SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abbeysdad

Worms in an unheated basement

AbbeysDad
18 years ago

I had the idea that I'd purchase a pound of red worms to put in my outdoor EarthMachine to do vermicomposting there. I received them in early summer and held them in a 5 gallon bucket in the basement. I prepared the EarthMachine to receive them, but our summer was so very hot and dry, I just left the worms in the cool basement. I just transfered them to a bin, but realize they will become basically dormant in my unheated basement this winter. The basement is about 50-55F in the winter. I'm pretty sure convincing my wife to keep them upstairs will be hopeless.

I'm thinking about keeping them on (or slightly above) a seed starting heating mat. Has anyone ever tried something like this. Is the optimum bedding temperature same as room at about 65-70F?

Oh yea, one last question. The worms I got were skinny little things and haven't grown much over the summer/fall. Did I get taken with small bedrun worms that will take a long time to mature or are there some very small redworm like species being sold as regular redworms?

Thanks!

Comments (21)