SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avajay_gw

Transplanting one that's already in-ground

avajay
14 years ago

About 6-8 weeks ago, I transplanted a WalMart seedling of cherry toms, not realizing that it was double-planted. I had only bought that plant because it was one of the healthiest ones there that day, even though I don't particularly care for cherries. I decided to go ahead and grow the 2 vines as they were, mainly for an experiment to see what would happen, as the cherry was the most expendible to me. They're now a couple feet tall and bearing tiny green fruit.

I conversed with an acquaintance last night who just LOVES them things. I'm thinking now that, if I can do it without killing it, I might pull up one out of my double to give to him. How is this done, if at all? I'm thinking I can use a shovel or trowel to make a semi-circle incision into the soil about 8" to 12" from the base of the chosen stem, loosen that side of the root ball, then holding that loosened chunk of soil with one hand while holding the base of the stem with the other, and pull.

Now, I did a very newbie thing when I put this into the ground in the first place, and in my defense, it was before I started my reading for info on tomato growing. I planted it over the concrete topper of my septic tank, and there's probably less than a foot of soil, so these roots have not gone deep, so I imagine that the roots will grow more laterally to compensate. If this is the case, will I need to cut further from the base to include more root, or will the cut roots simply re-grow once introduced into new soil. I'm limited on containers, but I have a rubber dishpan that's 12" W, 14" L and 7" deep that I grew a tom in last year, and I think that's probably the best choice for handling the lateral roots.

So, whaddya all think? Is it doable? If I have a waiting container with some well-draining potting soil, is that enough to sustain the plant until he decides what he wants to do with it? Will my remaining plant suffer much (I don't mean emotionally)? It will probably be several days before I see him to find out if he can even keep a plant (I don't know where he lives or his living situation). Will the fruit that's already set die and drop, or will the ripening simply be delayed a bit?

Who's done this before?

Thanks,

Joyce

Comments (6)