SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_carissa

Advice for a newbie (pics)

organic_carissa
16 years ago

New Document

This is my first try at seriously growing tomatoes. I have been reading posts on this forum religiously for the past week or so. I've learned much, thank you. Unfortunately, I didn't find this forum until about a week after I planted my maters. I have become quite obsessed with tomato gardening thus far. My favorite time of day is coming home from work to sit and watch them grow ; ). I visit this forum at least twice a day to learnwhat I can and see the pix of what I have to look forward to (hopefully). After much reading, and one other post on pests, I've decided to let 'er rip and ask away. Please have patience... I appreciate any advice that you can provide.

I dove in head first and planted 69 tomatoes. About 47 are planted in the ground, the rest in containers on my deck. They all get between 4-8 hours of sunlight per day. I water the container plants daily. I have a soaker hose set up improperly in the 'garden'. I'm pretty sure the ones in the ground are too close together. I haven't mulched yet. My biggest mistake was not planting them deep enough (only covered the root ball). Since learning of how deep they should be planted, I replanted some. Others that seemed to be struggling-- I mounded dirt around the stem. I've fertilized once with fish emulsion. Here's my 'garden'.

{{gwi:1344587}}

Of the many plants I have, the Golden Jubilee and Pink Brandywine seem to be doing the worse. I read that they're more susceptible to disease-- and I planted them in containers on my deck. Many of the leaves look like this.... Can anyone tell me what this is? Is it disease? Should I be removing the leaves?

{{gwi:1344588}}

{{gwi:1344589}}

Most of the plants seem to be doing fine. They're finally growing and almost all have flowers. Some of the Yellow Pear plants have spotted stems. I think this is from tying the twine too tight to the stake (another mistake). I've since loosened them, and the tops look great (green, flowering, etc). Thoughts....

{{gwi:1344590}}

{{gwi:1344591}}

I have on Super Sweet 100 in a container and it's growing rapidly. It has many blossoms. But some of the leaves don't look so great either.

{{gwi:1344592}}

Some of the plants that were planted too shallow have these root fingers, like on this Yellow Pear, should I let them be? Or cover them with dirt, which would also cover up new growth on a couple of the plants?

{{gwi:1344593}}

Please let me know what you think. Again, I appreciate any advice that you can give. Thanks and Happy Gardening!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting