SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okieladybug

Carolina jessamine

okieladybug
17 years ago

We will be building a pergola to connect the front and side porches of our 1940 cottage. I would like to grow some sort of vine on the pergola. I had thought of Carolina jessamine, but am not finding much specific information about it; the sources I have found offer conflicting information (shade vs. full sun, heavy watering vs. light watering, no fertilizer, vs. heavy fertilizing, etc.)

Here are the issues: Our neighbors yard is slightly hilly and when it rains it drains to our side yard. It doesn't rain often here, but when it does, that portion of the yard is thoroughly soaked b/c of the run off. Also, there are 2 mature pecan trees in our side/back yards so that area is fully shaded through the summer. Given those issues, would Carolina jessamine be an option for that area?

We would also like to grow a vine on a trellis attached to the west side of our front porch (which faces north). That area receives full sun from noon to dusk. Would CJ work there? The soil is sandy in the front yard, but very rich in the side/back yards.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. We are new to owning our own home, but really want to make huge impact with the landscaping.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer