SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
latebloom_gw

Tomato Transplants--Too Late for Deep Trench?

latebloom
13 years ago

Hey all, I'm a real gardening novice, so if you could bear with me I'd really appreciate it. I couldn't quite find an answer to this question here or elsewhere on the internet, so I was hoping one of the kind experts here could lend me a hand.

I got a late start this year, but had purchased around 5 transplants over the past month [I know, I should have gotten started earlier, but classic 'business' distracted me from being able to spend as much time on the garden as desired]

Finally, the weather was nice enough to transplant, so I planted them using the trench method. I planted them so that only their top two leaves and about an inch or two of the stem were left (the rest were all trimmed).

Since the plants were spindly and tall (from 6 inches to about a foot or so) My thought was that this would allow a greater root system to develop, and the plant to focus on growth. Now that I think about it, however, I'm wondering if this was a bad idea, given the late start the tomatoes already have.

Will a tomato vine in this manner grow fast enough to produce fruit on time? If not, should I re-adjust the plant so more of its stem protrudes?

What course of action would you recommend to a newbie gardener who may have blown it?

Thanks,

Dave

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz