SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tooges

Another Wooden Worm Box Question

Tooges
18 years ago

I'm another vermiculture newb. I built a 2'x2'x3' wooden box according to plans posted on a Spokane recycling site. I placed it in the shade, and filled it about a foot deep with moistened newspaper, using the damp sponge analogy.

I bought an alleged pound of worms through the mail back in June, and placed the entire contents of the container they arrived in, a plastic container similar to a large yogurt tub, in the box. A few days before they arrived, I placed a couple of cups of kitchen scraps (egg shells, coffee grounds, vegetables) in the box. The directions that came with the worms said to leave the entire contents of the tub undisturbed for a couple of days to allow the worms to move out of it in their own time, so that's what I did.

Now, I didn't weigh the package when it arrived, and I didn't inspect the contents to see how many worms were in it. But several times in the last few months I have "fluffed" the contents of the bin to keep it aerated, and I have never seen more than 20 worms. I've kept the moisture somewhat constant, even adding dry leaves and newspaper to absorb moisture when the Soldier flies were at their most active.

Kelly, to whom I am already indebted for all her good advice, says that there should have been upwards of a thousand worms in that pound I bought. I suspect that if it really was a pound of worms, each worm weighed several ounces! If it wasn't for a large infestation of soldier fly larvae, the small group of worms would never have kept up with my kitchen scraps.

I've only seen one egg case in three months. Did I buy too few worms for the size of my box? Can't they find each other in there? Can anyone think of any other reasons why my worms haven't multiplied in the last three months? Multiply!?! It doesn't even look like they can add...

Thanks for any advice, explanations, or anecdotes anyone can give.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor