SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seamommy

Strolling in the Garden

seamommy
16 years ago

This morning before I went to work I decided to take a little stroll through my gardens. My roses are blooming their heads off. The rose garden is arranged around the patio and has an additional path around the ouside edge so you can view (or deadhead) from both sides of every plant. Out in the yard by herself is a huge Penelope Rose that never did well in the garden with the other roses; she has thrived in the common soil of the yard for the past 4 years though and is now nearly 10 feet wide. There is a Climbing Dortmund in a white lattice arbor whose vivid red blooms smell as sweet as they look. Next to the garage wall is a Climbing America in full bloom.

In the front garden are a thousand larkspur in all stages of growth and bloom. Some are still small, some over 4' tall. They range in colors from deepest violet to snowy white. The seeds for these larkspur came from my mother, who got them from her mother in Ada, Oklahoma, who got them from her mother in Bakers Crossroads, TN in 1914. The elephant ears are just beginning to poke up out of the moist earth and are pushing the red trumpet amaryllis aside as they do. The peonies in fuschia, red and white were nodding from the weight of their blooms and the scent was delicate and sweet.

Iris's are still blooming, purple, yellow, golden, amber, apricot, pink and white. You hardly notice them until they bloom and then there they are right under your nose. Hollyhocks are nosing their way up to the top of the fence and the huge, heavy bloom heads are forming. Weigelia's are covered in scarlet blooms that won't stop until first frost. The hibiscus, Goin' Steady, has it's first huge bloom of the summer. The sweet violets lining the pathways have perky little blooms of deepest purple and the snapdragons behind them look like they're made of red velvet.

Several columbines are blooming and some lavender ones have already gone to seed. Tall yellow and white columbine comes up to my fingertips and the Shasta daisies among them are pristine. The pink columbine is only in it's second year and looks a little punk in it's pressent location. I'll move her where she gets more sun. White cloumbines are very elegant, and that red and purple columbine moved herself 4' away from where I planted her last year. How do they do that?

My apricot, peach, apple and pear trees have all set fruit and are looking very healthy. The oak trees are fully leafed out and the grass under them is thickening and greening. The pecan trees have started leafing out and spreading their shade over the house and porches. The little dogwoods didn't bloom again this year, but the redbuds did. One of the red Japanese maples died back nearly to the ground but is coming back out now from the bottom.

The hydrangeas were bitten by the late freeze and parts of them look a little bare, but they're all putting out lush new growth. Bleeding hearts are blooming, but garden phlox, monarda and lantanas are still working up to it. Texas Star Hibiscus and Sunset Hibiscus are still tiny seedlings today; I'll look out one day soon and they'll be 3' tall and blooming and I'll wonder when that happened.

After looking at everything I sat for a few minutes by the tiny koi pond. I added a little bog filter system and waterfall last weekend and they love to swim towards the flowing water. It's very calming to watch.

The last thought that went through my mind as I was leaving for work was, why in the world do we work 5 days and garden for only two? Isn't that a silly concept? Cheryl

Comments (14)