SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fam62cc

A Tale of Two Composts

fam62cc
13 years ago

It wasn't the best of days, it wasn't the worst of days. It was just an ordinary day. My wife and I were having sweet corn for supper. Two ears for me and one for her. I husked the three ears of corn and wrapped the husks in newspaper about 3 layers thick. I took them out to the compost heap, one of three I have going at present. I dug a hole about 18 inches deep, put the package in and covered it up. After supper I took the three cobs down to the basement and deposited them in the top layer of #3 COW. Fast forward about 6 days, I took some garbage out to the heap where I had put the corn husks and dug in to deposit some more garbage. There were the corn husks, looking as fresh as the day I put them there but the newspaper in which I had wrapped them was gone. One small piece about the size of the palm of my hand was all that I could recognize. Meanwhile, back at the worm ranch I went down to the basement just to look around. I lifted the lid of the bin in which I had put the cobs and there they were, looking just the way I had put them in. No surprise there, but then I took the fork and rolled on over. It was swarming, a solid mass of worms underneath the cob. I checked the other 2. Same thing. As good as watermelon. In another post I estimated my worm population at about 6000. Using this latest intelligence I would raise that estimate to 10,000. This from my original 1000 in early December last year.

Dave Nelson

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting