SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindseyrose_gw

Ligustrum flowering, pruning: what's the secret?

lindseyrose
17 years ago

Everyone's ligustrums are going CRAZY with blooms right now. The whole neighborhood is scented. There is one exception, and that is MY ligustrum. While they have a few blooms, I think we must have pruned at the wrong time and cut off all the potential flowers.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the ligustrum must put out flowers on new growth. If so, when should we prune to encourage flowers?

Our problem is that our ligustrums are planted very poorly-3 in too small and narrow of a bed, with height restrictions, and 1 right up against the garage and driveway. If we don't prune the garage one OFTEN, it begins to block the path our vehicle needs to get into the garage. So we pruned the garage one hard a month or so ago (trained it up to a tree actually, which I think will work MUCH better than a nondescript box right there) which I guess limited flower production.

But the 3 that are planted hedge-style in the too-small bed? We didn't touch them this spring, and they have minimal flowers as well.

What's the deal? These plants are approximately 25 years old.

For the record, I really hate them and wish they weren't there. But, might as well make the best of it until I can make changes, right? And I think that would include encouraging flower blooms in the spring. :D

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting