SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junkmanme

Worm Capture Experiment

junkmanme
17 years ago

Howdy Folks!

After reading a great many posts on this form, I decided to try to "capture" some worms from my garden area to use for "starter worms" for a worm bin I plan to build.

It has been said on some postings that worms that are native to your own particular area are much more likely to survive in your garden. The limit of my experience with worms is 1. Putting them on a fishin' hook, and 2. transferring some from the bottom of my compost pile into the vegetable garden area. I'd like a LOT MORE of them in the garden to help break up the clay soil (amended).

So, although I know this is the wrong time of year for this experiment, yesterday I did it anyway. (I didn't have anything else to do except clean house or pay bills---both of those endeavors make me nauseus (sp) naseus (sp) nawseus (sp) [upset my stomach].)

So, I found a 5 gal. bucket with a crack in the bottom and drilled 1/4 inch holes in the bottom.

Then, I located a scrap piece of plastic pipe and drilled some holes in it. (to use it to get air to the bottom of the bucket)

I put it together, and put in schredded newspaper, 1/2 cup corn meal, 2 cups of used coffee grounds, compost dirt, rotten bananas, moldy french bread, more compost, and more schredded newspaper. Then I put it in a hole I dug in the garden (about 9 inches deep) I put the hole in the middle of an area where I've been "stockpiling" grass-clippings for some time.....thinking that might be a likely place for some worms to be hiding out.

Then I covered the top with an old trashcan lid, and a rock to keep the "flying fish" from stealing any worms.

I'm thinking of maybe putting an upside-down 55 gallon barrel over the top, sitting on 4x4 lumber pieces (for air-circulation). Perhaps the barrel would heat up the air inside a bit (since we're heading into Winter).

If this experiment doesn't work because of the cold weather coming....I'll repeat it in the Spring.

If I see any activity in the future, I plan to let folks here know.

Wish me luck,

Bruce (Junkmanme)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012