SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

Organic bug control - spider mites and fire aunts

elphaba_gw
17 years ago

Scattering sunflower seeds among the vegetables on a weekly basis is reputed to eliminate spider mites. Seems that the birds stop by to eat the sunflower seeds and they take care of the spider mites as a "side dish". Someone on another forum said that they have gone from having serious spider mite problems to none at all.

And a tip that I personally have had good luck with is eliminating fire ants with used coffee grounds (UCG). If you fling a couple handfuls of UCG on a fire ant mound, the ants will be gone in a short time (maybe 2-4 days). I get free used coffee grinds from Starbucks, not sure if there is anything different about their "brand". Got this idea also from another web forum. The theory is that the fire ants don't die but they move somewhere else. I used this trick a couple months ago in my front yard and it worked great. And I haven't seen another fire ant mound in quite some time. So if they do move somewhere else, they seem to move somewhat far away. (Our urban property lots are small, only 50 ft wide).

Comments (3)