SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

New Gardener at WalMart

denisew
17 years ago

I was at WalMart a few nights ago and saw this lady getting all kinds of plants for her garden. I overheard her saying to her daughter that she wanted to go get some of their roses. She was so excited about planting everything the next day saying how pretty her yard was going to be. I knew they had Knockout roses in the front, so I suggested she get those since they're so easy to grow. The next time I saw her she had some miniature roses that already had balckspot on them. I asked her if she saw the Knockout roses and she said, "These aren't knockout?" I told her they weren't, but if she were to add some compost to her garden they would probably do okay. Her next question was, "What's compost?" I explained it to her (WalMart didn't have bagged compost to sell) and suggested she get some Knockout roses and told her again where they were. I did see her purchasing some bagged "garden soil" and when we were leaving she finally found the Knockout roses. I figured if anything survives her garden, it will be those roses. I wish I had more time to explain and show her what and where she should plant the things that were in her cart. She had mostly things for full sun - one or two of this and one or two of that - but also had impatiens which will melt in the sun. I guess she will learn by doing. I think that is how many of us have learned to garden. I know many of us are fairly experienced and hope if you see someone who is new to gardening like this that you take a few seconds to help them out too. There were so many things I wanted to share with her, but my husband and boys were ready to go.

Comments (4)