SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumnfairy

NEW: Make New Friends: Sounds of Summer

autumnfairy
16 years ago

We had so much fun swimming in the mirthy manure, we decided to do it again! (but I thought I would try to clean up the mirthy mess...LOL)

This swap is open to both "newbies" and "oldies". We really like to make new friends, so please feel free to join in on the party!

This time I thought we could share windchimes! Please limit any windchimes that you buy to $10 or less. I do not want to make this an expensive swap. If you have them just sitting around, that is fine. Don't spend money if you do not have to.

Now I have to post the yucky rules. I know, rules are no fun, but they will ensure that you have a pleasant swap.

Here are the details:

1. You must be at least 18 to join in on this swap.

1. Let me know that you are interested in joining the swap. Send me an e-mail at bly.laurie@yahoo.com or lauriegarris@yahoo.com and include your GW name and your mailing address. Then join in on the fun! Tell us about yourself. What kind of plants do you like? Do you have any children? We love pets too! Feel free to post pictures!

3. I will send out swap partners within a few weeks. You will be getting a box from one person, and sending your box to another.

4. What to send: A MINIMUM of 5 different plant/bulb types. You can send more than 5 if you like. Any seeds, candles, bath stuff, trinkets, etc. are considered extras. Most items should be plants. Also include one windchime.

5. All boxes should be sent priority with a delivery confirmation due to the heat. Please expect to pay around $10.00 to send a flat rate box.

6. Once you receive your box, please tell us what you got! We love to know what was in the boxes! We are nosy like that. :o)

Ok...I think I got it all covered. This is my first time hosting, so girls, if I left anything out, please let me know.

READY...SET...GO....who wants to play?

Laurie

Comments (150)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am so glad you said that, Alana! I really liked them quite a lot and that sounds like my plan of attack! I am a lazy gardener! LOL! I like to plant it and watch them grow. The posts I was reading up from seemed to be more canadian and upstate NY areas. I was hoping the dahlias might be a little hardier here. We did get a late may frost this year but I could mulch heavily over them to give them added protection. When do they start sprouting for you? Thanks!

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

They are one of the latest things to get going for me; usually mid to late April. I cover them with a few inches of pine needles in late fall and start removing it in early April. They were nipped by that strange late freeze we had this year and I was worried they would not make it, but after a couple of weeks they came on out.

• Related Discussions

NEW: Make New Friends Robin

Q

Comments (150)
    Well, my tulips have just opened, finally!!! I live in a small town in central montana. Not even a stop light in town. I like it! I work for a steel manufacturer that makes steel cooking griddles. so I run the equipment, do sales, and the packaging. My husband and I just got married 4 years ago. I moved to the larger city where he lived, till my dad was diagnosed with cancer then we did the mad dash to fix and sell the house and move back to my old town. We got to spend a month with dad before he pased. We've been here 9 months now and have moved twice. When my rental came empty it was an absolute disaster! So.....from Nov on we did nothing but work on the house. Since we were doing so much work we decided to fix it nice and move into it-- about 1/2 acre of yard nice views but an ugly yard with nothing in it. I am in zone 4 and in on the plains so the biggest problem I have is the constant wind here in the winter, it seems to kill everything! OH, and the alkaline soil sucks too! I like Iris, peonies and daylilies they do well here as well as most clematis. Poppies are my favorite. At this time I think I have at least 20 varieties. I have been trading like crazy and I recognize a few people I have already traded with. Hello to poisondartfrog,seashellpcola, and amyinms!!! AMYINMS, ARE THOSE MY TOMATO PLANTS THAT HAVE TOMATOES ON THEM ALREADY??!! (GIGGLE)
    ...See More

UPDATE: Update 2: Make New Friends

Q

Comments (150)
    I vote we keep this going month by month and we have an option to play that month or sit it out.Also it would be nice for us all to update our members page so we can go and see what our partner for the month is interested in and the color themes they are using.That is not saying we have to go by a list boballi,but to give us ideas.I have several gardens and several in progress and several planned,so I can use anything.The etc. part is a good idea also.I have a bird house village and maybe someone is interested in swapping birdhouses or garden art.I am not sure I would want weeds.I pull about a wagon full almost everyday now..lol This has been alot of fun for me and am glad of having the opportunity to meet you all.Thank you Diene for bringing us all together.As our group grows,it will become more and more interesting.Don't you all think we should have a name for our group? Or keep it as making new friends? Vela,thanks for taking the next swap.Maybe we can do a mo. by mo. volunteer hosting or have someone to keep up with who swapped with who.I like the idea of the host passing on the info to the new host.That way we won't have to keep going back sending it repeatedly. I sure hope you get your box today Wendy.I shutter that it may sit until Monday in the PO.If this happens and the plants do not survive,I will gladly send another box right away.Please let me know about the passion vine. Vela,thank you for the offer of your lilies but my ditch here in Ga. is full of them,but send me a picture and let me see if they sre the ones we have here.I am thinking they probably are. Well,I am going outside to play in the dirt.Have a great day everyone. moonphase
    ...See More

new: open invitation to a new make new friends robin!

Q

Comments (150)
    Ahh yes, the math skills are really horrible (I don't know if this is just an epidemic in WV or if the whole US is calculator spoiled). I'll never forget one time I was at McDonald's and my total came to something like $4.96 and I gave her a $5...she messed up the register and was completely lost as to how much to give me back. I said "it's just 4 cents, don't worry about it"...but she said "well, then my register will be off"...so I waited for her to go get her supervisor who proceeded to use a calculator to figure up my change. I was completely dumbfounded. I'm not sure those were the exact amounts..but it was very simple math...so sad. The bad thing is I've seen several examples similar to this. For a short while while I was in college, I worked at Shoney's. I ended up quitting after about a month or so because the supervisor kept forcing me to work over when I had exams yo study for and things I really needed to get home to...but when I went in to quit, the manager came into the office and tried to talk me out of it because they had been having trouble finding people who can count back change! Amazing to me.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Sounds Of Summer Make New Friends Part 4

Q

Comments (149)
    Well, I have gotten some e-mails from people dropping out. This is our new list. * designates I still need your address. Please do not use gardenweb e-mail, as I do not seem to be getting those e-mails. traceyvine* autumnfairy pixies* hermit fishy jennid* kalena* dirt debbya diene medontdo As soon as I have the rest of the addresses I will post partners! Also, just making sure with the ones above....are you still wanting to be in this swap, or should we postpone this one? Autumnfairy
    ...See More
  • pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

BUNNY!!!!! shame shame shame!!! I gonna hafta agree with Rox lmao, as I sit here drooling! Remember .... I write things down on ma calendar and its been since JUNE and that was just cause I cornered him in the attic!!! Sheesh and he has been IN TOWN!!! OHHH POOR ME now!!! lol.

I remember the days of the boys sleeping with us lol, Cole and Alan would even fall asleep in our bed watching tv with Fox or me when they were older, Alan still goes in there and falls asleep while he and Fox are watching a movie, hate those nights, I usually end up sleeping in the "big blue chair" lol. Since Alan was a preemie he used to sleep in a baby bath tub in a drawer on our waterbed (we don't have that anymore, thank goodness, fox would set the temp to cold cold cold).
    Tracy, I too have had a couple bumped nose but never one that bad, OUCHIE girlie!
    Alana I would love to see pictures of your gardens! I know they are beautiful!
    Just from being here I have started really making leadway with my gardens again! I owe ya'll soo much Thanks!!! Fox and I went and dug plants from his sisters house yesterday, hot hot hot, bless his heart he really went gung ho about it too. I am going to go back and get more before she has them all taken away, she doesn't like plants or flowers in her yard and shes got some neat ones from the lady before her. Sheesh can't imagine anyone NOT liking plants and flowers. Going back after I plant the ones I got yesterday lol.

