SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alabamanicole

Worm bin for public library

13 years ago

A local library is finishing up a Children's Garden outside the main branch, which focuses on telling stories, being a place to play and have workshops, but also to showcase sustainable design and materials. The garden is comprised of native plants and trees, which if not edible are at least non-toxic.

I volunteered to do a workshop on vermicomposting, and next thing I know I'm the vermi-consultant for their on-site worm bin and she wants to know what kind of space she needs to reserve for me. Several Senators are taking the plans for this garden so it can be recreated in other places, so here's a chance for worms to become real book worms. :)

The goals are:

-Educate kids and their parents about worms and vermicomposting

-Provide worksheets people can take home to make their own worm bins

-Compost onsite materials instead of landfilling them, including large quantities of paper

-Reuse worm castings and compost on the garden

Okay, vermiwhackos, I need your help. I am pretty sure they want an outdoor bin, which I've never done. A worm pit won't be very practical if they want to harvest castings -- what do you think about windrows? They aren't sexy and fun, though, and lack some of the educational aspects. I'd rather have a bin they can throw their trash in if they eat in the garden. Teaching young kids to throw their trash on the ground doesn't sound like a good idea. Maybe a windrow can be dressed up?

I want to lobby for a large flow-through that they can wheel indoors in the winter and will be better protection from voles and raccoons and such. There is some money, but not a lot. Certainly not enough to buy a commercial flow-through bin.

What do you think?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida