SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nohandle

the perfect tree?

nohandle
18 years ago

I probably could have posted this in other forums, but I follow this one closely and I just know many of you will be able to help me. I'll try to make this as short and to-the-point as possible...

I just got myself a new backyard (and a house of course) and I'm pretty much starting from scratch. It's on the small side, about 60' x 60'.

In the back corner there is an existing Balsam Fir, approx. 12' high with an 8' spread. This tree is not going anywhere as it blocks the neighbour's view of my yard from their kitchen, deck etc.

There is a mature maple towards the back centre of the yard, about 20 feet away from the fir. The maple has about a 2' diameter trunk (I think it's a silver maple) and thus is quite tall (maybe 60').

On the other side of the fir, to the southwest in my neighbour's yard, there is a mature oak (white?). It is about the same size and spread as the maple. The two large trees are about 40' or 50' apart and their main branches start at about 30' off the ground.

What I'm looking for is the perfect tree to put in between all this. I have marked a location about halfway between the fir and the maple and about 8' - 10' away from the back fence. My backyard is on the west side of my house (my front door faces east), so the oak will block most of the afternoon sun. I understand that I should be looking for an understorey tree, but I also have a few other stipulations.

1) This tree will pretty much be the focal point of my yard as seen from inside the house, so it must have four season interest (form, fruit, flowers, bark etc.)

2) It must attract birds

3) It must be native to Southern Ontario

4) For the sanity of future owners, it must have a limited height (max 30') and spread (15' - 20'). I can't stand it when I see someone plant a tree in the wrong spot (like my brother who planted a paperbirch two feet away from the back of his house...what an idiot!!!..but that's a different story).

So far, I am seriously considering a Flowering Dogwood.

What do you think?...good choice?...or can someone recommend something better?

Thanks for reading this and helping me find this panacea of trees.

Comments (9)