SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gobig_or_gohome_toms

My tomato Container Garden

Been lurking around the site the last few days and have found allot of useful information I got the tomato growing bug a few years ago and this is my 3 year growing them in pots with varied results each year. I live in a suburb of Minneapolis in a townhouse that gets full sun from about 10 A.M. until sunset and have 8 tomatoes in containers and one in the ground next to the garage. 3 of the plants are on an upper level deck that gets very warm close to 100 everyday so this year I am trying a burpee plant that I started from seed called HeatWave 2 which were put outside on Mothers day and are now about 4 feet high and very bushy with tons of flowers and about 6 new small tomatoes on each plant.

The other plants I have are 2 mortgage lifters that I stated from seed (first year trying) they are about 5 feet tall and have a couple small tomatoes on them.

2 Better Boys that I ordered plants from Burpee (Big mistake I could have started them from seed and had them outside two weeks prior to getting the plants) But they are coming on strong now and are probably 3 feet tall and flowering.

1 Super Fantastic purchased from a garden center.

1 Better Boy Bush (purchased same as better boy) Which is only about 20-24 inches tall and is just starting to get bushy.

I think my biggest problem is controlling the moisture levels in the containers they are 20 inch containers and each contain 2.5 cubic feet of potting mix. I have not read allot on the self watering earth boxes and if those might be a better solution for me.

I love beefsteak tomatoes and after reading so much on Heirlooms I really want to try and grow more of them next year but being in zone 4 I am not sure if I should be trying to grow anything with more 75 days to maturity. Mortgage lifter is the first experiment this year and it is 80 days.

I think I will try Anna Russian next year as it looked to be an earlier variety.

Any thoughts on a good beefsteak that like hot weather for the containers on my deck would be appreciated.

Anyway thanks for reading and I will try and help out when I can.

Comments (3)