SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klflorida

OH NO! Not another newbie!!

18 years ago

I can't help it, I've caught the bug. After creating a garden adding alot of organic matter for the last seven years, I still had not seen a worm.

I went the route of building a compost pile with what ever I could scrounge. Nothing big or fancy, but I did find a site where trees were cut down in anticipation of future construction and collected a few trash cans of the debris. After about 3 months worms began to appear and I built a couple of love nests in my yard to encourage friendly encounters.

This weekend, I decided to try and collect as many worms as I possibly could, I mean I have dug and dug and came up with about 45-50 worms (not disturbing the love nests.) These new worms I collected and put into a large rubbermaid tub along with alot of the dirt I found them in, some shredded paper along with a bag of rotting salad mix.

I've read on this board that putting them in an entirely different environment than what they are used to could cause casualities, this is why I included the dirt.

What I want is a place for them to mate, lay eggs and provide me with the wonderful droppings that will be so beneficial.

So here they sit, in a big bucket of dirt, paper, rotting veggies etc. How am I supposed to harvest the poop? Should I start eliminating the dirt little by little and replacing it with paper?

My dirt is awful and through the months I've been reading this board, many people have the same problem. When I water it just runs to the street. Water is really expensive here, and I can't afford to waste it. I'll be replacing the yard when the weather changes from cold to cool, but in the meantime, I am doing everything I can think of to make sure the soil is rich for the new grass. This will be the thrid time it will be replaced at a little more than a couple thousand dollars a pop, so I really want to do it right. In the back yard I am laying newspaper on the grass then covering it with bagged manure, about 10 bags at a time.

Ok, just realizing I'm getting into to much detail. I just want to know what I need to do with these worms to keep the producing, in a clean happy environment and harvest their castings as we go along.

If anyone has made it this far in this post and still awake, I could use some advice.

Kathy

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor