SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttaz_gw

Overly Ambitious Newbie Needs Advice

ttaz
16 years ago

Ok, let me first state there is usually not such a thing a baby steps when I decide to do something, for better or worse. I'll also clarify this involves general vegetable questions, and pertains to both indoor hydro and outdoor, so I realize I might get more response breaking it up into specific subforums, but I figure I'll lump my whole story in here to start.

I've decided to start growing my own vegetables. I ordered a bunch of seeds online, everything from tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, peppers, lettuces, etc, etc... all the things I like basically. =)

I'm in Phoenix, Arizona and the summers are quite warm, and usually my small flowers/plants get scorched rather easily so figured I'd have my best luck indoors for year round. I am also busy enough that I can easily forget to go outback and water and monitor the plants daily, so hydro would give me more flexibility in that regards.

I have a 5'x4' closet setup with 4', 4 T8 32w per ballast... 1 ballast per shelf, 4 shelves... so basically I've got 512w of fluro light. I'm planning on about 8 plants per shelf, (each shelf is ~ 4ft x 1.5 ftx).

Thinking I wanted to really have a lot of food to share and such, and not wanting to create a huge electric bill and space to do so, I also grabbed a greenhouse, about 6ft wide, 8 ft long and 7ft tall. It is the layered plastic UV draped kind, with metal frame. It was $50 at auction so said what the heck. In there, I also intend to do hydro on one side and soil on the other to experiment on which works best for me.

Indoors I have two systems running, ebb and flow and NFT. Right now I still have seedlings that haven't got their roots out the net pots to start in them yet.

Now, I have no experience with vegetable gardening. I have read the optimum PPM and PHs and have grouped them accordingly (and have the meters to adjust), the right nutes, etc.

My main question is, are vegetables triggered by light cycle, light color, or do they just start blooming/fruiting when they are ready and mature? Meaning, do I need to concern myself with light cycles, or is 18 hours on/6 off fine throughout their life cycle?

I have searched high and low on the net for specific info on each vegetable, and they go in to depth on many of the other aspects, but not lighting, so I don't know if that is a given or not, so I want to be sure.

Secondly, is there any gardeners with a climate similar to Phoenix or in Phoenix that can offer any advice on outdoor gardening, such as what types of vegetables are suitable for this time of year, along with the summer, if any? Like I said, I have a green house, I also have a 12v swamp cooler that can be solar powered with a small panel. It may be able to keep that area 20 degrees cooler than the surrounding air, but that might only mean 90 degrees at best on a 110 - 115 degree day?

Thank you!

Comments (9)