SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yvermette

Help about mutilated worm

Yvermette
18 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new to vermicomposting and i started my first rubermaid bin 4 months ago. I did not had much troubles with the bin and my worms are multiplying quite fast. I even harvested my first batch of wermicompost.

Since everything was doing pretty well, I decided to get another half pound of worm to start a second bin. Thatwill allow me to process more food waste and if somethind bad was to happen to my first bin, the second bin would still be there.

I have my second bin started since 2 weeks and everything seems to be doing well too. Yesterday i was looking around the bin and i found several worm bodies scattered into the bin. Some were dead, or some seemed to be badly injured. Sometimes i found only an extremity that seemed to be cutted away, or sometimes the worms seems to have some kind of blisters... Kind if strange.

The bin conditions seems to be ok. I used this time a mix of shredded newspaper, computer paper and cardboard that i shred with an office shreder. In my first bin i was shredding the newspaper by hand. I still have many worms that seems healty, but i was wondering if the worm could get injured by the getting cutted by the paper strips when they move inside the bin????

Anybody experienced that type of problem before? Today i tought about getting some coir at home depot, but there was no more left. Please any help would be appreciated!!!!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations