SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srburk

If you have tomatoes in ground, how are they?

srburk
14 years ago

I have four plants (all the space I had). So far, Husky Red Cherry (which I've grown before) and Park's Whopper are winning. Park's has an odd downward growth habit with lots of suckers that is driving me nuts a little...may have to do some pruning to keep the plant off the ground. I know the cherry will be fine if it escapes disease...the last one was five feet tall and wide before it croaked. I have Goliath...which has green tomato on it, but is slower than the other two...and has some leaf damage I can't place but am hoping is due to the late cold snap...I covered, but there is only so much you can do. The straggler plant is the Bonnie Select hybrid that I took a chance on. It doesn't look bad....but it's sloooooooooow. Again, might be due to that late cold snap, and we will give it a good chance to perk up with warmer weather. All of the plants have had their weekly dose of seaweed.

I replaced the basil in the bed this morning (lost the last ones to a mix of cold and bacterial spot), and the chives are as happy as they can be. The pots have wave petunias blooming their hearts out, two happy red double kalanchoes, a Greek oregano that went great guns as soon as I got it in a pot, and some thyme and chives that didn't die over the winter (some plants...I didn't cover them and it was down under twenty degrees here for an extended amount of time).

So how do your veggies fare?

Comments (29)