SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vjeko_gw

outside vermicomposting - newbie advice needed

vjeko
12 years ago

I feel I haven't done enough homework and preparation before I started vermicomposting, so I have a few questions. But first a description of what I have done:

(a)I bought the worms from a farm here which sells humus (not sure how many worms - 3 small boxes with worms + their normal food). I didn't see too many mature worms when I placed them in the permanent box I made (I presume they are mostly young worms)

(b)I had made a temporary box when I bought them as it was quite hot and I had to settle them in somewhere. The next day I made a permanent box (1.5m*1m*0.3m) using wooden boards on a raised bed in the garden + a finewire mesh cover on top.

(c)When I moved the worms to the permanent box I first added some soil mixed with compost (from composting bin),

wet cardboard and straw/dry grass. Then the worms including some soil (as I moved them with a shovel) and sheep manure, straw, material from kitchen for composting on top.

Questions:

(1)Anyone had experience with small lizards - I haven't put any fine wire mesh underneath the box and am worried about them digging underneath (but haven't seen any signs yet)

(2)How do you check how wet the contents of the box is or remove stuff from the box without hurting the worms ;) - whereever I dig a little with a finger I find a worm (as far as I understand your supposed to take a sample, squeeze it and it's supposed to drip lightly)

(3)I read somewhere too much or too little food which is too wet or too dry can cause problems - any guidelines ?

(4)How do you know when there are too many worms (not optimal) in one box ? (I am planning on making another box)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County