SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

New to forum - - Re: Hyacinth Bean Vine

carrie630
17 years ago

Hi Everyone! I am usually on the wintersowing forum and just recently realized that there was a vine forum. I grew hyacinth bean vines this year on my arbor. The leaves are healthy, soil is NOT fertile, vines are tightly woven (if that makes any sense or difference...) and still no beans or flowers. I did have two beans at the bottom (my husband ate them...) and haven't noticed anything else. Someone told me first you get the flowers and then the beans. But it's almost August and no flowers. It has grown to cover the whole arbor and looks great - but I pictured it covered in flowers and/or beans. I am wondering - are the vines too "tight"... I let them do their thing on the arbor and they climbed up and wove in and out without my help.

Last year I didn't have the arbor and I grew them in pots (just because someone gave me the seeds...) and I had tons of flowers. The vines were not as tangled in the pots because I let them trail along the sunny part of the woods.

I did notice small holes (aphids?), and I notice a few on the arbor this year, but that doesn't bother me. Anyone else with this same experience?

Thanks - Carrie

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County