SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

India Palay Vine Doing Great! But.......

PoohBearLvr
18 years ago

Well I finally got a India Palay vine...purple allamanda to me,to root and GROW!,and it is in a huge 14 in pot. It is like 8 stems that I managed to braid the stems together in hopes it would make a 'trunk'. It did but it still needs staking. It puts out bursts of vines, then long times of nothing. Is being in a pot holding it back? I also need to know, should I try to make it a 'freestanding' plant and try to keep it as a 'shrub'? Or is it only a vine,and I need to put it next to a fence and let it attach to the fence??? Right now it is 'freestanding' like a umbrella shape...but I just dont know what its 'natural' shape really is. Maybe both? I have seen it on fences and I have seen it freestanding. I thought braiding the stems would give it strength to stand up as a 'shrub',but when it does put out long vine stems..it tends to lean. So..should I put it on a fence and let it go. Or force it into a shrub shape and stake it up and keep on top of it with shaping and constant trimming? Thus cutting off any flowers. So far I have only gotten like 3 blooms. And the aphids attacked them in a day! I thought it was poisonous. What can I spray on it to prevent or kill aphids or anything else that attacks it? Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer