SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexshrugged

Transplanting container tomato into ground?

alexshrugged
11 years ago

I have a Black Sea Man plant growing in a 5 gal pot which (not for lack of trying) looked doomed. I was trying to grow all organically, and it wasn't working in the small pot. I thought it was diseased or dead, and was ready to throw it out, but then I used some MG fertilizer on it, and it miraculously came back to life (pun intended). Problem is, it's top heavy -- the bottom is still pretty bare and sad, and the top is lush and happy, and already loaded with a couple tomatoes.

All my in-ground tomatoes (grown organically) are doing amazingly, and I think I can make room for one more. I'd love to move this one into the ground, since I seem to have a greener thumb there than in pots. Also, I thought I could plant it really deep, since the bottom half of the plant looks kind of leggy and sad anyway.

Problem is, it already has tomatoes on it. I'm worried that if I transplant now, it'll drop the tomatoes and blossoms it already has, and I risk losing a substantial portion of the harvest, especially since it is a Determinate plant.

I'm really new to gardening (as in, this is the first year I've picked up a spade), so I'd love any advice on what to do!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm