SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobby_c

Holy Smokes - Tomatoes Gone Wild!

bobby_c
15 years ago

I've been growing tomatoes for 30+ years and haven't had this issue. I've planted several plants in a spot that I've never tried before - back of the house that probably gets 4-6 hours of sun in the afternoon evening. What makes this spot different is that it is alongside of a retaining wall. When I dug it up it was full of gravel so I dug maybe 6 inches or so of the gravel out and replaced it with mulch & soil. You can tell it is still gravely - it doesn't hold water - just soaks it up.

Anyhow, my problem (I think) is that these plants are growning like crazy. I'm getting blossoms but at this rate the plants are going to be way to huge to manage in no time. Already (after 3 weeks) they are approaching 4' tall and the branches are getting long & large. The amount of staking to support these will be huge.

So my worry is that the energy is being transfered to too much growth of the plant and not to the production of fruit. I've never dealt with this issue - should I be trimming or pruning these things? If so where? Or should I let these guys go - too late to do anything?

Thanks!

Bob

Comments (10)