SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
howelbama

My container veggie garden/urban garden pics.

13 years ago

Here are some pics of the first season of my container/urban garden.

The perennials in the mulched area were put in last year, though I did rearange some this spring and also ammended the soil a bit and mulched it. Last year it was just grass with plants...

I am growing a couple types of watermelon, muskmelon, strawberries, peppers, and tomatoes this year.

I plan to make quite a few changes this fall in preparation for next spring/summer season. I am not sure if I am going to continue with containers or try out a square foot raised bed approach. I would like to add a half hoop/greenhouse type structure off of the railing on the deck that has most of the containers in front of it.

Any comments and/or feedback is appreciated.

Had I found this forum earlier/did more homework prior to starting my garden... I would have gone with Al's mix in my containers. I have more of a SFG type Mel's mix in them now. They are full of about 1/3 peat, 1/3 perlite or vermiculite or a mix of both, and 1/3 potting soil.

The drainage is good, but they stay a little too moist I think. The heavy rains and cloudy days have been a challenge as well... managed to save them from a nice hail storm a few weeks ago, and believe it or not we had a funnel cloud touch down here in NJ. Not that common around here, it was only a few miles from my home. It wasn't huge, but certainley did damage. Fortunately the storm passed to the south west of me.

Thanks

{{gwi:39669}}

{{gwi:39670}}

{{gwi:39672}}

{{gwi:39673}}

{{gwi:39674}}

{{gwi:39675}}

{{gwi:39676}}

{{gwi:39677}}

{{gwi:39678}}

{{gwi:39679}}

{{gwi:39680}}