SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chuckiebtoo

Amazing, but true...survivor worms

chuckiebtoo
18 years ago

Amazing isn't a term I throw around loosely, but I gotta tell ya'll something amazing that I happened upon this afternoon.

I have a 32 gal. plastic garbage barrel that I store vermicompost (sorry Kelly) in after I've removed most worms and cocoons from it. The barrel has been full now for about three months during which I've neither added moisture or anything else. It's contents are composted horse manure and worm poop....or so I thought.

Today, I began putting the barrels' contents into my flowerbeds, and, after using about a third of the compost, I started finding red wigglers....mainly around the outer 3 inches of the barrel where the most moisture was. The deeper I've gone, the more worms I've found.

The amazing part is the facts that the moisture content is much less than we all believe is necessary, not much foodstock remained for the worms to subsist on, and, in general, the conditions were way less than ideal (especially water) in which worms are supposed to thrive. The wigglers are smaller than I would think they would be, but healthy and full of spunk. I didn't notice any cocoons at first glance. Amazing.

My question: Do red wigglers, or could they, or cocoons after hatching, adapt to an environment as foreign (water, food, air) to their success as the one I've tried to describe?

This has nothing, I hope, to do with alien, or other-worldly, incidents. Only serious responders need, uh, respond.

Chuckiebtoo

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living