SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yayagreen2000

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring September

yayagreen2000
18 years ago

Aloha!!!

Did anybody miss me? My husband and I just got back from a 10 day vacation in Hawaii.

Hey Pal....I am SOOOO sorry about the delay, I didn't have access to a computer during my trip, but I arranged for my parents to pick up my packages and told them to keep an eye out for yours, (I was all set to have the mail stopped, but switched when you mentioned sending something perishable to having my neighbor and dad pick up the mail.) so they did and I recieved your epimedium in great condition (my dad potted it for me), they said you had it packed really nicely. I LOVE to get plants from my pal!!! I don't have any epimediums yet for my shade garden, but I think they are just great. I also got some cute mini flower candles from Pier One...I love that store! and some garden coasters and a really neat spiced mug mat that is a coaster filled with spices that when you set your warm coffee mug or cider mug on, the scent is released.

So The vacation was fairly last minute, since we got the good news about my husband, our friend who lives in Oahu invited us out to stay with him. It is nice to have friends in high places, litterally, he lives on the top of a ridge overlooking diamond head, at about 1000 ft. The view was fantastic, we had a whole "guest" floor of this big house to ourselves, and we were only 8 miles from Wakiki Beach.

I loved all the different flowers over there, I hardly recognized anything, but I do know now why you love your plumeria so much Pual!!!! They smell delightful!

OK, so let's get ready for some cooler fall weather, I am glad to be back in my garden, I missed all my "friends"

YaYa

Comments (89)

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, I have a favor to ask....

My Garden Web renewal is up on September 22, but they have changed their policy and do not accept checks any more, only paypal, so is there someone that would spot me the $15 by renewing me with their paypal and I'll send you a check?

YaYa

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

Nah, nah, nah, nah-nah! I got the best package today from my pal! She sent me a PLUMERIA! I'm so excited as I've been wanting one for a long time and now I have to see if I can get it to grow. Cross your fingers for me and wish me luck. ;-) There was also this terrific Stationery Kit so I can make my own. It has blank notes with stickers and attachments and a how-to book. I guess you may be starting a new hobby for me. I love this. Next was a cute little scarecrow sitting on a pumpkin to help me get ready for the little candy goblins who'll be on the prowl before we know it. I love Halloween, seeing all the little critters dressed up and trying to figure out who is who. We are in a rural area and don't have a lot of them at the house but it was really fun when I lived in the city. A Weekend Gardening magazine with step by step plans for lots of different projects filled up the box and made my day! Thank you palsie-walsie for the wonderful box of goodies. You're the bestest!

Shirley, my mom's side of the family both paternal and maternal had longevity. Unfortunately she only lived to be 73.

Alicia, I have a friend who is from Africa and she wanted me to go home with her last summer. I would love to have gone but she got pregnant and decided not to go at that time. I would have stayed with her family so all of the expense would have been the plane fare. I may just take her up on it if the offer is made again. It sounds like you had a fantastic time and got to do quite a lot while there.

April, congratulations on getting your last one to school. Now you can have some NON-Mommy time. Enjoy it while you can. lol

Pooch, if you win the pageant may we say we knew you when? It sounds like it would be fun. You could submit your glamour shot from the trampoline as your photo with your submission. lol

YaYa, I really enjoyed your slide show from Hawaii. Thanks for sharing them with us. I love it when you all go places and take photos for us to enjoy. Hopefully someday we'll get to do that again. I've been many places but only in our own country. They were beautiful too but I'd still love to travel outside.

Luna Moon, your pics are beautiful.

Paul, I'll have to check out the site you gave for the Plumeria now that I have one. YAY!!!

Nite all,

Nancy

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: April - Garden Circle Exchange Ring

Q

Comments (70)
    Gorgeous flowers Sandlapper/Jeanne! I especially like the purple one. I want to say thanks to my pal, Pastvast/Stephanie! I received a package over the weekend with some really cool surprises! First, Trilliums. Love them! I've really been needing to expand my shade garden beyond the basics and these give me a good start. And second, Skittles. Love them also! I've almost eaten all of them already, I just can't keep my hand out of that bag. Perfect timing too, I just ran out of 3 Musketeers minis so now I've got something new to snack on. And last but not least, Stephanie sent one of her wonderful letters. I really enjoy them and the updates on your life. And you have to keep me updated on that bundle of joy you're expecting! I have no kids myself, really don't want any, but I like to hear about and spoil everyone else's! Thanks again, Stephanie. Both Sandlapper/Jeanne and Pastvast/Stephanie, I want to apologize for being such an e-mail flake lately. I've been so swamped with home projects that I'm not getting much else done. And the last 2 weeks have been especially bad with replacing the deck. But the deck is almost finished (Yeah!) so you'll both be hearing from me soon. :-)
    ...See More

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring - May

Q

Comments (19)
    Hi ladies! Yes I have been planting, watering and weeding :) My daughter and I got her teepee put up and sweetpeas & pole beans planted around it. She also planted about 50+ different annual flowers for the 'yard' and put in a pink butterfly bush on the 'deck' with some cute stepping stones. In the back of it she has maxamillian and chocolate sunflowers! Can't wait till they are all in bloom - she did a great job! My iris are just about done blooming but my Peonies are just starting. My callas are just coming up, also my hibiscus (don't know what colors as they were a mixed gift), my dahlia aren't even trying to peek threw though... We have had quite a bit of rain this week and some pretty chilly temps, I hope they are okay. Pastvast - Prague? sounds interesting. Hope you had fun and glad to hear you are home safely. The last day of school here was yesterday, my daughter is going up by Jackson Hole to help some friends on their ranch for a month, then to Denver to help my sister ~ she is having shoulder surgery and isn't allowed to move it for 3 month! I am glad that Meg will be busy this summer but I will miss her and she thinks its a great idea that I make sure her 'garden' is weed free LOL Have a wonderful weekend everyone! Marie
    ...See More

UPDATE: June - Garden Circle Exchange Ring

Q

Comments (68)
    Hello friends, FINALLY home from gallavanting around the country. This last trip was to take our son and his girlfriend back to MN. They had been here visiting for a week. We then stayed an extra 3 days to do some more sightseeing. DS also took along his cat, Precious, so we now have 1 cat and 1 dog. Sniff, sniff. Vee, Happy to hear you liked your gifts. The wolf on the stone came from our visit to Kansas City sometime in the spring. Was hoping you might like it. The alstromeria was looking a little tough, I know, but it came all the way from Texas in the car with us. It came from the Wildseed Farm down there just west of Austin near Fredricksburg. Think it will make it? It looked a LOT better earlier. LOL The "can can" heuchera is from Iowa. Nothing special about it. Stephanie, is the guy in the photo available? Earthly is looking! I have no idea if we got any rain while we have been gone, but last night and today we have been having some nice showers on and off. We have really been needing them! Tomorrow I'm going to go to a friend's house in Gifford--little unincorporated burgh of maybe??? 100 people maybe less--and help her in her flower gardens, etc. Every year this little burgh has a huge 4th of July parade. It's known all over the county. I'm guessing they easily have 75+ entries in the parade yearly. Anyway, she always wants her yard to look spotless. The whole little "town" spiffs up for the event. At least the rain will make pulling any weeds easier. Deb, I am so sorry to hear of your Grandmother's passing. It is so sad to lose a Grandma. Have already said prayers for you. Am enjoying the pictures. I have a number of Asiatic lilies blooming right now along with other perennials. I need to try to post them. Maybe DH can help me figure out how to do it. I still have directions on how to do it. Just can't quite figure it out, though. I'm NOT giving up! Alicia--I was just in Austin about a week-and-a-half ago. WOW, is it hot!!! DH and I were there for a long week-end visiting my sister. Never got below 100! She tells us they/you didn't really have a winter this year either. No freezes? When you move you are in for a CHANGE! Where did you live before TX? What are the trees/bushes that are in bloom right now down there? They are a deep red or pink then the flowers fall off and there are berries. Aaaaaagh....My mind.....They are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!! As you can see, my mind is gone. Later everyone, Mellen
    ...See More

UPDATE: August - Garden Circle Exchange Ring

Q

Comments (74)
    I received my package today from SassyD, and let me just say, OH MY GOODNESS!!! I am overwhelmed by your generosity, Diane. This box weighed 28lbs, people... I wrote down a list so I can remember everything that was in it, so I wouldn't leave any of the great items out when listing them on here. Here are all the wonderful things she sent me!!!!! -2 dove chocolate bars. One I couldn't wait and ate already despite it's meltiness, and it was still just as delicious, (though the family stole it away and took bites off of it first, grrrr, LOL,) and the other one I'm putting in the fridge for later. -The cutest glass bee night light, I just love it. And I do like a little light in my room, so I can see where I'm going when I get up to use the restroom which every stinkin' night, lol. So it will go to good use, I can promise that. It is so cute! -A big butterfly stepping stone, which I really like! I love stepping stones. -The prettiest little shiny blue glass petal plant mister. This is something I did not have that I just love!!! Can't wait to use it. -A package of rawhide twisty treats, which Zeus and Zoe smelled immediately when I opened the box. They were sniffing intently in the box, shoving their noses into it. Couldn't figure out what they were doing that for, until I ran onto these! Zeus and Zoe have both already devoured one. (Wish I had my camera so I could've taken a pic of them enjoying them, but Dad took my camera with him on a trip.) -The most beautiful metal birdfeeder, along with a large bag of wild bird seed to put in it. I have a big love for the birdies, and really enjoy feeding them. This is just so great!!! It is a very nice feeder, just beautiful. -And, though of course I really love every single thing in this package, this might be my favorite. The most awesome hummingbird feeder I have ever seen! It has a metal frame around it with painted flowers, it is gorgeous. I know my description can't do it justice. I love feeding the hummers and eagerly anticipate them returning every year, and this feeder will definately go to great use, can't wait to use it. And she also sent a package of instant hummer nectar to go with it. -And on top of everything else, a bag of food for my guinea pigs. I assume the fact that it is actually hamster/gerbil food was the mistake you were referring to in your e-mail. Sweetie, don't worry a thing about that. It is still greatly appreciated, and just because it isn't officially guinea pig food, doesn't mean I can't ever use it. It says it has vitamin-rich fruits and veggies in it, so I imagine if I mix a little of it now and then with their regular pellets, they will probably see it as a nice little treat. ;) Diane, you are the best pal I could've asked for. I can't believe how generous you were with this package. I don't even know how to thank you enough for everything! But, I still have to say it... THANK YOU!!! ~Summer
    ...See More
  • jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

OOPS! I forgot to mention that once again there was a newsy card and original artwork on my box and some very cute stickers.

YaYa, I will do the paypal for you if there's a place to put that it's for your renewal. I guess I can put it in the (note) box at the bottom. Let me know if you want me to.

Nancy

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nancy,

Thanks for the offer to pay the $15. If you go to the page to renew your membership they have a place to give a gift membership and you can put the ID of the person you want to give it too. I am yayagreen2000

I'll send you a check....thanks sooooo much.

YaYa

PS Oh, I also have a plumeria......but after looking at Pauls direction page, I realized that since the plant is dormant now, with no roots (came in a bag) I don't really know where on its cycle it is. I was thinking I would plant it, allow it to get a little root growth and then see if by November it is ready to go dormant. That is what I am hoping anyway.

• pchanggeo
    18 years ago

Hello, all.
    I can't believe September is half over already. Where does the time go?
    All these plumeria talk... I love it.
    April, it's too late in the season for the plumie to start blooming now. When it begins to wake up in the spring, fertilize it with high middle number (Schult's bloom booster, etc.), I hope she blooms for you.
    Yaya, I would try to root it now, but give it bottom heat. I use a regular heat mat from the drug store (for sore back and stuff). I use a clear plastic tub with only about 2" of soil. Place the stick about 1" into the soil. You'll need to prop it up against something. I occasionally spray the cutting with SuperThrive/water mixture. You can pot up when you see the roots against the side of the cup. I would keep it inside next to a sunny window and see if it'll keep growing throughout winter (not go dormant).

BTW, I have some mixed plumeria seeds to trade if anyone wants to try them.

Speaking of plumerias, I went to the Southern California Plumeria Society plant sale this past weekend. I bought some raffle tickets, and ended up winning one of two grand prizes... yahooooo! Here's a photo of the prize with my 6-year old. He's showing off the flower he picked for his kindergarten teacher :-).

{{gwi:1299894}}

I'm getting some cooler weather here... fall is in the air. I hope everyone is doing well. Happy belated birthday to Beth.

{{gwi:1238356}}

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Wow Paul a grand prize it is!! LOL What a beauty!!
    All this talk about Plumeria I think I might have to get myself one of those!!
    Alicia it is good to know you are back safely and had a good trip. Thanks for sharing it with us. How about pictures??!!
    Thanks Ya Ya for sharing your photos of your special trip!! I am so glad you two were able to take a break and relax and enjoy life!
    Pooch I say go for it!! Our own Ms. Gardenweb in a pageant! Wonderful news!!
    April enjoy the spare moments you have as soon all the kids will be busy with after school stuff!!!
    I would love to hear if anyone has heard from Dusty or Teresa!! I wish them both the best and miss hearing from them.
    I am working on a seed list to share with all of you. If anyone has any extra crocosmia corms (any color) I would be interested in working out a trade!! I have a small amount of just red and a bit of the yell./orange. I just love em!! Just got to get some more!!

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carol and Annie,

I sent out your seeds, well they will go out tomorrow.

To my pal....who sends to me....I am sending you a little surprise to thank you for being my new pal :)

I planted my plumeria, we will see how it goes. Paul, I keep plant lights in my basement all winter, do you think I should keep the plumeria there (really good light, but cooler temps, low 60's in the winter) I could keep it on a heat mat I guess, or should I keep it upstairs in a west or north window, but it would be warmer?

I also planted a red ginger plant that I brought back from Hawaii, anyone know anything about that?

YaYa

• Twinkle
    18 years ago

Hi from the deep south! I got a wonderful fall package today from my secret pal. She always sends a nice newsy card. Also received three candles which smell like Candy Apple, Mulled Cider, and Pumpkin Spice, a huge bag of fall potpourri, and some new fall-themed potholders. (How did you know my current ones are looking ratty?) I'm getting excited now about the change of seasons. Fall is a great time of year here, the weather cools off just enough to make the leaves turn, but still warm enough for outdoor activities.

Thanks pal - you made my day! Happy autumn everybody!

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Oh how I hate to hear these Fall mentions sneaking into our posts! It just got to be Summer didn't it?

Nah Nah, Nah Nah Nah Nancy made me laugh out loud coming from you! Good to hear from you again! My autograph? I'm disqualified from the pageant due to agespots LOL but I will still send my autograph to anyone who wants it and you can say " I knew her when...." It will be worth the crumbling yellowing paper it is scrawled on, some day in the far future.

Paul, King of Plumeria and lucky grandprize winner (!) I was just thinking of emailing dear Dusty and I shall do just that once I get the lawn mowed and evening chores under my belt. I can reserve some crocosmia for you as well, 'Norwich Canary' for sure- a yellow/orange, and possibly Lucifer a bright red, but Ya Ya has dibs and it might have to wait for one more season. Fear not, I have a memory like a sieve and will note it on the plant itself so I don't forget you might want some.

Paul, How old do you think that plumeria Grand Prize is?

I imagine Teresa is busy loving up that little Gabby. Perhaps an email to encourage a photo update would be in order?

Alicia, I agree, photos of your trip would be marvelous. Such a mysterious wondrous land!

Time to mow- I want my Pal to know I haven't forgot her and her September package is underway.

over and out, Pooch

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

wow, i can't believe i can finally get into this thread and actually post. well, i think i can -- froze up the first time i tried. something very strange is happening with my computer.

i did in fact receive my september package from my pal. since i was unable to timely post, i did send an e-mail to yaya asking her to copy and paste my thanks. i don't see it here and even if i did, i would still post. right about now though, i am not in a position to remember each plant, but i'll do my best.

i received an ornamental grass that begins with a d - an unknown salvia (not that i forget, it was labeled that way); an big fat iris rhizome - floretine - which when i read up on it stated it is extremely fragrant, which is a-ok with me! native columbine and one or two other plants whose names escape me right now. please forgive that, it's dark, they are outside, i'm just getting in and having a PB&J for dinner! not the day i wanted to have, but hit shappens sometimes.

i also received a nice mousepad with what looks like a daisy on it this (like you can see it) mouse pad that i am using - it's different than the one i have, which is thck. this is much thinner and it's softer to the touch, allowing a rollerball mouse to glide quite nicely. and i received the neatest tool belt for garden tools, which i am just loving and can't wait to use that. can't tell you the number of times i put the pruners or maybe a small spade (and on occasion the telephone) down and "misplaced" them for a bit. that will now be a thing of the past.

my pal just continues to brighten my months and add such charm, grace and beauty to my garden and enhance my property value each and every month. i've grown things this year i didn't know existed and i am just loving each and every minute of it. thank you again :)

i am sorry for the late posting. yaya, wondering if you had gotten my acknowledgement mail that i sent through GW.

be well all, happy blooms

earthly

• daisy_me
    18 years ago

Thank you Secret Pal! I received a box yesterday full of goodies!!

My pal sent me some real treats this month. I received a jar of Blackberry Jelly (appears homemade) that I can't wait to try! One of these days I'm going to grow berries so I can make my own jelly. I also received a little decorative metal wheelbarrow (fits perfect on my desk and holds my post-its), a welcome sign that I plan to hang on my front door, a small basket that I'm going to hang next to the desk (but I'm not sure what I'm putting in it yet), a movie called Holiday Affair (haven't heard of this one but I plan to watch it this weekend), and a Thomas Kincaide address book (you wouldn't believe how badly I needed a new one!). On top of all this, my pal shared more of their garden with me this month by sending a Daylily called 'Court Magician'. I looked it up on the internet and love, love, love it!

Thanks again! You always brighten my day (even though I don't always get to tell you that right away). I hope you are doing well and life is treating you good. :-)

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Earthly,

Sorry, I only check that email about once a week and I didn't get it until today......

YaYa

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Where is everyone? No posts since wed! So not like this group!!
    Mellen I have had some trouble also...it has been good for a few days however I have to hit the refresher button before the message appears. Strange.. as I can get right to the other posts on the round robin!
    I hope everyone enjoys their weekend!!
    Lots of fall (yes it is coming) chores to do! I love this time of year I just don't like the weather that follows.

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Busy, busy, busy bees are we. I've been working at real work and toying in the garden of course. There are just so many things I should do- my 'stove' would need about 400 burners to accommodate everything put on the back burner.

We have a rainy morning today, so I can dabble at the computer instead of cleaning the bathroom LOL.

Bet those of you with younger children are breathing easier now that school has started. Enjoy!

Here's a couple shots of recent floral gatherings. I hope the pictures and graphics aren't what's causing this forum to open up so slowly, if at all, for those of you having trouble. I hope it fixes itself soon. Has anyone inquired of Admin so they could troubleshoot?

• pchanggeo
    18 years ago

Hello everyone.
    I received a wonderful package from my pal. I got a "Bee Happy" notepad, small wind chime, rubber stamp with a bee on it, and a set of insect foam stickers.... I think these will disappear as soon as my kids get home from school.. LOL. I also received a package of Grape Magic daylily bulbs. I guess my pal saw my post about wanting more blues and purples in the garden... this one is so nice. Thank you.

Pooch, your bouquets are amazing. Wowweeeee.

Yaya, I would say to keep the plumeria where it'll be warmest. Heat is more important than light. Good luck with that.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Paul

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

I've been missing ya'll! Where ya been? It's been too hot here to garden and then it rained (woo=hoo!!!) Rah Rah Rah! Tonight ladies and gent it is soooo cool. It's great! I've got the windows open and the fans on and am just loving it. I'm hoping it will stay this way tomorrow so I can do some much needed weeding.

Poochie, I did dig up some of the dahlias and they were just hollow shells so I guess they rotted when it was so wet in the spring. I'm sorry, I was so happy to have them and have tried really hard to keep them going but alas, they done died! lol I do have a few of the ones you sent me living and a few I bought so all is not lost. We shall have a revival next year and I will be on the pulpit telling them bloom where you are planted!!!! and that's an order. Yours are so pretty they just make me that much more determined.

Only a couple of my cannas have bloomed eiher but I know '06 will be the year!

I have Jackmanii and Ville de Lyon clematis seeds if anyone wants them.

It sounds like everyone is really getting some nice goodies from their pals. This has been the greatest swap. I love the people, everyone is nice and seems to be well suited and interested in one another. It's great! I know I've probably said that before but it seems like we're almost family.

I've had a busy week at work too Pooch. It's been one meeting after another. Yesterday I had to sit in a two hour lecture with about 30 people to learn "how to be a more effective supervisor". I'd much rather be working. 8-)
    Today we had a two hour luncheon for one of our supervisors who is moving up the ladder. That was much more like it and Wednesday we took our Housekeepers out to lunch for an hour and a half. I love getting paid for this kind of stuff but it doesn't happen very often. Since my staff weren't invited to any of it I cooked for them too. I just feel guilty when I get to go and they don't. lol It's been a very nice week overall at work. I love it when I can say that!

Have a fantabulous weekend everyone!

Nancy

• beth_b_kodiak
    18 years ago

Pooch, those boquets are gorgeous!! What is the dahlia that is yellow with pinkish tips on the peatls?? Of course, I like all the purplish ones too.
    I finally have two blooming, both yellows, one pale the other a bit darker. Flowers are smallish but it is so bone dry.. I'l thankful they are blooming at all. The purple dome asters are showing color and I may get to see them before I leave.
    Nancy, A good week at work is always something to celebrate :^) I am anxious to get back to work. I use my time more effectively with the structure. Otherwise I tend to wait and see if tomorrow is better , cooler, dryer, wetter whatever and waste time.
    Have a beautiful weekend everybody.
    Beth

• ronda_m
    18 years ago

Nancy my Dahlias did the same thing..They were shriveled up or empty...I stopped digging hopefully there will be some for next yr..It rained here tonight too..Still waiting on the cool air..I am sooo ready for it..
    Pooch yours are just beautiful...Everyones pictures put mine to shame.. Maybe the rain and cool temps will bring out some blooms...Ya'll have a great weekend..
    Ronda

• Poochella
    18 years ago

You guys are just slaying me! I had the furnace on last night and again today to take the chill off! Was glad to make cookies for the DD away at school so the oven heated up the kitchen a bit LOL! I've been wearing my woolly socks for a couple weeks at least and preparing to do leaf gathering for next year's compost- they are already dropping in droves.

Nancy you sound so considerate of your fellow workers- very good! I swear I have the best job ever along with co- workers, there's no baloney, lots of dedication, humor, acknowledgement of others. Just amazing. They feed us regularly too LOL.
    I'm sorry to hear about the tuber death. Most likely rotted in too much early water. I've done that plenty of times! It takes them a while to establish enough roots to even need water, otherwise they just sit, soak and decay. Here's the chant in such a turn of events: "There's always next year."

Beth is this the one you refer to? It's Chimacum Topaz about 6 inches across and very floriferous. Medium yellow with bronze tips. It was dahlia of the year back in the mid to late 90's I believe.

I do better when working too: you make darn good use of your time and time off (and that means checking Garden web LOL)

• Poochella
    18 years ago

My pal really knows how to treat a gal right! I got not one, but two flavors of these little lifter-uppers! Can you tell I'm excited? LOL I'm using more exclamations than Plantlady Jan!
    Eat your hearts out Garden Circlers!

Not only creamy delicious peanut butter, but chocolate cream YUM! LOL! And they were garnished with about a hundred Hershey mix treats. Poochella will be queen of chocolate for the next month- although, to be honest, the Tasty Cakes aren't even going to last a week! LOL I LOVE EM! I'll have to get back to the trampoline to wear them off!

They were presented in the most wonderful hand-painted serving tray: black wood with all colors of bird houses around the perimeters- so lovely! I immediately began identifying flowers that would match the colors. And a package of the hugest daffodil bulbs- I wrote down the name but forgot. They will go into my 'address/house number post' bed to greet visitors in the Spring.
    Pal, you are the greatest thing since sliced bread or Tasty Cakes, I can't tell which. I always enjoy hearing your goings on in your wonderful notes.

A true gem is among us!

