SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mitanoff_gw

One tomato good, One tomato bad.

mitanoff
15 years ago

a Sungold (good) and an Oxheart (not so good) in the same container. Both trench planted at the same time.

I just don't know why the Oxheart is drooping and the sungold seems fine. It did this once before and it was just lack of water. The container has been watered, the soil at the top of the container is not overly moist. I don't have a fertilizer strip, just Mel's mix. I didn't think it would need fertilizer this early in the game. I can always add something to either the soil or the water. Any ideas? I am concerned that maybe my drain hole is blocked .. too much water? Maybe I should dig my hand deeper in the soil to check moisture levels?

Is sungold just a naturally more robust variety than oxheart?

On a completely different note. I had posted earlier that I lost the top half of a tomato plant (it snapped off in the wind). Well, based on my browsings through this forum I tried "re-attaching" it to the plant. Didn't work. It just wilted. So I'm looking at this limp, wilted thing and decided to trench plant it (again, based on reading through this forum). My 2yr old daughter yanked it out of the ground (I shouldn't have reprimanded her. . .I mean, it looked dead)and it had 4 short white roots on it. So I thought, 'what the heck' and replanted it. A week later and I'm still in shock. ITS GROWING! I've really learned a lot here and I'm sending out a general THANK YOU out to the tomato forum, for my tomato education.

Comments (8)