SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leftcoasttransplant_gw

worm bin sos? (and, do i have aliens in my worm bin, or bsf?)

Hi, all.

I started a worm bin last spring, after watching a demo at my local co-op. I have it in a rubbermaid bin, with a bunch of damp newspaper as nesting material for the worms, and bury my coffee grounds and veggie scraps underneath it. My bin was off to a great start, and then I left to spend my summer doing an internship overseas. My worm bin was left for safe keeping with a subletter for 2.5 months. All in all, it's in much better shape than I expected to find it, but I had a few questions. My subletter moved the worm bin from my storage room to outside, where it got pretty hot, and also got rained on quite a bit over the course of the summer.

So - the consistency of the compost my worm bin is like a very thick fudge, with a lot of moisture. Most of the "finished" compost I've seen has a much dryer, grainier consistency. When I stick my fingers in my bin, I really have to work to break up the dirt/sludge, and when I pick it up it's sort of like a VERY wet, very thick cow-pie. Do you have tips for getting the compost back into a dryer consistency? I have added dry newspaper, but so far that hasn't done the trick. I considered putting it outside in the sunshine, or dumping the compost out on a tarp in the sunshine, for a few hours... but I don't want to lose my worms (or fry them!).

My other question is about critters in the compost. I noticed that there is something living in my bin that is not worms. I think it is black soldier fly - I looked at the other threads, and looked for photos of BSF larvae online. I'm almost certain that's what's in my bin. My understanding is that the larvae won't harm my compost... but to be honest, I'd prefer that it wasn't there. Any tips on getting rid of it? Or should I just learn to live with it?

Thanks for the help! I took some photos of my bin and the state of affairs inside it, but can't figure out how to post them here.

I also have to say that it was awesome to see the dramatic change in my bin after being gone for a while - compost happens, and it's wicked cool!

Comment (1)