SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arum_gw

What Is Your Most Wanted Vine??????

ARUM
18 years ago

OK, what is it? I don't have any, other than more gorgeous MG's. What are you just die'n to get your grubby little hands on, for growing in 2006? :) Arum

Comments (43)

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

I'm staying with moonvine. However....... MG's probably share the top seat. I'll probably try some different MG's next year.

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

a passionflower that will bloom profusely in my zone, will not die back to the ground in winter, and is not invasive. i don't think it exists :(

i would love wisteria, except it would overwhelm and underwhelming "ranch" home and small yard :(

more hummer vines, pleaaaaase! :)

• Related Discussions

list your ten most wanted

Q

Comments (150)
    got your email nogmo, thank you, these lists make me want to look up more and see what is out there.I think my mom will kill me if i put more flowers in her garden. :') Maybe i can get some she will like then i won't get into to much trouble, LOL I really do like those one's with more different colors in them though. The lady slipper balsams have finally ripened up. Out goes alot of bubblers tomarow. I will keep checking to see what is new, I also have some white, pink cypress vine seeds. *tabor*
    ...See More

WANTED: Your Most Wanted

Q

Comments (9)
    when and where will the next swap be? I am lusting for a LC Bonanza Tradewinds orchid, even though I probably will never be able to get one again. Many years ago a lady from South Florida gave me a cutting, and it did well for the longest time, until something happend and I lost this plant, seemed like over night. :-/ Evelyn
    ...See More

The most important feature you wanted in your new home?

Q

Comments (41)
    I just sold my 1930s Dutch Colonial in suburban Philadelphia. Some of the feedback I received from buyers was that the lack of a garage was a non-starter. However, my neighborhood was a popular one, and most houses in it lack a garage. (And my house sold in less than a week). The house I moved to has an enclosed carport. Sort of weird. Prior owners enclosed it to use for storage purposes. Down the road, I'm going to explore the possibility of adding a garage door. I've never had a garage - first lived in the city and had on-street parking, then moved to the suburbs and was excited to have my own driveway. I guess it's all in what you've had in the past and what you become used to having. Good luck!
    ...See More

What was your hardest time after your most important person died?

Q

Comments (35)
    Our son was killed by a falling tree when we were camping in Northern California. It waswas the same day Elvis Presley died. Every single year I am reminded II hear people say it was the worst day of their life. I get thrown back to the morning we went to make the funeral arrangements seeing the headlines. Scott died 2 weeks before his 8th birthday and three days before our daughter turned eleven. Our family missed him every single day. Fortunately the horrible memories of his death have been replaced by all the good times we had. He was a funny kid and made us laugh. He called cottage cheese college cheese. May the acute stages of grief fade for everyone. As several people have mentioned there are times when you are blindsided with a memory and tears flow.
    ...See More
  • Willie
    18 years ago

Hope to add several new MG types next year. Also have Bower Vine seed planted and should have a stand of it next year.

• huachuma
    18 years ago

There's always a "new" Morning Glory lurking out there, somewhere... I personally like to collect the species over the hybrids; there's supposed to be at least one thousand species in the Family, let's see...that leaves 975 to go...;)

Mike

• ARUM
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bonbon, my moonvines are just blooming out, and each year I can't believe the size of that bloom! And sweeeeeeeet smelling! Who can resist?

Willie, I've had to tear out some of my MG's to let the more special ones grow, and thanks to Emma and Cat I have some real eye catchers. I really can't believe the variety! Bower Vine is not something I grow, does it do anything in the North? Some of the more special vines, I just have'ft to let pass by, beings I don't have a greenhouse.

Huachuma, I think I must have at least a good hand full of those one thousand. :) The cross's are excellent!

FTM, I also have a small yard,(garden), cos there's not much grass. It would be dangerous to grow Passion Vine, but I still would like to have another one. The seeds just won't germinate for me. Now Wisteria is OUT of the picture, but have you seen those that have been shaped into trees? Their to die for!!!!

Yes, who can resist a beautiful vine,growing up just about anything, especially a MG offering a new treasure every morning? Collecting the seeds is fun, giving them all their own special labels, and waiting for spring to see what you have new to add to the list.

