SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rweakley

Cherokee Purple Shape

rweakley
11 years ago

I grew three CPs this year (first year). These seem to be having issues in shape and texture. Some are growing almost like saddles and have weird "sink holes" on the blossom end. My wife calls them tomato butts. Others grow in a saddle shape. They don't necessarily fit the description of cat-facing that I've seen, just weirdly shaped. My cherry tomatoes and my red slicers and paste tomatoes all have the normal shape designated for them.

Another issue is that some of the CPs are VERY soft on the bottom half of the tomato. Kind of reminds me of a guy I knew that got 2nd degree burn blisters. Tight skin, but you could tell it was full of liquid. The ones that do this have a very soft flesh. I have been slicing off that end and just kind of squeezing the flesh into my mouth; they taste amazing despite the texture. It does, however, render the thing useless for slicing.

On others the top half is a very pale yellowish color. The flesh underneath mimics the skin and has a lot of green veins.

I do get fruits that are the nice deep color with an attractive green shoulder. So I know at least SOME of them like what I'm giving them!

Is this variety finicky? I absolutely love the flavor, but am considering replacing it next year with Black Krims or something more slice-worthy. I like tomato on my sandwiches and other food staples, and these aren't cutting the proverbial mustard in that regard.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Randy

P.S. I'll get a picture of one if I can. I used them all up this morning in some pico de gallo.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH