SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

Question for Mr Moses(or anyone) about Lady Ashe width and about worms

Lisa Adams
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Good morning. Mr. Moses, I know that you grow Lady Ashe, and I bought her partly on your recommendation. I planted her at a horrible time of year for So CA, or rather, my kids planted her on Mothers Day. She struggled at first, but now looks much better. I put a milk case over her during the hottest part of the day, and that helped tremendously. Now that she's starting to grow, I realize she is probably planted WAY to close to the patio. I have an arch for her to climb. The arch is standing in place, but not yet anchored into the ground. I'm wondering how wide the Lady is apt to grow, considering everything grows huge here. I hate to dig her up and move her over a couple(or 5) feet, but I have a feeling it might be necessary. The ground there is rock solid, and will take an axe to dig into.

Here are a couple of pictures. Please pardon my mess. I'm making sure the grass doesn't grow back before I get everything done and mulched, and I'm using all sorts of things to protect plants and containers from the harsh afternoon sun. Thankfully, this is in the backyard where I can get away with it:)

This second photo shows it better. The concrete patio begins to the right, just where I have that last strip of cardboard. There's only about 3 feet between Lady Ashe and the patio.

Now I have another question. I hope you don't mind. I saw your answer to someone about gypsy moths and worms. I can't remember who. Many of my Rose buds are being eaten from the start by little worms. I don't normally do anything about them, but this is getting out of hand. I do usually spray my tomatoes with BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) and I need to do so now. I know that BT only affects caterpillar type worms and not rose slugs, which I am STILL dealing with. So my question is this; Are the pictures below of the caterpillar family? I just want to make sure these are not rose slugs, as the BT will not work on them. If these are indeed some sort of caterpillar type worm, I'm thinking of hitting more than just my tomatoes with the BT.

Here's a picture of my very First Lady Ashe bud. You can imagine how disappointing this was!

And here is a picture of a worm from another rose. It looks different from what was eating Lady Ashe, but the end result was the same.

Sorry about such a long post, but any help would be very much appreciated. Lisa

Comments (8)