SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwilson_gardener

A bug infestation in my worm bin

jwilson_gardener
14 years ago

I have a bug infestation in my worm bin, and they don't look like any of the usual suspects I've read about. I posted a photo which I hope might clear things up. They're about the size of a fruit fly or smaller.

I always cover everything in my worm bin with at least an inch (usually more like two inches) of shredded paper and I cover all of that loosely with sheets of cardboard. The bedding feels spongy but not wet, so I don't *think* it's a moisture issue. I also stopped feeding about a month ago to see if maybe I was overfeeding, but the little buggers persist. These little bugs are ALL OVER the inside of the lid and the top of the cardboard when I open the lid, but when I pull back the cardboard they're in the bedding too. The bigger problem is that they're escaping now and are all over my kitchen. They go straight for windows and light sources. I can't figure out what they are, but I need to control the population or the worm bin will have to stay outside. I can't have insects inside in that number.

Any help would be very very greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: The bug in question

Comments (12)