalias "at all". Is there any way you could log on to the website and send me the page, instead of a link?

((IRIS??????))
    for $1, "where???

Maryanne,
    I think I posted about how bad I feel for your loss,(but can't remember, so I am gonna do it again) I just lost my kitty of 20 yrs. So, I know how you are feeling. Seems that this fall has not been kind to our four legged companions. Big warm hugs to you.

More GH news!!!!!
    DH went down to work on it today while I was at work, he comes home with.... The complete hookup for the irrigation system, all the wiring, timers, "everything". It would have cost us a small fortune, and they gave it to us. These folks are just unbelievably kind. I just wish there were some way to repay them. I am thinking hard, let me tell you.

PLEASE.......
    I really need you all to send me a recipe. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. I have not gotten a single recipe from anyone for our next section. It is MAIN DISHES.

Please send me a recipe for a main dish.

I NEED TO GET WORKING ON THIS. I am at a standstill, till I get more recipes.

thanks,

have a great night everyone,
    Hugs to all,

Jo/juspeachy

• 18 years ago

The Traveling Obsessions? I've seen you people on the 'Heaven' and 'Magic' and 'Spacecoast' LA pages - and I was gonna post asking for help against this pending Stamile order! G. may be correct: i love dahlias, i love dahlias, i love dahlias... *grin* marea

• 18 years ago

Anita, Great! I'm very happy for you and your family. I know how much that big boy means to you all. ;-)

Jo, I'm sorry about your kitty. I'll try to send you a recipe or two for the cookbook. I collect cookbooks so I'll want one when they're ready.

I have a question about daylily seeds for you guys. How long are they viable and if they have been in the fridge and you took them out and didn't plant them all and didn't put them back in are they still viable? I have quite a few from last year that I never got around to planting and wondered if they're still good.

I could also use the info on how to prepare the dahlias for the winter please.

Cindy, your Zella Virginia is beautiful. I have that one too but just got her last year and it didn't bloom for me yet so it's nice to see what to expect. Joe Barbre is pretty too.

Off to get some winks,

Nancy

• 18 years ago

Hello.
    In an attempt to get myself out of the corner, I present....

{{gwi:1302812}}

Hope this works... Canna, your siggy is beautiful.
    Thanks.

• 18 years ago

WOW,

(((Paul))
    You are a genius!!! An absolute genius. You got the sig, AND the M&M's.Bet she lets you out of the corner.

Anita,
    Better post something with Mama G's name in it quick,(and if you can add M&M's so much the better.)hehehe

Morning everyone,
    Just a quick check in. Will be off to work in a bit. I totally dislike my Sunday to work, It means you open, AND close. Yuck, Yuck!!

Got my FIRST main dish recipe from our Carol. THANK YOU CAROL!!!!!! c'mon everyone, jump on the band wagon(grinz)

CindyO,
    Love your DL's, soo pretty.

Deni,
    Tell Meghan to post and tell us a little about herself.
    WELCOME MEGHAN!!

Where is everyone? We usually are through a thread much quicker than this. I guess everyone is taking advantage of this great weather. Wish I could, I have had to work all week. Next week is my weekend off, and what will you bet me that it will be "yucky"? (I know, quit grumbling)

OK,
    off to work,
    You all have a wonderful Sunday.

Hugs,

Jo/juspeachy

• 18 years ago

Yikes, I just wrote a long post and they deleted it cause it a website. Here I go again.

JO, I will be sending a receipe, but I'm one of those poor souls who cooks the same things over and over again. NOT A COOK!

Paul, you must be out of the corner now. The mammabear signature is beautiful!

Nany - about DL seeds. One year I had bought too many and ref. them and had pretty good germ. rate the 2nd year. Read somewhere that someone had good germ. rate after 5 years of being ref. Don't know about NOT Refrigerating them. It's your experiment. Give them a try and let us know your germ. rate. :o)

- about Dahlias . . . since we can't post websites any more google - No Fuss: Store Your Tubers in Plastic Wrap - and you will find all the inform. you need. Also, I wanted to mention that I had 2 big dahlia tubers that I didn't want to seperate, so I put them in the gallon ziplock bags, pushed all the air out. They survived. But I found them when I was putting my winter bulbs away 2 weeks ago. :o(
    I only got 50% survival with my 6 dalia tubers I put in saran wrap. But that is much better than the 1% I usually get. My basement is too warm and we don't have a humidifier. Hopefully the "Real Dahlia Addicts" will share some of their secrets.

sharon/tam

• 18 years ago

Happy Sunday everyone!

Wow, behind again.

Maryanne, I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved pup. I've been thinking about you all week and I hope you are coping the best you can. My biggest hugs to you.

This has been a bad year for our furry, finned, and feathered best friends. I'm so sorry for anyone that suffered a loss.

I don't believe i've officially welcomed Meghan yet. WELCOME! Please come and tell us a little about yourself.

Paul, G is gonna love that siggy! I'm sure she'll let you out of the corner. Awesome!

Carol, how's Texas?

Jo, I will get a Main Dish recipe to you soon. Let me know if you come across any more free greenhouses. : )

Marea, I need another plant obsession like I need another hole in my head.

Currently, I am on a quest for any and all Brugmansia. I'm also buying unusual Philodendron like there's no tomorrow. Such a great houseplant. I've gotten into Hosta and I have no shade. DUH! My collection of Huechera is small, but growing. Cactus, succulents.....hmmmm, what else? Tropicals! Oh, and Colocasia. And yes of course, Daylilies.

Don't even get me started on the '06 intros. Yes Sharon, I saw 'Bird Talk'. Gotta' have it! I will have to check out 'Tequila Mockingbird'...loving that name.
    I haven't looked at everything yet, but a few '06's have caught my eye.... 'Captain Blue' and 'Fashion Police' at Water Mill Gardens.....
    'Skeezix', Stamile.....an unusual spider (love spiders!)..
    and 'Finding Blue' from G. Stamile, what color!
    I am anxious to see 'Old Termite', Baxter.

Can you believe I was lucky enough to find a Daylily bloom yesterday. Yup, November 5th. Has to be the latest bloom i've ever had. Pic later.

Canna, nice siggy's. Is the siding all finished?
    Does Doug know that Big Ben had knee surgery and is OUT for today's game? Charlie Batch is in with Maddox at #2 and Randle El as emergency back-up. I'm as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full o' rocking chairs. : )

CindyO, thanks for forwarding Tana's info. : )

Anita....YIPPEE!!!! So happy that the judge did what's right. That is a great step in the right direction. Big hugs to you and baby D. Congratulations!!!!!

Well, gotta' run.....want to try to get a few things done outside before the game.

GO STEELERS!

~Dawn

• 18 years ago

I made the siggy in the last post a long time ago. Working on a few new ones but haven't had time to finish them.
    Paul, Canna, etc., what programs do you use?

I'm still messing around with this one...

• 18 years ago

nancy
    the unrefridgerated seeds will do fine. we ran an experiment here on gw with unrefridgerated seeds. while i personally didn't have good germination, others had 80-90%.

dawn
    you are such a copycat!! you know i have 60 heuchera, heucherella, tiarella; 50+ sedums, 65ish ornamental grasses; 400 or so daylilies, probably 40 hostas and roses out the wazoo. plus i've been working on my brug collection for a while but i keep killing the cuttings! it's really funny how similiar our tastes are!!!

off to look at more 06's
    cody

• 18 years ago

Hi all, this is my first Dahlia year, so I have asked pooch a dahlia expert to post instructions on dahlia storage. she hasn't answered yet. maybe we should put off our trade till spring, so we know they have eyes, what do ya'll think?I am having trouble with Jeans november pkg, what she likes it is to cold to send I may have to send a whole box of things she won't like, the girl collects old oil cans. I am searching daily for things she will like. had a cactus bloom today a first for me. outside dahlias and pineapple sage are blooming, humming birds like the pineapple sage. boy is it cold here after being in texas. Maryanne where are you?fill out Deni's questionaire please. Welcome Meghan, please tell us a bit about yourself.I get someone else to do my siggys.

• 18 years ago

Oh I love the signature picture.
    It would be so neat if we each had one.
    PLEASE--------Someone do mine. LMK what I need to send you for it.

These are the only four questionaires that I have received.
    Deni
    Sharon
    Tanarae
    Carmen
    I made a notebook and put them in it, would like a copy of everyones.

Gloria---I went to the dahlia farm and will be sending your dahlias out tomorrow. There were some that I had to send back with my DH to replace. When he returns with replacements I will send you a list of the ones I got.
    I got Show and Tell.........Yeah

I also have a list of the irises that will be $1.00
    I have to get ready for church but will post those when I get back home.

Shirley

• 18 years ago

will someone clue me in as where to see or find bird talk & others ???

well I got the new walls up in my kitchen today :)))
    my cupboards will be here in 2 wks :(( wish it was this week . but guess it can't be rushed for I still have to get the new ceiling up yet . that is this week . along with the new door .
    lots to do before the cupboards get here .

are the irises named ??? anyone have a list of them ??
    well time to feed the babies found out today they can now fly :))) 4wks old the one fly for the 1st time today :)) think it scared him .
    you all have a great night , will check in tomorrow .
    good night all
    susie

• 18 years ago

Here is a recipe for you JO.

Chicken Fajitas
    3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. chile powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    1/4 tsp. red pepper
    Shredded cheddar cheese
    6 flour tortillas
    2 tsp. oil
    1 cup sliced onion
    1/2 cup sliced green pepper
    1/2 cup sliced red pepper
    1 1/2 tblsp. lime juice
    1/2 cup sour cream
    Salsa of your choice

Slice chicken into thin strips. Combine chicken,1 tsp. ground cumin,1 tsp. chile powder,1/4 tsp. salt,1/4 tsp. garlic powder,1/4 tsp. black pepper,1/4 tsp. red pepper in a bowl,mix well and allow to marinate for 10 minutes.

Heat oil in fry pan untill smoking, add meat mixture and vegetables; saute and stir for 7-12 minutes or until meat is cooked through.

Prepare tortilla shells according to package directions. Remove meat and vegetables from heat and stir in the lime juice and cheese. Divide the mixture evenly and place on the tortillas. Roll the tortilla into a fairly tight roll, Top with salsa, sour cram as desired. I also use black/green olives to garnish the top.

I wanted to get this in, and will get caught up reading the posts. I took a road trip to Iowa because my nephew's house caught fire. Everyone and pets got out without injury, but from the looks of it, I will not be surprised if the insurance adjuster calls it a total loss.

Have to run, I said I would cover half a shift tonight for someone at work.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• 18 years ago

OK back home. Here's the lris list but they will not sell them until next spring.

Bearded Iris

Masters touch
    all dressed up
    forge fire
    batik
    betsy's blue
    michigan pride
    olympiad
    congradulations
    speakeasy
    after the dawn
    altruist
    liaison
    gay parasol
    spartan
    edith wolford
    cycles
    study in black
    montrerided
    can can red
    color tart
    dwarf blue
    night owl
    certainly certainly
    coming attraction
    sultan's palace
    rose caprice
    batik
    pink taffata
    snow cloud
    samurai warrior
    jessie's song
    superstition
    silverado
    saphire hills
    feedback
    verigata
    late liftoff

If you want any of these please let me know and I will call them and have them save them for us.

Shirley

• 18 years ago

Howdy, all!

Well I think this super-cold virus we've been having is starting to back off. I think I may have gotten my flu shot and the flu the same day!! Gak.

Those sure are cute Hallowe'eners, everyone!

Been following the adventures of the great greenhouse bargain, too.

So sad to hear of beloved pets gone to heaven. Losing them is so hard!

Dawn, your box of shade perennials was great! Lots of new plants to look forward to in the spring. We've put in hellebores, pulmonaria, heuchera and heucherella, iris, clematis, foxgloves and more this fall. I'll have to label my mini-daffs. next spring so I can dig and trade some bulbs.

I knitted Luther an excellent brown ribbed sweater while I was sick. It makes him look distinguished, sort of like David Niven in a vest.

And talked today to my granddaughter Marie, who is now 11 lbs and 4 mos. old, and crows and giggles! We'll see her again at Christmas. I'm knitting for her, too.

In a day or three I should be up to speed; it's fun reading everybody's posts!

Barb

• 18 years ago

OH MY GOSH.... OK PAUL.... YOU CAN SURELY COME OUT NOW....
    AND M&M NAME... i MUST PRINT THAT OUT AND FRAME IT! TOO COOL...

i COULD LIVE OFF THOSE.... AND CANNA.. OH SO PRETTY... i WANT ONE WIT THE DAHLIA TOO.. YOU KNEW YIOU WERE ASKIG FOR IT TO POST THAT..

GLORIA SEE... IT COULD GO OVER THE I.. ILL BE WAITING... HOW ON EARTH DO YALL DO THAT?
    i LOVE KNOWING SMART PEOPLE! iTS SO FUN AND SAVES MY BRAIN FOR SO MUCH GOOD OTHER THINGS... i HAVE BEEN RUNNING TODAY.. MERCY.. SO MUCH TO DO... AND IM NOT EVEN TELLING.. HOLIDAY GRINS!
    i NEED 25 TURKEY COOKIE CUTTERS... YESTERDAY! HELP!

ANNIE WINS... I SAY NO MORE POSTING WITHOUT A RECIOPE FIRST SO HERES MINE.....

IM TELLING YOU CINDY MAKE UP ONE FOR JELLO! you HAVE GOT TO BE IN THIS.... BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY.. YOU JUST HAVE TO!!!

OK AT 130 AM HERE I AM TYPING RECIPES... YALL CAN TOO!

HERE YAH GO JO...
    NUMBER 1.

EASY MEATLOAF

ENOUGH MEAT TO MAKE A LOAF
    2 EGGS
    2 PIECES OF BREAD TORN UP
    1 JAR OF SPICY SALSA.
    MIX ALL UP, LOAF IT, BAKE IT, SERVE IT, EAT IT!
    NOTHING FASTER! 375 FOR 45 MINUTES... LET REST 10 MINUTES!

NUMBER 2.

cuban style pork roast..
    to die for..
    got this from famous resterant in Tampa...
    we love it!

Get a pork roast... your choice of pounds..
    soak it in MOHO... ( comes in bottle from publix grocery stores or can buy on internet... walley world here does not have it.
    it must soak for 24 hours...

then stab pork roast and put in fresh garlic pieces, about 12, no less into the stabs.

pepper the roast...

cook at 325 for 8 hours.... prepare to starve in this process.. cook the roast in the moho... should be half way up roast...
    the meat will fall off bone... your lips have never tasted anything so good...
    serve over rice.. yellow.. white.. doesnt matter..

we also serve with black beans... and i put the juice, about 1 cup in the black beans... hear me... this is sooo good! we crave it! its a great big meal for cheap.. feeds alot! great left overs, makes wonderful sandwhiches.
    ( warning there is alot of salt in the moho... so becareful how much you eat)( no, I dont have a clue Dr. why I have health promblems...) I see dawn shaking her head... hugs!

becuase of the garlic this is great for the system... and the toothpaste companys of america.... cause honey in the morning... you will need to brush.... three times! at least!

number 3.

chicken and white rice,,,

boil a chicken... remove it
    use the juice to make the rice
    2 cups juice per i cup rice
    when the rice is done... shred up that chicken and add it to the rice,,,, so easy so good.... my grandson Jordons faviort dish.

number 4.
    the easyiest mexican....

beef, scrambed add taco seasoning.
    2 cans refried beans, one cup sour cream.
    mix all together in one pot. When heated put in soft taco shells, add lettuce, tomatoe, cheeses, whatever you like on your tacos... we love these... another great extender recipe!
    number 5

and for Thanksgiving.... this is a old recipe and it cant be beat,,,

does anyone do this?

to bake your turkey and have it beat butterball for moistness....

put the turkey in a brown bag (after rubbing butter inside of skin... and seasoning it)
    close the brown bag up securely...
    now rub oil all over ALL of the brown bag... dripping with oil.. no dry spots...
    cook that turkey like you always have...
    this is the old way and its awesome! the biggest promblem is find ing brown paper bags! grin

do not let sides of bag extend past the roaster... it all must fit insdie the pan.
    hugs...

gloria who is now hungry and off to bed! zzzz

ps how do i make that siggy thing work now?

pps.. thanks paul

• 18 years ago

G..tried the jello thing before and didn't get away with it :).

Chops with Carmelized Applesauce

4 lean porkchops (bone in or boneless)
    soy sauce
    1 clove minced garlic
    6 oz (1/2 jar) applesauce
    1/2 of small box of raisins
    1 Cup granulated sugar
    1/2 stick butter

Marinade pork chops in soy sauce and garlic while preparing the topping sauce. Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet, heat the butter until melted, then add sugar over med-high heat, stirring constantly. Warm applesauce in a seperate pan on low-med heat with raisins in it. Heat sugar mixture until it becomes carmelized (this may take awhile) into a liquid toffee consistancy and color. Then pour in applesauce, stirring rapidly. Some of the sugar will crystalize back out of the mixture and you should remove these. Cook the pork chops however you like - pan saute, grill or broil. Spoon sauce over top.

Wow these signs are all great. Paul that m&m one is too cool.

Annie, so glad to hear your family is ok.

Marea, lol obsessions. i think they only get larger here :). Im now going to have to go and look up the ones everyone else liked too! And those iris too...Shirley is there a good site to look up iris? Sharon...not sure if its still there, but i think I saw Blackberries and cream recently on the la...

Susie....look for the link just below the pics i posted..

Nancy, Jo, ...missing? - just love those two. great doubles here:).

Gotta run to work.

Cindy )/namso

• 18 years ago

Gm All
    I just wanted to hand out a little advise to a few
    of my gardening friends .:)) I hope it helps.:)))

also cindy ty I will go take a look.
    I have a busy day ahead will try to peek back in later this evening .

susie

NEVER BRING PLANTS INTO THE HOUSE

Garden Grass Snakes (also known as Garter Snakes) can be dangerous... Yes, grass snakes, not rattlesnakes.

Here's why...

A couple in Sweetwater, Texas, had a lot of potted plants. During a recent cold spell, the wife was bringing a lot of them indoors to protect them from a possible freeze.

It turned out that a little green garden grass snake was hidden in one of the plants and when it had warmed up, it slithered out and the wife saw it go under the sofa. She let out a very loud scream.

The husband (who was taking a shower) ran out into the living room naked to see what the problem was. She told him there was a snake under the sofa.

He got down on the floor on his hands and knees to look for it. About that time the family dog came and cold-nosed him on the behind. He thought the snake had bitten him, so he screamed and fell over on the floor.

His wife thought he had a heart attack, so she covered him up, told him to lie still and called an ambulance . The attendants rushed in, wouldn't listen to his protests and loaded him on the stretcher and started carrying him out.

About that time the snake came out from under the sofa and the Emergency Medical Technician saw it and dropped his end of the stretcher. That's when the man broke his leg and why he was kept in the hospital.

The wife still had the problem of the snake in the house, so she called on a neighbor man. He volunteered to capture the snake. He armed himself with a rolled-up newspaper and began poking under the couch. Soon he decided it was gone and told the woman, who sat down on the sofa in relief. But while relaxing, her hand dangled in between the cushions, where she felt the snake wriggling around. She screamed and fainted, the snake rushed back under the sofa.

The neighbor man, seeing her lying there passed out, tried to use CPR to revive her.

The neighbor's wife, who had just returned from shopping at the grocery store, saw her husband's mouth on the woman's mouth and slammed her husband in the back of the head with a bag of canned goods, knocking him out and cutting his scalp to a point where it needed stitches.

The noise woke the woman from her dead faint and she saw her neighbor lying on the floor with his wife bending over him, so she assumed he had been bitten by the snake. She went to the kitchen and got a small bottle of whiskey, and began pouring it down the man's throat.

By now the police had arrived.

They saw the unconscious man, smelled the whiskey, and assumed that a drunken fight had occurred. They were about to arrest them all, when the women tried to explain how it all happened over a little green snake.

The police called an ambulance, which took away the neighbor and his sobbing wife. The little snake again crawled out from under the sofa. One of the policemen drew his gun and fired at it. He missed the snake and hit the leg of the end table. The table fell over and the lamp on it shattered and as the bulb broke it started a fire in the drapes. The other policeman tried to beat out the flames, and fell through the window into the yard on top of the family dog who, startled, jumped out and raced into the street, where an oncoming car swerved to avoid it and smashed into the parked police car.

Meanwhile, the burning drapes, were seen by the neighbors who called the fire department. The firemen had started raising the fire truck ladder when they were halfway down the street. The rising ladder tore out the overhead wires and put out the electricity and disconnected the telephones in a ten-square city block area (but they did get the house fire out).

Time passed. Both men were discharged from the hospital, the house was repaired, the dog came home, the police acquired a new car, and all was right with their world.

A while later they were watching TV and the weatherman announced a cold snap for that night. The husband asked his wife if she thought they should bring in their plants for the night.

That's when she shot him.

• 18 years ago

Susie-That was priceless. Sounds like something that would happen to me.

Gloria-----You are not going to believe this but I just joined a garden club TODAY and found a nice gentleman who has more dahlias. YEah Yeah Yeah I am going to see him.
    Also they told me there's a dahlia farm in Highlands, NC and one in Cashiers, NC. Both places are not that far from here. I will check them out too. I had the most fun and they really wanted to hear what I had to say. I am doing the special plant at the meeting in January. Hope I don't get nervous and faint. I will have to do alot of talking. I think I can do it.

Shirley

• 18 years ago

HI Mamma G, Mamma Bear, G, Gloria & Flowersforme123.....

Tail between my leg's, You see I have a very good explanation...No really I do, but now I will have all the rest made at me, You see I copied & pasted everyone's names from our master E-mail & I was going to add you on first, & as you see I total forgot to do so & forgot to even add hi, You see Mamma G, I did not want to copy you & add you in at like 7 or 8, You do understand right???????

Shirley,
    Do they need money to hold them, I want LOT's & I mean LOT's, Should I call them?

Crap DH just got home, I know the first thing out of his mouth will be WHAT WE EATING???

Have a great day all..:)Anita

• 18 years ago

Phew... out of the corner and back in the mix :-). G, right click on sig, save to hard drive, upload to an online photo place (like photobucket.com), copy the img tag, and paste into your post. VOILA!

Dawn, I use Photoshop.

Jo, here's a recipe for Spicy BBQ Chicken Wings.

HOT BBQ SAUCE:
    1 stick of butter,
    2 cups of brown sugar,
    2 cups of hot sauce,
    2 tablespoons of vinegar
    Combine ingredients and warm on stove or in microwave until butter and sugar melts, set aside.

COATING MIX:
    1/4 cup of black pepper,
    1/4 cup of chili powder,
    1/4 cup of paprika,
    1/4 cup of rosemary,
    1/4 cup of minced garlic,
    1/2 cup Italian seasoning,
    2 tablespoons of red pepper
    whatever else you think will be good (more or less to taste)
    Mix in bowl

Rinse and drain 8 pounds wings. Coat the wings with some Hot BBQ Sauce. Toss the wings in the Coating Mix. Place the wings on the top shelf of the bbq grill and cook slowly at low temperatures. Brush on/spray on the Hot BBQ Sauce every 10 to 15 minutes as you flip them. Ready to eat in 1.5 to 2 hours. YUMMY!

Thanks,

• 18 years ago

HI EVERYONE:)

• 18 years ago

Anita! Stop yelling! You're making the neighbor's dog bark!

LOL!

~Canna

• 18 years ago

Hi all, here is a link from poochy with great dahlia info.
    http://www.dahlias.net/dahwebpg/TuberStor/TuberStor1.htm
    after reading if Shirley, Mamma or other person in dahlia swap wish to wait untill spring just lmk
    Thankyou carol

• 18 years ago

Paul, I am a Photoshop Phan too! :)

~Canna

• 18 years ago

• 18 years ago

Checking in again. The recipes sound good, so keep them coming. I also love the signatures... someone will have to show me how, or do I need a special program to do them?

I want to thank Dawn(mammabird) for the (just because) suprise package. She sent me a note tablet that has Raggedyann and Andy on them. Soooo cute, and thank you very much.

Shirley, can you tell me if we send the money now for the iris to be held back?

Need more coffee to get me going. I have a 12 hr shift, then off till Friday.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• 18 years ago

Ok here is my first attempt at a floral siggy. I use paint shop pro.{{gwi:1302817}}

• 18 years ago

Morrocan Chicken Kudra

1 C whole blanched almonds
    1/2 C cooked chick peas (garbanzos)
    1/4 tsp saffron mixed with a little turmeric
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    Salt to taste
    3 T butter
    1 chicken, quartered, rubbed with garlic
    4 C chicken stock
    2 onions, coarsely chopped
    1/4 C chopped parsley
    Juice of 1 lemon

Simmer almonds in water and simmer til soft (2 hours or so)

In deep skillet, combine butter, spices, salt and garlic-rubbed chicken. Cook over low heat, without browning, 5 min., turning often to coat.

Add to pot onions, parsley and stock. Simmer 30 min. or until meat falls off bone.

Place meat on warmed serving platter. Add chick peas to sauce. Boil down to a thick gravy. Add almonds. Add lemon juice to cut the richness of the sauce. Serve hot with rice.

Serves 4-5

We really like this! Got it from European friends from N. Africa years ago. If you can't get saffron, it's pretty darn good without. Freezes and rewarms well.

Cheers!

Barb

• 18 years ago

Ok, Canna. I'll see your froggy and raise you an animation... LOL.

I hope mamabear is happy.
    Paul

• 18 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Oh I love all the new signatures!

Loved the snake story! I hate snakes! had one get in my basement once...I about died of fright!

Oh some yummy recipes...can hardly wait for the cookbook!

Here is the first recipe: I promised Joann I would get it in tonight!

Baked Salmon Dijon
    1/2 cup butter
    6 Tbsp prepared Dijon mustard
    3 Tbsp honey
    1/2 cup "Trisket" crackers-chopped
    1/2 cup pecans-chopped
    1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
    4-4 oz salmon filets
    Preheat oven to 400. Mix together butter, mustard, and honey. Make a foil "boat"and place salmon in boat.(I like to place the "boat in a 9X13 pan) Lightly salt and pepper fish. Pour sauce over fish. Marinate for awhile.Before baking, sprinkle triskets, pecans and parsley over fish. Bake for 10-15 minutes or till fish flakes with a fork. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with lemon slices if desired.
    I may find one more before the ?deadline
    MaryS

• 18 years ago

OH my..... paul, my name has never looked more beautiful.... never... thaought canna had you.. but then she blew it,,, and everyone who knows us knows canna is in the closet.. worse than the corner! One word we cant say here is the f word.... and she did it! frog.... oh yuck!

Cindy.... YOU did so good! and the rest of you darlings who really did post a recipe.. see paul, it takes mambear snappin that ol hickery switch and they all, except for Canna line up sweety,,,, grin.. Canna, this is gonna take you alot of chocolte this time!!!!!

I love the sound of those recipesand im trying them this week!

jo are you not jazzed!

shirley I am movin in with you soon! YOU ARE on it.. you go girl and get us lots of deals!!!!!

I have more recipes, its 1132 here and tonight i am old...

debbie put "THAT'" book down girl... grin!!!

very encouraged by recipes... great job! A+ for all the good bears.... santa is watchin...

anita, your forgiven... I have tons of grace for a forgetful mind... tons....

cant stay awke a second longer///ZZZZZ gloria

• 18 years ago

Hello everyone... We had snow today in Sunny Central Oregon. In memory of summer I staged my own protest by wearing my Stars and Stripes Birk's. I'm not much of a 'poster' but I read all of yours and smile alot. I have a snake story. My neighbor's oldest daughter Crystal brought her snake over to the chain link fence that separates our property for show and tail. I didn't like it much and told her so. She had it wrapped around her neck. It was a 6 foot python of some kind. These neighbors are not really into yard work at all but they do mow the back yard regularly. She unwinds the snake from her neck and sets him/ her down on the ground and it wriggles away some 6 or so feet and then it stands up so it could see where it is headed. I had a minor fit. It was an awful sight to see that snake standing up. I about died. I told her I did not need any more views of that particular pet.
    I would like to ask about your luck with 2 daylilies that are not newbies but that I have admired on-line photos of. One is Siloam Ralph Henry and a double Peggy Jeff something. For now these are my wishes for 2006. What do you think??? Marea indicated she has recently joined the AHS. I rejoined in early October. The Daylily Journal comes with your membership of $18.00 per year. It is a quarterly magazine and is full of information from those who know more than me. I have been able to find some back issues of The Daylily Journal on eBay and have had some enjoyable evenings looking them over. I emailed my questionaire out to our 'family' but think I may have erred somehow because of Shirley's (brittneysgran) post yesterday. So now what? I've received several of yours but not all. You are all interesting people. It continues to amaze me that I have friends all over our great country. SherryB aka msbernard

• 18 years ago

Jo - my apologies, too. Here's my main dish recipe from the days i used to eat before i found the lily auction & stopped buying groceries:
    Spinich Fritatta
    Basicaly an Italian omelete, I got this recipe from the daughter of the owners of a famous Chicago Italian restaurant, in trade for riding lessons... I've kept it secret for nearly 30 years - I think it's OK to share now.
    1/2 medium onion - finely sliced & chopped
    1/2 sweet pepper - seeded & finely sliced
    2 cloves raw garlic, finely chopped
    2 T olive oil
    2 T real butter
    Cook onion mixture in butter & oil on medium low heat until transparent & fragrant & just starting to get golden then immediately add egg/spinich mixture:
    6 whole eggs
    1/4 tsp Secret Italian Seasoning (or your preferred mix of Thyme, Basil, Oregano, Parsley, Savory, Fennel, Cinnamon & Marjoram)
    good pinch salt & fresh pepper to taste.
    Mix well then add
    1 C steamed, canned or frozen (thawed) chopped Spinich & stir well.
    Pour egg mixture into onion/garlic mixture in pan, cover and cook for 5 minutes on low. Check to see if cooking unevenly - carefully lift egdes with spatula and let uncooked mixture flow below. Add a little more butter or extra virgin olive oil if needed to keep frittata from sticking, top with shredded parmesan cheese then cover and cook for an additional 5 to 8 minutes for a nice golden bottom. Serve with baked garlic butter french bread and salad.

Those are the most beautiful Glorias I have even seen too! ~ Marea - who hopes to learn photoshop one day - awesome!

Here's what was probably my last daylily flower of the year - it snowed all day today. Siloam Sunburst ~
    {{gwi:1234134}}

• 18 years ago

I emailed Sherry - cuz she & I were posting at the same time - but I thought I should repeat out loud that Debbie ("budsnblooms") has been doing a grand job of compiling our member list & she asked ya'll new family members to email her your contact info - please send her your mailing & email addresses, along with your birth date, so we can all easily & quickly get on the same mailing list. 'K? ~m'

• 18 years ago

Cindy-I like Suttons iris site. I did find most of the iris but the one called montrerided I did not. Will have to ask what it looks like. Jo could not find it either.

All these recipes are starving me to death.

Marea-Before I got into buying plants my cupboards looked liked the grocery store. My daughter used to tell people if you need an ingredient for cooking and don't have it borrow it from Mom she has it. Not anymore I hate spending my money at the grocery store, need it all for plants.

Annie & Anita We will take up the money in the Spring when I go get the iris.

Annie-Did all the iris I sent you live? Hope so.

Sherry-Daylily Peggy Jeffcoat is one of my favorites. I have Siloam Ralph Henry and like it too.

Shirley

• 18 years ago
  • 18 years ago

back to the corner. paul...................... it didnt work.....

mama bear, sad bear,,,

and growling!