One of the ones that bloomed recently is purple, with huge lines of white coming from the middle and a pink halo in the center. I think the sight of one of these would stop a Mack truck doing eighty. It have been dubbed"Wild Thing"Yet the most beautiful one I have ever seen is almost undescribable, but here goes. It is large, a pale blue, with dark blue stripes and faint purple and light pinkish stripes coming from the middle of a pink purple "halo", ( circle in the middle of the bloom). My goodness, it could eaisly win a prize. I would be embarresed at my excitement,if you all weren't such vine nuts. You know how "those" people are that aren't. :) Hee Hee Heee. These are EmmaGrac'e cross's, the MG QUEEN!Anyway, there's also one that I just call "Smokey" and it is a purpleish gray, with a white edge all around. So awfully awsome! Ain't I silly? :) Arum

• Willie
    18 years ago

Arum, you do a great job describing all of the rare and exotic blooms growing in your garden. However, the old saying, "A picture's worth a thousand words" would enhance your description. Course I figure you're afraid to show a picture of those beauties for fear of the sound of so many common morning glories screamimng as people violently pulled them up by their roots to make room for more fancier ones!

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

Does this look like your Smokey, Arum? I call it Chocolate.

• ARUM
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Willie, you're a hoot!!! :) Maybe later I'll be able to post Pics., but for right now, my discriptions wih have'ft to do.

Bonbon, no it dosn't, but that is goregous! My smokey has more purple, and I have a rose silk that looks a little like that, but the flower is huge, and kind of ruffeled. I do grow Chocolate. :) Arum

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

i do prefer that lobed foliage to the usual mg foliage (think, grandpa ott's of proliferism)
    uh! everywhere i go there is a mention of chocolate- i am having fits :)

arum, absolutely! i have seen the tree forms. i would love to have one in the center of a large circular garden with a winding path to it...bench for two next to it. heaven! i also understand that if you don't keep them pruned they will revert to the vine growth habit.

• texaspuddyprint
    18 years ago

Hmmmm....I'd really like to get a Mexican Flame Vine to grow. I've got one measley seedling - but it's in a small pot and growth is slow. I really should put it in the ground...but the south Texas sun would bake it before the end of the day. Need to give it more time to grow first. Got the seeds from a local birding and butterfly park - lots of hummies were on that vine...it is definatelyl a MUST HAVE!!!

Other than that...got too many morning glory seeds that I haven't planted yet. My yellow morning glory vines have taken over the southeast corner of my yard and claimed ownership to a trellis that is four feet away. The vines also crawled under my side gate and sneaked along the ground against the side of my house to lay claim to another trellis that is at least ten feet away!!!

All I have to say is with all that foliage I better darn well get a gazillion blooms this fall!!!

~ Cat

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Tropical blood-red trumpet vine, Distictis buccinatoria! I got a plant from a friend for my April birthday and I suspect it got too cold in the mail, because it died the slow death of black stem disease, or fungus. If anyone has a rooted plant, I would love to trade for one. Thanks!

• rudybacon
    18 years ago

Morning glories and Moonvines are what I lust after. I want all of them.

Kathy

• JustAVoice
    18 years ago

A Blue Wistera (wisteria sinensis). I really need one! :) Can anyone tell me where to get one?
    Tami

• chills71
    18 years ago

Magnolia vine. Schisandra chinensis.

But, I'm an edibles gardener.

Of course, if my passionflower incarnata doesn't come back next spring it will once again be back at the top of my list.

I did just get the Clematis I've been wanting for two years: Triternata 'Rubromarginata'. It took breaking the law to get one. At least I've got another gardening story.

~Chills

• Molineux
    18 years ago

LONGWOOD PURPLE American wisteria. It isn't as invasive as the Asian wisterias so you don't have to worry about it cracking the foundation of your house or ripping down the structure it is growing on. Also doesn't send shoots all over the yard. The color is a deeper lavender that the more hyped AMETHYST FALLS. Best of all it is supposed to repeat bloom. Only other wisteria known to repeat is Chinese wisteria, and it isn't nearly as as reliable.

The only faults are the short flower clusters (they don't drape like Chinese/Japanese wisteria but instead look more like lilac blossoms) and slight fragrance.

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

chills, maybe we can work something out one day :)
    i am afraid that right now i am disappointed with my schiz. perhaps more blooms next year. i didn't even see them! i knew when they were forming and then missed it (and my shed trellis is right across from the kitchen window tht i always stare out of). i will have to look hard for berries if they are there. perhaps it needs more sun.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I bought a new one this year that I am anxious to see next year. It's jasminum x stephenense. Fragrant, trumpet shaped clusters of pink blooms. It's supposed to attract hummingbirds and butterflies.

Susan

• ARUM
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sounds like a great one to grow! :) Arum

• bogturtle
    18 years ago

I cannot settle on one. I am looking for an offering again of the double blue clitoria. It really was true dark blue.
    I will order the white-flowered 'Cathedral Bells', (the correct names sometimes escape me),which is easy to find, but without a greenhouse,I seldom get flowers before the frost kills the plants.
    And I am looking for a morning glory that was offered years ago as 'Gentian Blue'. Almost that color, but more violet.
    Have not seen it offered for 25 years.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Bogturtle, I can't tell you how many times I have tried to grow Cathedral Bells, and it never gets big enough or mature enough to flower before frost. I think I would need to start it indoors at Thanksgiving in order for it to flower in August. I finally gave up on it.

BTW - I posted in this forum a lot last year, but I have been caught up in aroids and butterfly gardening this year, hence the jasmine vine.

Susan

• cincinnata
    18 years ago

Passiflora Parritae - I lust after it! Passies are my real favourites but vines in general are my drug - my kids reckon my garden is a jungle. As my choice seems impossible here in Europe I would love a Lapageria but again my climate says no. Better content my soul with what I've got.

• surfpnsbch
    18 years ago

Chonamorpha Fragrans or frangipani vine. The only ones I've found are expensive and haven't found anyone who has one to get cuttings. It's supposed to be really fragrant.

Next choice is rangoon creeper and of course passionvines.

Sara

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I would absolutely love to grow wisteria. My neighbor friend, Ralph, has one, but it gets SO OUT OF CONTROL for him, and he can no longer prune it himself; has to hire it done. That would be my story. No way could I keep one under control. So, unless I get a tree form, or standard, I won't, unfortunately, be growing it. I don't recall which one is more controllable, the Japanese or Chinese. Does anyone know?

Chills - your P. incarnata should come back in zone 6b, but if you're worried, you can always mulch it heavily. Mine are hardy in 7a, but I think they're supposed to be hardy to 6. The only problem is that mine doesn't break dormancy until late July-August. But once they do, they grow very quickly. They are also the host plant for the great spangled fritillary butterfly, which is my main reason for growing it. Also have P. lutea.

Susan

• Garden_Momma
    18 years ago

The one on Baci's 'MG ID help needed'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baci 'MG ID help needed'...

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Winter-sow your cathederal bells aka Cobaea scandens if you want it to bloom sooner. You just chuck the seeds in the pot where it is to grow, place it outdoors in a sheltered place, keep it damp, and it will emerge sometime in April.

If you are not familiar with winter-sowing, there is such a forum here on GW, with very nice folks ready to help you.

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

susanlynne48, did you know there is a native "wisteria"? more controllable than the others, but the blooms are not as showy..that is what i understand anyway. i also undferstand it doesn't have the fragrance of the chinese.

oh, found a link!

Here is a link that might be useful: american wisteria

• donnafaga
    18 years ago

i would love to have and grow jade vines even if i have to in the house. most beautiful vine ive ever seen! its teal green and blue any suggestions as to where i can get some?

• jamesco
    18 years ago

Pas. 'Clear Sky' ("Oh, good glory! Breathe deep!")
    Bignonia capreaolata 'Tangerine Beauty'
    Clematis cirrhosa 'Freckles' or 'Landsdowne Gem'
    C. armandii
    I am going to be very poor next year.

'Surfpnsbch,' good luck on that Chonamorpha fragrans. It think it's a 'Bite the expensive bullet' plant. What is the appeal to you? Because apparently a white Mandevilla doesn't do the trick, eh?

• trini1trini
    18 years ago

I want thunbergia mysorensis. I got cuttings but could not get them to root:(

• djm906
    18 years ago

What I would dearly love to have and gloat over would be a morning glory, Andersonii. I almost had one, started from commercial seed pack (the other 6 died), but it never did get any blooms, and now its winter and I brought it inside, but it is not happy, so I suppose I am going to lose it.

• ARUM
    Original Author
    18 years ago

djm, I did a search on that MG, and couldn't find a thing. Are you sure you're spelling it correctly? :) arum

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Dena, check out the link below - I want a PLANT of this too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea 'andersonii'

• ARUM
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kay, thanks so much! Yes, it IS very pretty! :)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Wow - that is a stunning plant! I'd love to grow one, too. They must be awfully finicky. Kind of like Mikey, my cat. Won't eat anything but wet food, unless he KNOWS there's chicken in the fridge - then he won't eat his wet food, either. Rotten cat.

Add to my want list:

corkscrew vine - has anyone grown this from seed?
    MG 'Good Morning Violet'
    Rubber vine (cryptostezia madascariensis)
    Chilean glory flower
    Purple coral pea

I was perusing Patricks Studio and noticed they had several MG's I've not heard of, but maybe you have and can tell me if you grow them, are they easy, etc.

I. 'Sun Smith Series Blue' (variegated silver on green foliage; lavendar blue picotee large blooms)
    I. palmata (palmate foliage)
    I. pes-cuprae (leathery foliage, pink to lavendar blooms aka 'Railroad Vine')
    I. tuberosa (yellow blooms)

Thanks,

Susan

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

My most wanted vine hummmmmm how could you possibly choose I have Mt Fugi MGs I have coming tons of new MGs fom MG swap would love to get chilean glory vine I got a piece of wisteria 7 years ago grew so slowly last year it grew like gangbusters I'm hoping that means it will bloom in spring .Cathedral bells I've had them bloom one year out of 3 tries it actually works to winter sow wow I'll have to try that this year. I still would love to try some of Emmagraces MGs LOL. Patty

• lboyce
    18 years ago

Just found this forum! Need to add my 2 cents! I absolutely love the moonflower vine but my favorite is the Corkscrew vine..vigna caracalla. Made the BIGGEST mistake of my life...had one growing beautifully but thought it had died...little did I know it was Winter and the thing was only going dormant! Now I'm searching for another one!

Linda

• ARUM
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Linda, so many nice ones to choose from, why not grow them all like I do? I don't grow the Corscrew Vine though. :) arum

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Arum, WHY don't you grow the corkscrew vine?

• ARUM
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kay, Im SO burnt out, I don't want to grow anything hardly. Just never got the chance, and didn't get to it, now I am so burnt out from trading and growing, I've decided to not plant ANYTHING this spring and just let everything come up naturely, then just weed and pull up half of what comes up. I will still probably have more MG"S then just about anybody. My Koi pond needs a new liner, and that will be a huge project. Still, I've had fun these past few years trading seeds with folks, but now I understand why people disappear on the GW!!! Salutations! :) Arum

• kayjones
    18 years ago

TEEHEEEEEEEEE, Dena - you are SO FUNNY! ROFLMAO - you aren't going to trade nor plant anymore - TTTTTTTTEEEEEEEHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEE! Email me!1

• xanadu
    18 years ago

No one mentioned Mina lobata. I grew it for the first time this year. I can't say enough good about it. Though it's late-blooming, the foliage is airy and graceful. It's well mannered and looked lovely until late August/September, when it burst into stunning, long-lasting bloom. In our mild climate it still had blooms in early December. It started blooming a week after I trimmed it slightly, which may or may not have stimulated bloom. Cutting back may be a way to grow it to bloom in shorter-season climates.

• surfpnsbch
    18 years ago

How does one get a corkscrew vine to bloom? I had several last summer but none ever bloomed. Brought them in to overwinter but would like to know if anyone has input on how to get blooms?

Thanks,
    Sara

• ARUM
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I grew Mina Lobata, but it didnn't like me, but I loved it! Wouldn't bloom, needs a long growing season in the North. :) arum

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz