SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eirebyron

Northern VA newbie in need of advice...

eirebyron
13 years ago

Hi all - thanks in advance for helping a newbie. Sorry for the length, but consider this my introduction.

I've got a 500sqft garden with tomatoes (4 varieties), hot peppers, sweet peppers, squash, zuchini and various herbs. I built a drip irrigation system using 1/2 and 1 GPH inline drippers and (in a few places) drip line, connected to daisy-chained rain-barrels. I water whenever we go 3 days without significant rain and/or when the soil to my 2nd knuckle doesn't feel moist. I'm using mulch for groundcover. We live about 10 minutes outside DC in Northern VA (Zone 7).

So, being a newbie, we planted A LOT. We started from seeds during the winter, transplanted in late April (if i remember correctly). Again, being newbies, we transplanted A LOT, i.e. 20-odd tomato plants, 10 ea hot/sweet peppers, 4 ea of patimarron, ball zuc and butterbush squash. We expected some to die. Strangely, they haven't. We've just started seeing fruit forming on the hot pepper plants, have had fruit on the squash/zuc plants for a while, and have flowers on everything else.

In particular, the Black Krim, German Green and Yellow Pear tomato plants are about 4 ft high so far, thick-stemmed and bushy, and growing every day, and covered in flowers. They've had flowers for a week or so, but I haven't seen any fruit form yet. I did a search in the forum to see what blossom-drop looks like, but didn't find anything. To note, I am not seeing any flowers or petals on the mulch, but I'm not sure I'd see them. Can someone tell me how to identify blossom drop, or pass me some pictures? Also, any other general recommendations?

Thanks again, look forward to the advice.

Comments (2)