• ilsonshine
    18 years ago

Hello to all my Garden Buddies!!
    I want to say "Thank You!" to my secret pal. I received a little card with a nice note, a cute notepad that reads "Happiness Must Be Grown In One's Own Garden," and Some Bulbs that will poke themselves out in the Spring to brighten my day:
    "Little Beauty" Tulips AND "Elegant Lady" Lily Flowering Tulips
    - - - >

~~~~~~>

• beth_b_kodiak
    18 years ago

mmm, Beautiful tulips Lil. And, Pooch.... I can't believe you posted a photo of Tastycakes! How cruel. How is anyone supposed to resist them when they see that pic?
    Busy busy busy here. A heavy shower the other night has finally permitted the essential moving and transplanting of some plants. I'm stalling to the very last minute on moving my one and only yellow canna. It has just opened and I'm determined to enjoy it as long as possible.
    I'll be leaving the end of this week and while I'm gone, I'll be getting a new and bigger house with a sunroom. Hooray!!! I'll miss all the activity but since they don't expect to be done till Christmas, it will be too chilly for me to be camping out in the yard. LOL
    I'll be traveling for about two weeks and am really looking foreward to all of my stops but especially..... stop number three in IOWA. I finally get to meet Number1Angel who has not disappeared from the face or the earth, just from the internet for a while. Hopefully not much longer as I have missed her and I'm sure many of you have too.
    I'm packing up the house plants, giving many away and just taking the cuttings. Then, hopefully next spring they will make their last cross country trip and finally get settled into their permenant homes in the sun room. Wow, what an oddesy these past years have been. If I were able to write like The Pooch, I'd be writing a book.

• ilsonshine
    18 years ago

Hi, Beth, I thought you just got back... Where are you headed/moving to now? The sunroom sounds grrreatttt

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Gina- lovely bulbs/blooms to be you have there. I should plant more tulips this year. They are so lovely in the Spring.

Beth you are NOT driving all the way back to AK are you? You really do have wanderlust if that is the case!

Ya Ya before I forget one more day: Thank you for the abundance of rudbeckia and zinnia seeds so expertly harvested, photographed and labelled. They arrived last week and I've just forgot to say so, sorry.
    You and Paul will have to be a bit patient for the crocosmia, but they will be forthcoming. PLUS I just got an offer of more 'Lucifer' corms from a gardener at work. Yippee- so there should be plenty to get you started.

Sunny day off- out I go.

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

Hi ya'll! When I got off work today I called my DH and he said there was a surprise waiting for me at home but wouldn't say what. I begged and pleaded but it didn't work so when I got home I looked all over the house and front and back porches but didn't see anything. I called him and he told me to look out back. Way at the back of the yard was this huge pile of compost from the power company and there's another load on the way. It will have to cure but that's ok. Eventually I'll have lots of good stuff to help lighten up my soil. I can wait but I hope it hurries and breaks down. lol

I love the tulips. I can't believe how many types there are now and that they mimic so many other types of flowers. When I first looked at those red ones I thought of anenomes and the ones that look like peonies are awesome.

We're still having 100 degree temps here and I'm housebound. Even though I need to melt some, I don't want to do it that way. ;-)

I have some Nora Barlow Columbine seeds, enough for a few packages in burgundy and probably a couple in light pink. I can't be sure they each won't have a few seeds of the other color in the packs though. They're fresh this summer. If you want some send me your addy and I'll put them in the mail for you.

Beth, maybe when you come back next year I can share some cannas with you. I know I have several that have multiplied enough to divide but I'd hate to do it while it's so hot.
    Ooh, a sunroom! You lucky lady! I'd love to have one and you're lucky to be gone while the work is in progress too. Enjoy your trip but don't forget about us.

Nancy

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

Hi Everybody,

Can you believe we are pushing the sailing envelope with just one more cruise before the boat is taken out of the water. This is day 11. So far we have done way more motoring than sailing. The motoring has been particularly grueling because of big rolling waves.....blecccchhhh!!!!However, it has been warm and we were able to touch base with friends waaaayyy up on the St. Lawrence River in
    Canada. We are headed back now. Hopefully it won't frost before I get back to put in the Iris I ordered before I left.
    Fair Winds Pals
    Lil

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

Hi ya'll! When I got off work today I called my DH and he said there was a surprise waiting for me at home but wouldn't say what. I begged and pleaded but it didn't work so when I got home I looked all over the house and front and back porches but didn't see anything. I called him and he told me to look out back. Way at the back of the yard was this huge pile of compost from the power company and there's another load on the way. It will have to cure but that's ok. Eventually I'll have lots of good stuff to help lighten up my soil. I can wait but I hope it hurries and breaks down. lol

I love the tulips. I can't believe how many types there are now and that they mimic so many other types of flowers. When I first looked at those red ones I thought of anenomes and the ones that look like peonies are awesome.

We're still having 100 degree temps here and I'm housebound. Even though I need to melt some, I don't want to do it that way. ;-)

I have some Nora Barlow Columbine seeds, enough for a few packages in burgundy and probably a couple in light pink. I can't be sure they each won't have a few seeds of the other color in the packs though. They're fresh this summer. If you want some send me your addy and I'll put them in the mail for you.

Beth, maybe when you come back next year I can share some cannas with you. I know I have several that have multiplied enough to divide but I'd hate to do it while it's so hot.
    Ooh, a sunroom! You lucky lady! I'd love to have one and you're lucky to be gone while the work is in progress too. Enjoy your trip but don't forget about us.

Nancy

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Beth-Good for you. Travel all you can I say. I just got back from an eight day vacation and loved it. Went up into the New England States. They were the only ones I had not visited before. Saw the White House, Marthas Vineyard, Cape Cod, Foxwood Casino (Didn't gamble though). Went on a tour bus with lots of family and friends. Kinda nice not having to drive.

Nancy-So funny about compost. My husband tells everyone I am so easy to please. Anniversaries, Mothers Day just give her compost or dirt. That's usually what I ask for. Would love some of the columbine seeds. Will send you my address.

Lil-Sounds like you are having a blast also.

Shirley

• veeja11
    18 years ago

I received a wonderfull pkg from my pal nice smelling candles and popourri note pad note cards, I love it all and boy does my house need good smelling things. Ya Ya I got the seeds what do I owe you?Thankyou for the zinnias. and pal thankyou for the wonderfull pkg.

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

Good morning! I received a really nice package from my pal. I don't know how she (he?) thinks of so many great things month after month! There were two jars of homemade jams (yum!), a book - Roses Love Garlic - which I am anxious to read, treats for the dog (a toy, a huge dog biscuit and dental chews) - the dog is really starting to like it when I get a package, molasses horse treats (made by my pal's local pony club, I beieve), and a nice card with news from my pal.
    No rain here, pal. We need it so badly. I don't think we've had a drop of rain in all of September and probably even a bit longer than that. At least we had a good amount of rain in the summer, but the plants are suffering now.
    As for gardening magazines, the only one I subscribe to is Backyard Living and I just started to receive that. I always enjoy looking at any plant magazines.
    Well, have a good weekend and for those in the storm's path - stay safe as well. I can hardly believe we seeing another storm of this magnitude. I feel so bad for those doing yet anohter evacuation.

Sandlapper Rose

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Here is a picture of my first lillies from seed, took two years to bloom, but worth the wait. don't remember what variety the seeds were{{gwi:1299899}}

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

Ooh, Veeja that is a gorgeous bouquet! I didn't know you could get lilies to bloom from seed in two years. I may have to try to find some. It takes that long to get the bulblets to bloom. Lilies are my favorites at this time. lol

I've never eaten or even seen a tasty cake but they sure look good.

I hope we don't have anyone who was in danger of the weather on the coast or have any loved ones who were. It's been cloudy here all day but so far no rain. We're supposed to get some and I sure hope so. It would be nice if it all moved to the parts of the country that are dry and give the others a break.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend and it's cool enough or warm enough, whichever the case may be, to go out and enjoy the garden and get what you need to done. I did some weeding yesterday after work that have been needing done and I have another bed that is getting overgrown with bermuda grass that I've got to get a hold on! I hate bermuda. I don't think you can be a gardener and like it.

Nancy

• ilsonshine
    18 years ago

Nancy, I agree about the bermuda/zoysia grass,ugh! My brother said that it has been known to grow underneath roads and come out on the other side!

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Veeja- that is a gorgeous bouquet!~ I can almost smell the lilies from here. I'm the one with bright orange pollen on their nose because I stop to smell the roses or anything else that looks tantalizing! Amazing that you grew such beauty from a mere seed in two years.

Poochella is freezing folks. We have fired up the woodstove for the first time since last early April and boy does it smell good and add ambience to the nippy Fall night. It won't be long before frost: been hitting mid thirties at night here in the hills.

It seems I just posted, am still enjoying those tasty kakes and YES NANCY, they are good! But my pal is so efficient that I have to acknowledge yet another wonderful box which arrived yesterday.

First, all the cats were circling and circling, so I thought catnip must be inside. But no, when I opened the box, the room filled with the aroma of rosemary and a most wonderful prostrate rosemary plant was present. I saved it from the cats, though they were highly intrigued. It is already in the ground and very welcome as my own standard rosemary is looking a bit pekid or peekid, (punkish, not healthy.) The most wonderful and fun things: many more mixed daffodils and tulips shared with my pal so we will have dueling bulb gardens! Will be interesting to see whose bloom when. I love the spring flowers and now my wish for more of them is fulfilled.

For my Fall decorating a variety of the prettiest Autumn stickers. I will say that I'm pretty sure Fall is my favorite time of year and it is upon us. Was just lamenting on the drive home that our color change in trees is just ho hum: they go from green to brown; very few bland yellow or orange save for a few vine maples, so the stickers remind me of more colorful autumns : )

I was startled when I unwrapped another suprise and out flew a tiny little bright green rubber frog~ LOL! It's sitting atop my microwave to startle me yet again. Inside the wrapping an adorable froggie plant decoration who will grace my front porch planters this year and next.

Something very, very heavy remained: Bulbs? No. Sword? no.
    Rocks? No, but close! It is something I've always been intrigued by and now will have for my very own: the tree decorations with eyes and mustachioed mouth to adorn a tree trunk! I am going out soon to begin gathering leaves and will confirm which tree trunk will get its very own face but I suspect it will be one above a bench near the lower gardens as you curve up the driveway. It will be a fun greeting.

As always, I thank my Pal for spoiling me and adorning the house and garden with so many items so aptly chosen. Again I enjoyed the beautiful card of pristine lake reflecting clear skies above- just gorgeous. Thanks to my faithful Pal- you are tops. You are the icing on the Tasty Kake!

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

The other day my DH asked to use my digital cam. so he could try to take a pic of the hummingbirds. I told him "good luck" since all of mine have been blurred. A few days later I decided to upload my pics and was scrolling thru them, there was an adorable hummer, yellow and grey feathered which I've never seen around here. I bragged on what a great shot he got. Last night I was showing it off to my DIL and showing her one on a hummingbird calendar she'd bought me that looks just like it. She looked at both of them and said, "Nancy, they're the same picture!" He had taken a picture of the picture and like a dummy, I bought it all!

We got 3" of rain yesterday and last night. Our power went out for about 7 hours and it got a little warm so we let the breeze blow through. I guess a tornado touched down or there was a very strong wind a couple of miles from us and only one house was damaged and some trees are down. There were other damages in the central area where we live. Today some of my cannas are on the ground and my butterfly bush is blown way down but we were lucky.

Shirley, your seeds will be in the mail tomorrow. Enjoy!

Nite Pooch, nite Shirl, nite Ya, nite Gina, nite Veeja,nite Sand, nite Paul Boy and all the rest of the family! You are each as important as the other in my gardening family.

Nancy

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Nancy
    Thanks for the good laugh!! I like your hubbys sense of humor!! Glad to hear your ok after the storm!!
    Pooch oohhh how fun the first fire of the season!! I just love having a fireplace!! I really enjoy the fall time.I love that fact that I have more free time so I can really take my time and get the gardens ready for winter.
    Veeja11 Wow what a beautiful bouquet!! Thanks for sharing the picture with us!! How are the puppies doing? I have been thinking a lot about getting a puppy as mine is almost 14 years old. I just can't bare to think of my life without him.
    Greeting to Lil our world traveler! I too hope you make it back before frost!!
    We had rain all day yesterday and silly me I was out in it getting some trees planted!! I am making a living fence! My neighbors are building a new house on their property and it is getting a little to close for me!! I bought my 10 acres for a reason!! LOL Not trying to be rude however I don't want to look at their junk including the old schoolbus that has sat there for years!
    The sun is coming out so I am off to get some more planting done. Today I will work on orn. grasses!! The tall ones!!
    Enjoy your day!

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Don't give poochey any sympathy, I live near her and am still using air conditioner at night.The dahlias in my boquet are mostly from poochy, sure is nice to have late summer bloom, lillies are blooming but is probably because it is their first year. 3 pups have homes only 3 to go

• ilsonshine
    18 years ago

Veeja, You have some really pretty flowers there, quite a bouquet!!

Some flowers blooming here:
    Achimenes

2 Sedum - Matrona (L) & Vera Jameson (R)

Can ya help me ID?
    ?Sedum w/ Mantis

... Can't Remember -->

• ilsonshine
    18 years ago

Ooooppss, I was previewing and accidentally hit 'Submit' Before I was finished...

I can't remember what this herb is either...

I think it is pretty common (at least it had been until now when I can't recall the name Grrrrr)
    Thanks for your help! Gina

• abcgirltx
    18 years ago

Veeja, beautiful flowers! I love those lilies. And Nancy, your hubby played a good one, I would have bought it too!

Got a great box from my pal this weekend, was waiting to post hoping that I'd be finished going through my 956 pictures from Africa to post a site for you, but not quite done yet. Will put up a link soon, promise!

Back to my package - bulbs for oriental lily (silk road or tahitian sunset white) and crocosmia orange, yellow and red. Have to find a good spot for those, hopefully the bulbs will be okay for about 2 weeks before I have a chance to plant them. Also included was a cute angel figurine with flowers and birds, scented bath cubes and a fall themed kitchen towel. And the buzzing bee has returned - this time on an organizer set with an address book, calendar and note pad. Thanks Pal, you're the best!

My package to my pal went out late - so sorry, it took me longer to get over the jet lag than I expected. But it is in the mail and you should get it very soon!

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

I have received a delightful letter from my pal. Included in the package were some bulbs which I can use!! They are different than any I have. Pal I know I need to answer questions which I will do soon!! Please forgive me! I have been planting ! Lots of planting! Thanks as always for adding sunshine to my day!! You are giving me puppy fever!!

• pastvast
    18 years ago

ilsonshine: my guess on the sedum is Autumn Joy after it just starts to bloom. My guess on the white flower is some sort of allium (possibly garlic chives?).

-Stephanie

• ilsonshine
    18 years ago

Thank you, Stephanie. I was thinking that the Sedum looked sort of like pictures I've seen of Autumn Joy, but I wasn't really sure. Thank you also for the tip on the white flower... I googled for garlic chives and that looks, smells, tastes like it is correct. THANKS! It was neat seeing it, because I don't believe I planted it. Perhaps a few seeds were in with a plant near it and decided to come out of hiding and grace my garden with some more pretty flowers and flowers and leaves that can be eaten : ).

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Hi
    I just wanted to express my thanks for YaYa and my pal for checking in on me. I truly appreciate it more than words can say.
    My pal has asked me to guess who she is....I emailed the person whom I thought it could be....I am not sure I am right as my pal doesn't talk about children in her letters but does in the posts. Hummmm Well soon I will know!
    I emailed her as I didn't want to post here as I don't want to be the cause of someone finding out who their pal is if they don't want to know!!

My pal included scilla "White City" is my package this month!! Can't wait to see them bloom!! I don't have anything like them. Plus the fact that they are white makes me happy to add them to my angel garden in memory of my special nephew.
    Thanks my special pal for being so kind to me and taking the time not to only send a surprise package my way but always finding the time to write.
    My pal trains puppies to become therapy dogs which I think is so wonderful!! What a special person. I thank you for doing that as there is such a need for that. I admire that you are able to let the pup go after being trained. Bless your heart as I know that can't be easy! Hugs!
    Take care and enjoy your weekend!!
    Looks like some more warm weather! Yippie I may just get caught up on my planting yet!!

• pchanggeo
    18 years ago

Hello, everyone.
    Love all the photos. Great stuff.
    We had a thunderstorm roll by last week, and now it's hot and windy.... my plants are so confused.. LOL.

I just collected some Royal Poinciana (Delonix regia) seeds this weekend. Anyone want some? I also have plumeria and adenium seeds if interested.

Hope everyone is well. Anyone hear from Dusty?
    Thanks,
    Paul

• ronda_m
    18 years ago

Hope all is well with my Pal I haven't heard from her this month...
    Rita came through and blew a lot of the trees down..Power went out Friday night and we finally got it back Wend. evening..Never do I want to see the wind blow like that again..I figured I lived to far inland for that...No damage to my home(just shingles)my plants are wind blown but I didn't loose anything..Thanks goodness it has finally cooled off here and the rain has given everything new life...Wow October is already here...
    Take care Ronda

• Aprils_Garden
    18 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I am just back from the post office to pick up a great package from my pal. My pal was not late, don't even get me started on the p.o.

Inside was a nice note, a pretty picture frame that says bless my garden on it with garden theme pictures on it, a lovely pressed and dried flower wall hanging and another really special plant...an orchid called Big Red! It survived the trip just fine and I can't wait to pot it up.

I am off to my DD's marching band competition, but I wanted to pop in quickly and let my pal know it all arrived safe and sound.

Thanks so much for the great package and for being such a wonderful pal!

April

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Hi All, Paul I want some of those seeds, what do I have that you might want? one pup left. don't want her in the pen alone crying so she has the run of the house, with my puppy, two puppies is too many

• becksterca
    18 years ago

Hi -
    I received a great big box from my pal! Thank you so much!
    It was just like Christmas. A few of the things my pal sent: A really neat jacket that fits in a pouch...I put it right in my backpack so it's there when I need it. Some yummy lemonade mix and Honey Peach Jam. A garden sign and a garden rock and some other neat things that made me feel special. Thanks again pal!

Becky

• pastvast
    18 years ago

I received a nice note from my SecretPal yesterday. She's still being very cryptic about who she might be!! I'll have to ask YaYa if my hunch is right or not.

And yes, I'm loving the switch to autumn. The leaves are starting to turn on the maples on my street. I've already bought a container of apple cider. And best of all... we can have a fire in the fireplace again!! It's such a shame winter isn't far off :-(

-Stephanie