SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frogonalog

First Worm Harvest - Very rewarding experience, Thanks everyone!

Frogonalog
18 years ago

Well, I had planned on doing my first harvest for my outdoor 18 gal bin by putting my old bin on top of my new bin with fresh bedding, then gradually remove the vermicompost every day and let the fellas migrate downward toward through the bottom holes and into the new bin. But an armadillo was digging up my lasanga beds looking for grubs and worms and I feared he would have easy acess to the bin contents based on how they were stacked. So Thursday and Friday evening I decided to sift through it by hand. It gave me an excuse not to do the laundry :) I know this sounds like I don't have a life, but I had a BLAST!

I'm happy to say that my fellow worm neighbors have had a few additions to their super extended family. They've almost doubled in population and I found alot of cocoons. So I've split some of the bedding and put it in the old bin and put a 1/4 of the worms in there and 1/3 of the eggs. The BSF larvae count was low, but I had a few.

The vermicompost was not soggy but moist like a cake and earthy. The bottom inch was a little wet almost like potters clay. In the new bin I got some landscape fabric and some cedar chips and made a pillow similar to what was recommended in Kelly's bin plan. I had no styrofoam peanuts, but I had saved the cedar chips when we babysat my father in law's guinea pig this past summer. The new bedding mix consisted of:

1 part American spangum peat moss (very tough and stringy)

2 parts cardboard squares (1 to 2 inch cut)

1 part coir

1/2 part hand shredded and whole used coffee filters

1/2 part mixed brown leaves

unfinished food stock

1 part (3 to 4 inches layer) vermicompost on one side.

An inspection of the bin on Sunday and the tenants appear satisfied with their bedding. I'll check up on them a little more this week. I've already used some of the vermicompost for my tomatoes and two plant cuttings. The rest I have taken out of the 4 gallon bucket and spread on soda/beer flats to dry out a little before I put it back in the bucket and save for later. I'll check in a few weeks for worms that may have hatched from cocoons I missed.

Knowing that winter is coming, I don't know how long it will take before the next harvest. My wife still won't let me bring the worms inside (yet) and we lack a garage, but we have a shed so the worms are going to head south (90 feet) for the winter when it does come. Fortunately, for us we don't get snow and we occasionally dip into the 20's so I'm hopeful the worm neighbors will survive in the shed.

I want to thank everyone here for making my vermicomposting experience a success. Without your informative postings to questions, tips, sucesses, and failures I wouldn't have been as prepared and I may have quit this hobby at the first sign of trouble. I also want to thank my worms. They truly are the hardest workers under the earth.

Charles

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting