SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfed_gw

The Noob Story Continues 06/19 (many pics)

cfed
14 years ago

Ok, thought I'd post an update since there have been some significant developments since my last post.

TOMATOES

First off, I realized my plants were getting too big for me to continue putting off giving them some kind of support. After doing quite a lot of reading, it seemed like a "Florida weave" setup would do really well in my yard. The main concern for me was making something sturdy enough to support some fairly heavy vines, and having some mechanism that allowed me to keep the twine taut. My solution to this was to use PVC. It may not be as visually appealing as I would've liked, but I think it will do the job. Between every 3 plants, I sunk a 1' length of 2" diameter PVC into the ground, leaving 4" above the soil line. Each one of these has a hole drilled in it big enough for me to stick a large nail into. Then into each of these in inserted a 5' length of 1.5" PVC. At the base, the PVC has a series of holes around the circumference lining up with the hole in the soil-embedded pipe. Then up each pipe I've cut deep slits every 6" to use when wrapping the twine. The idea is that, should slack develop in the twine, I can remove the nail, twist the pipe until it's tight again, and re-insert the nail to keep the pipe locked in place. It has the added benefit that when winter rolls around, I can easily remove the pipes and store them in the garage. And setup the following year should be trivial.

Enough yapping, here's some pics of the first row I put up.

Next up in tomato news - the Brandywine are setting more and more fruit every day. I'm definitely pleased. Here's some of the new guys.

Yeah, that's the garden border in the background. I'll get around to it, I swear!

Stupice is being all Stupicey.

Sweet 100 wins the race for first blush on a tomato. It's definitely on pace to more than live up to its name... but does it have to insist on putting fruit on the ground!? I put down some landscape fabric to keep it out of the dirt.

For now the big letdowns are Cherokee Chocolate (0 fruit from 2 plants), Lillian's Yellow (1 fruit from 3 plants), and Aunt Ruby's German Green (1 fruit from 2 plants). No pictures of them. They're in time-out.

NOT TOMATOES

My little basil plants got big enough to warrant a little breathing room. I got a couple of nice self-watering pots, some MG potting mix and perlite and hooked them up with a new home.

They're sharing this pot with one of my leftover Stupice. He didn't make it into the garden because he started out smaller than the rest... but that hasn't stopped him from setting fruit.

The squash have officially gone crazy.

I brought in my first squash and zucchini. The wife put them to good use!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Also not pictured: I started some ground cherry from seed. Of the 15 I put in, 4 have germinated. I expect I'll get more, but I've read that they're not the easiest to wake up. As soon as they start doing something interesting I'll get some pics.

MORE TO COME!

Mulch (probably!)...

Border (lol)...

Ripe fruit (hopefully)...

I think I may just be hooked on this gardening thing...

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor