SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanzeyw

plumeria noob (abc store victim) with a couple of questions

nanzey
16 years ago

Hiya!

Yes, I went to Hawaii, fell in love with the plumeria and of course did the impulse buy at the abc store and came home with a plumeria cutting.

It's a pretty thick branch (i dug thru the rack) and about 8 or 10 inches long and splits into 3 "nodes"? at the top.

Of course I came back from vacation and got busy and the poor thing has been sitting around for a month.

I took it to my local knowledgable garden center yesterday and asked what soil/pot they recommend for it (going on a balcony in coastal cali).

They recommended a 6-8 inch pot (ended up with a 7? who knew) and their organic cactus soil.

The woman who helped me ran in back to see if she had an open bottle of rootone to dust it for me - but she didn't have one. She said it would probably root without it and should do well. Then she filled up my pot with dirt for free and wished me luck!

I want to get this guy in the pot asap -

SO - my questions

1) is it necessary to use the rootone? I don't really have any other uses for so hate to buy any.

2) do I need to add anything to the soil? should it be lighter?

3) Is it necessary with a terracotta pot (large hole in the bottom) to put stones or gravel in the bottom first?

4) I've got too balconies, one facing east and the other facing south. The east one loses direct sun mid day but gets alot of light bouncing from the other building. The south one gets more direct light.

Sorry for the ramble - I look forward to becoming an addict like the rest of you!

Thanks!

Nancey

Comments (22)