Smiles everyone.
    Pixie

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

No room in the bed for kiddies, hubby takes up most of it as is. We used to have a bassinette next to the bed, when they were nursing, once they slept thru the nights, they went into thier rooms. I did some planning last pm, and rearranged a few classes, and shaved a semester off my graduation date. Hubby *really* wants me to take a year off when we adopt, but we're gonna have to see if my assistant can run the place while I'm gone, or else sell.

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Hereading the post, I made hubby sound huge, not that at all, just 6'9 tall, he hangs off the edge of out Cal King bed. I usually end up with his stump in my back, but that's ok I can just wiggle back to my side.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Alana, good to know! Mid to late april is when most of my stuff is just beginning to pop their heads up. If it handled that frost that we both got I should have no worries. Perfecto! I was looking online and most of the sites I found that sell them are not shipping again till spring. Can you buy and plant in the fall?

Oh boy fishy, he's a tall one. And I thought mine was big! He's a puny 6'4"! LOL! I know what you mean about having to wiggle back on your side! The other night he flipped over on top of me! I wouldn't have minded if I wasn't scared out of a dead sleep! LOL! Nothing like waking up with a shriek!

Pixie: My oldest still teases me about losing my brain juice! He says it explains sooooo much! Punk teenager! LOL! So what plants are you getting from your SIL? I remember about the cactus, what other goodies did you find? I hope she had some dl's for ya! That is so awesome that Fox is jumping in on the digging! I think it's more fun with someone helping, really makes it fly.

• galium
    16 years ago

I received an email from Hermit about the swap today. IE my DH's aversion to Wind Chimes. Appreciate the offer of substitution but I still need to opt out. Unfortunately, I am now battling a Whitefly infestation in my Veggie garden. My perennial plant holding beds are up there too. I overwintered a Lantana that I purchased from a greenhouse nursery. The plant was located near to where I start my tomato, pepper and melon seeds. Even though I sprayed with Pyola from Garden's Alive prior to planting it hasn't helped. Fortunately they will not survive our winters. I will still need to do a through job of cleaning up plant debris.

If anyone here is new to gardening I can not stress enough how important it is to check plants over throughly prior to purchasing them. This photo is what a serious whitefly infestation looks like it's a little blurry but I think you'll get the idea:

Anyway I won't be trading any of my plants from that area for the rest of the season. Thankfully, I have other beds away from that area that are not affected. At this point there is to much damage to introduce any predators.

Now I'm going to go outside and scream very loudly........
    Mariann

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Heard your screams all the way down here Mariann. Im soo sorry about your plants and thanks for the picture and the advice. Is there any way you can take it back to the nursery and show them? I know that they will claim that their plants leave healthy but maybe give it a try. Sheesh its sad that you buy a plant and it takes out your bed!

Bunny, got your package today and I have to say... IT will be used! Thank you and I love it!.. The prize is a package of skittles and a Lobster Jellow/cake mold old time bakewear too! I love it!!! Next time someone has a crawfish boil Imma gonna make a cake in it! Gonna make cherry jello in it for Alan this week too! That was an awesome find sweetie! I laughed and can't wait to show Fox and Alan! Its too cute! The SKITTLES are MINE... I am not a chocolate person but I do love skittles!!!!

Thanks again Melissa.
    Smiles,
    Trina (the pix)

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Oh Galium, sorry about the Whiteflies! How discouraging.

Tracy, I have never planted Dahlias in the fall so I can't advise you. I don't think I have ever seen them sold for fall planting so it is likely not widely practiced. If it were, you can bet it would be for sale. Maybe someone else here has tried it. I personally would not try it with Cannas either. I think having the summer to settle in helps them overwinter. I do start new Dahlias into growth in boxes in the greenhouse in late February or early March so that I don't have to wait so long for blooms.
    Which leads me to a question. Would anyone have difficulty storing a tuber or bulb that needs to be kept dormant until spring? I am thinking of our next couple of swaps.

• galium
    16 years ago

I received an email from Hermit about the swap today. IE my DH's aversion to Wind Chimes. Appreciate the offer of substitution but I still need to opt out. Unfortunately, I am now battling a Whitefly infestation in my Veggie garden. My perennial plant holding beds are up there too. I overwintered a Lantana that I purchased from a greenhouse nursery. The plant was located near to where I start my tomato, pepper and melon seeds. Even though I sprayed with Pyola from Garden's Alive prior to planting it hasn't helped. Fortunately they will not survive our winters. I will still need to do a through job of cleaning up plant debris.

If anyone here is new to gardening I can not stress enough how important it is to check plants over throughly prior to purchasing them. This photo is what a serious whitefly infestation looks like it's a little blurry but I think you'll get the idea:

Anyway I won't be trading any of my plants from that area for the rest of the season. Thankfully, I have other beds away from that area that are not affected. At this point there is to much damage to introduce any predators.

Now I'm going to go outside and scream very loudly........
    Mariann

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Alana, I just planted some Cannas here, some I just transferred with buds on them, we will see if those shoot. We still have a good couple of months here for cannas to bloom. My dad has gotten me several canna "bulb" tubers, spikes, whatever they are called whereever. I plan on planting them when they get here and hopefully will have some good foilage, I don't pull anything up here, if IF its to freeze hard then I will cover things up with blankies and straw, but more than likely if it freezes here its just a light freeze so I spray the foilage down before it freezes to protect the leaves, then cover it with blankies or plastic sheets. BUT I don't live in the north so a light spray of water helps here.

Pixie

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Okay Pixie, rub it in. I would give my favorite spotted hound for just a few more weeks of growing season!

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

It doesn't freese here at all. I can't grow tulips, daffs, crocus or any bullbs besides callas and glads in the ground, so all my spring bulbs are in 1 planter that I dump out, and toss in the fridge untill sept plantings. My bulbs usually flower xmas> valentines day, and dry up by April.

• autumnfairy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I think I am caught up on reading all of the posts. I hope I caught everything! There was so much to read!

Thanks for the well wishes. I am feeling much better. Now we are just battling the heat. It must be over 100 degrees in the shade. I hope my plants can take it. I might have to start watering them twice a day though.

My peacock lilies are about to bloom!

And, I "stole" passionflower fruit the other day for the seeds. I can't wait to plant them. I am addicted to passionflowers.

Pixie...I also have the urge to turn on the sprinkler in the backyard and run through it. Wal-mart had slip & slides on sale today and I almost got one, but I think I am a little too big to get on it. We almost died cutting our grass yesterday.

Carol...congrats on the 2 babies! That is such good news!

So, for all of the newbies, I will tell you a little about me. I am 32 and live in Houston. I do not have any children, except furry ones. I have 2 cats (Kairo, my bengal baby and Willow) and 2 dogs (Furf and Trigger) All were adopted or rescued. I am dating my highschool sweetheart. We have been togther again for a year and a half. I was recently divorced, last Friday to be exact. I love anything fantasy, especially fairies...as I am sure you can tell by the name. I even dress up as one for a local festival here.

I work in accounts receivable for a hydraulic hose and fitting company named Hufco. I work 8-5, so I do not post much during the day. After work I am on here all of the time.

Hi Diene...I am glad that you joined this swap!
    Hi Medontdo! How are you doing?
    Hi Debbya! Glad to see you back!
    Galium, I am so sorry about your plants. I wish you the best.

I hope I did not leave anyone out or forget any posts. My mind was fried from the weekend. If I did forget something, please let me know and I will respond.

Autumnfairy

• hermitonthehill
    16 years ago

Galium - I swear by NEEM OIL!!! I use the Schultz, "Garden Safe" brand Fungicide-3 available at Wal-mart. I use it for every type of pest imaginable - it's natural and has never failed me.

AutumnFairy - "peacock lilies" - by chance is this a common name I'm not familiar with and they are the same as "peacock orchids" aka Acidanthera????? Just curious. I had a grand container-grown bed of them and multiplying like mad... but unfortunately a rescue that joined us a few years ago decided to dig up EVERYTHING except the tree (and he tried doing that) from that large container and I only found a handful of the corms - too long after they had been 'out' evidently to be salvaged with viability because replanting didn't result in any growth. To add insult to injury, I haven't been able to find the corms for Acidanthera locally - and ordering them from another source isn't feasible... too pricey for me with us still doing this lonterm unemployment gig. Anyway, was just curious if they were the same or if the Peacock Lilies were something else - with a name like that, if not the same, they are bound to be beautiful.

Going to spend some time with the "chimes" now and try to relax this evening - has been a heck of a day here... I hate Mondays... inevitably bad days... *sigh*

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Alana, Thanks for the heads up on the dahlias. I will look around to see if any are on sale and store them for spring. I have a terrible time starting anything in the house. We just don't get enough light so i will have to settle for later blooms. I won't mind too much. I don't currently have any tubers that I would store over winter so I don't have any to share, unfortunately. Unless I come across a dahlia sale! I will be on the hunt now.

Sadly for me the place I always picked up my fall bulbs went out of business. I will be on the hunt for a new spot soon. I haven't put any in since we moved here.

Laurie, Glad to see you're feeling better!

Mariann I am so sorry about the white flies! That is terrible news. I got rid of my beetles finally. They made lace out of my hibiscus before I finally stopped them. The evil curses.

Did I tell you guys that someone went blackberry picking in my yard? I am sooooo mad. I looked at them a week or so ago and thought "I will pick them tomorrow". I came out the next day and the stalks were picked clean. I thought that a deer had done it at first but since the base of each of the berries was still intact it must have been a two legged critter! I could spit nails! I wanted blackberry pie! With ice cream of course. Errrrgh!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Tracy, Seriously?? Someone picked your berries?!! Gosh darn, down here that's a serious NO NO!! Ya don't go pickin' other peoples berries/fruits/veggies without permission. Unless you're a kid, then it's excused. Especially if it involves watermelon or tree fruits.
    That's just the way it is.
    Don't ask me why.
    :O)
    Hmm...Maybe they just didn't realize it was on your property?
    Either way, I don't blame ya. I'd be lacing my berries with stink bugs. :O)

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

sheesh, a blackberry thief!!! Ifn it ait a kid then find a tree and hang em by the feet till they taste the berrys they swallowed!!! Then force him to eat bunnys stinkie bugs!!!

I agree though, ya just don't go picking others plants without asking! I even have the common courtesy to ask! After all it takes alot of work and patience to grow something with the anticipation of a finished product in mind (like a pie). Just not right at all.

Laurie, I don't even think a slip and slide would help in this heat lol if your anything like me it would dry and give ya rubber burns on the elbows or knees (ok Bunny no comment on that one!) girlie its just plain hot in texas. I cleaned out the Jac and have been using it as a pool lol, but the water heats up and I can't afford to put new water in it daily lol. (heats up without the heater on btw just from the days heat)

Alana, I'd let ya keep your spotted hound if I could have some cool nights lol you could have the extra months growing lol. I still have plants heeled into a furrow for the waterline in the front yard that I need to plant in the back yard. Its just been too hot and I am too outta shape gasp gasp gasp lol!

Rox your cactus shipped today, I basically just put them in a box and mailed them girlie girl lol. The confirmation # is 0306 2400 0002 7677 3029 USPS. I sent a couple with roots and a couple with babies. If ya want more just let me know.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Okay, Pixie...I won't comment on your rubber burns....! LOL :O)
    I enjoyed a nice romp on the slip n slide just last weekend. Very enjoyable, in this 100+ degree heat!!
    Although...I so DONT want to see my water bill next month!! OUCH! But no more of that fun stuff...We're under a severe burn ban, so we can't be wasting water. :O( Everything's so CRISPY!!!
    I sincerely believe that you should never have to yell OW OW OW OW OW OW OW when you walk across your lawn.
    It's just not fair.
    :O(
    LOL

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Thank you for all the sympathy on losing my berries girls! Yeah, if I find the stink weed that snagged them I am gonna string 'em up! If it was a kid they would just get a talking to but an adult... Watch out!

There is no mistaking that they're on our property. They are about 10' in from the neighbors fence and stand in a weird little patch in the middle of the grass. They aren't in a tree line or anything. We don't have a fence at the back of the property so people can cut through to the development back there but no one usually does. The kids that live next door are in their early 20's and have lots of Thursday night parties (don't know why thursday is so popular) so I'm guessing it was one of their friends that was over. Course I wouldn't think blackberries go too well with beer, but what do I know? Moan! I really was looking forward to pie. This was the first year that my stalks put out a good show. Enough for one whole pie. Good sized berries too. I had tasted one the day before and man weren't they on the sweet side! (moaning again) Usually we have to go field picking to get a couple of extra quarts. Sigh...

Oh well! Today I decided to start collecting seeds from my lavender. Man are those buggers tiny. Lots of chaff and hard to see the little dingers! LOL! I think I got 2 dozen or so and I have many more blooms going so will have lots to share later on next month or so.

Pixie, rubber burn... I don't normally get that from a slip and slide. Hmmm... Maybe you should add some baby oil? LOL!!!! Oh man, I like your texas style of torture for berry thieving! Till they taste the berries they stole! ROFL!

Well for the first time since I can remember this summer we had a 78 degree day. I am saying a prayer of thanksgiving! Bizarre, yesterday was in the 90's with the H.I. at 110. Blistering hot at the fair! I Felt like a slip and slide! YYYYYYYUCKY! Came home and jumped in the shower!!! Today was a nice reprieve.

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

lol I'm having night dreams bout slip and slides now, hmmm add baby oil ohh hmmm makes it almost x rated lol. J/K (nahh Im not) OK now Tracyis rubbin in low temps, sheesh its still 89 here right now I would LOVE a 78 degree night even lol!!!!! Fox is such a sweat hog and we have a king size bed but still he thinks HE is KING lol, and then he says I take up all the room sheesh I just want one ONE picture someday of us sleeping to show him I hang on the side of the bed!!!! We have a high bed so IF a baby sleeps with us they usually sleep in between our legs (babys would mean Rebs or Mud) and would just take the chance of getting kicked by fox's legs, sheesh! He is going to Brazil sometime in September though, the only good thing there is I get the bed to maself. lol.

Ya'll going from the 90's to the lowers I just hope ya'll don't catch a summer cold. Fox has caught one even without the low temps. If ya'll have ever watched "Lil Rascals" fox sounds like "Frog" on that show lol. Seriously, he has a deep voice anyways but I promise he sounds just like Frog or what ever his name is lol. Croak Croak lol. Ok I will quit making fun and say "poor Fox is sick" lol but it doesn't matter, all he will do is complain when hes NOT at work lol.

I am thinking about going to the beach tomorrow with a nice book. We will see though lol.

Good dreams all that are sleeping.
    Trixie

• autumnfairy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hermit...

Yes, I did mean orchid. They are in fact acidanthera. (white with dark brown center) Would you like a few? I have some extras. Maybe we could trade something. LMK.

Autumnfairy

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Getting excited for the swapping to start!
    I have been looking at different windchimes to add..and I think I've got the "right" set! :O)

I saw some gorgeous ones on someone's front porch today, my grandma had some like that when I was little, and I've always wanted some, but can never find them. The seashell type? The ones with the round, flat see-through things? They sorta look like gawdy lampshades...
    Call me wierd, but I've always loved them!! :O)

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Okay, NOT TO WORRY, future swap partner! The gawdy lampshade type ones are NOT the ones I am sending in the swap! WHEW, aren't ya relieved? LOL, I can't find any like that, and IF I ever do, I'm gonna keep 'em for myself! *yep, hubby will like that* :O)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I can't wait! I love the chimes! They drive Ed crazy but I put them in the apple trees at the back of the property. I hear them tinkling away at a distance and just love it! Especially in the winter time when the leaves are gone. There is an amazing sound they make chiming across the snow. The sound kind of echoes through the yard because of all the pines that line it on all sides.

• autumnfairy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HNB...I love any type of windchime. I got this really neat set on clearance for 1/2 price. I splurged on them because they are normally $40! But they are professionally tuned to "A" and they sound just gorgeous! I have been looking for some to send to my partner. I may go looking there again to see what I can find. They also have fairy fountains on clearance. I may have to get another one on payday. I LOVE summer clearance sales!!! I never buy anything full price...except groceries.

I'm glad that ya'll liked my idea. I was a little leary at first. But, I thought it was neat and went with it.

Anyway, I am going to bed now. Finally. Tonight was a late night. We didn't even eat dinner until 10:30! I hate it when that happens.

I will chat with you guys tomorrow. If I don't make it in time, someone please start the new thread for me.

Autumnfairy

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I am heading off to bed as well. Good night all! Chat at you in the am!

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

lol ya nutter butter Melissa you just always make me smile. lol you just keep being you through Winter ... Promise????

Niters Tracy and Laurie, hope ya dream of soft tinkling windchime music

• ctack2
    16 years ago

HNB - If you want a mattress for the toddler bed and can't find one try going to a fabric center. They sell really firm, and thick foam for apholstery and you could probably get a piece to fit the bed. I know that Hancocks here in town sells different thicknesses and firmness foam.
    Gotta get to bed.....tty all later.
    Carol B

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

You don't slide on them as an adult, you hook them up, put on tanning oil, and lay on them like a beach towel, while they water the grass/lawn etc. This works even better if you got some cool shades, red lipstick, and a berry lemonaide cocktail. ( ~.^ ) ok time for me to swim off to bed.
    ~fishy

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello HNB:
    I am really perplexed by the "The seashell type? The ones with the round, flat see-through things? They sorta look like gawdy lampshades... ". What are you talking about? Are you describing seashells? What kind of shells do you mean or are you talking about the mother of pearl you would find in a mussel shell? Please help, I am so confused. Thanks. diene

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Diene-
    I have NO IDEA what I'm talking about either!! :O) They were really popular in the 70's, and I think they may indeed be mother or pearl..because they have that shiney look. But the pieces are round, probably about 1 1/2 - 2 inches in diameter at most. They come in different colors, I've seen some that are blue, pink & red.
    They look really tropical, to me.
    I haven't seen one in AGES, and have been looking for one. I think they're mostly indoor types, just decorative.

Does ANYONE remember those things at all?? OR am I the only one crazy enough to want one?? :O)

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Smiles Ladies,

Melissa, I think I know what you are talking about, IF you are talking about what I am thinking lol. They have pastel colored wafter thin shell chimes in the shops in Galveston and along the coast here. They are really thin shells along with pc's of the mother of pearl clam shells. The wafer thin ones are colored and make a kinda tinkling sound.

Fishy lol if I tried to apply tanning oil on a slip & slide lol I'd have the babies on it with me lol, I can't even put a sprinkler in the back yard because of Rebs playing in the water and making a mud hole lol. I have gone through soo many sprinklers that way, he ends up breaking them to get to the water lol. But that is a good thought specially the lemonade cocktail lol and the water!

Its supposed to cool off and RAIN this week whoohoo! Well its from the storm thing thats in the gulf but hey, if it cools us down Im all for it!

Smiles and Great day Everyone
    Pixie

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

HNB I know exactly what you are talking about...they sell them all over the place in Texas at beach shops. Probably in florida too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Shell City

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

WHOOOHOOO there ya go Rox, those are the ones I was thinking too! Good detective work there!!!!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Rox! Those are all so cool! I love all the deep colors on those shells! How groovy! and Cheap! Bunny is gonna kiss you!

Fishy, Thanks now I have Cindy Lauper-like images of pixie decked out with big turquoise sunglasses and dayglo lipstick on her slip & slide! LOL! Dogs decked out in the same way! LOL!

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello All;
    I have never seen anything like that in my part of the world, they are pretty neat looking. Thanks Rox. diene

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

I can't wait to get my trade partner. I want to individualize the windchime to whoever I get. I found lots of online sources with cheap windchimes. Thanks for getting me looking Bunny!

Rox

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Tracy, I looked and looked for a picture of Callie and me wearing the same bright pink sunglasses but I can't find it in my photos lol. Her nails were painted but I don't think she would have gone for the lipstick lol. She was a hamm and loved to dress up! lol I'll have to keep looking for the photos, they are cute. Just no slip and slide lol

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Tracy,
    Day-glo lipstick...?!? Woman where is your fashion sence? I had more a vintage 40's pin-up look with the red lips and shades.

I do have the coconut shell - bamboo pipe wind chime handing outside... a friend brought them back from hawaii last year for me.

Hubby has offered a bribe... a hot tub with and enclosed gazebo, covered in flowering vines (so we can lock it for the kids safty). He's got a lead on a job in New Orleans, pay's solid, so he's now resorted to dirty tactics to convince me. I may hold out for some acreage...

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

WHOOOHOOO Fishy that sounds beautiful!!! (the hot tub and gazebo not the lipstick) lol!

Ok am I that transparent that ya'll know that I dress the babies up??? lol, Rebs just eats lipstick, hes more macho but loves "his own" clothes lol and of course the rebel flag and biker leathers and cap. Mud, she is still the free-spirit and would rather go nakie than even wear a bandanna sheesh the wild one there!

I am excited about the windchime swap, and I already have mine ready :)! and it aint shells lol!

I just put the babies down for a nappers, they usually nap for 1-2 hours during the heat of the day. Needless to say its very quiet round here now lol, this is when I can actually get some work done both inside and outside! This morning I had the backdoor open and the babies were running in and out and playing tug a war in the back yard, I went to see what they were tugging on and SHEESH it was my FAV padded bra!!!! So much for the silicone filling! It was flattened big time! They know that they aren't supposed to go into my bedroom unless I am in there with them!!!

This was taken months ago but he has the right ideah eh?

Ya'll have a great afternoon.

Pixie

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

I have my windchimes ready too. They are more seasonal than musical though. Pixie, love the dog!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Fishy, you caught me... I was a teeny bopper in the 80's! LOL! Fashion sense didn't exist in that decade! LOL! Yeppers the generation of fishnet stockings and ankle socks trimmed out in lace... YUCK!

{{gwi:1297241}}

Yeppers, I think we can see who the classier dame was! LOL!

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

It's ok I do remember the 80's, I'm just glad it's over. I keep my hair auburn long, cut in a 40's starlette style, long sculpted ringlets, with bold lipsticks and sexy kitten heels. Takes some work, and a pack of rollers, but it's pretty much dead-on (my Granny gave me lessons, it's how she did her sister's hair), other days' it's just long, loose and hippie-straight (it's natrual state).

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Fishy

Just a suggestion mind you......go visit New Orleans before you decide. I wouldn't live there for love nor money. It is unbelievably hot and humid in the summer. Incredibly cold and bone chillingly humid in the winter. Below sea level, and they have alligators in the canals. Apologies to anyone who is living there. I know there must be someone who loves it there. Granted.....it's a great place to visit.

My hubby tried to get me to move to Louisiana several years ago. I had been there several times and there was no way I would agree.

I know sometimes work has to take priority; but definitely give it some hard thought.

Just MHO

Rox

Here is a link that might be useful: New Orleans Weather Statistics

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

How about a day at the spa honey? You need some time to yourself.
    Seriously, I already agreed to spending xmas there feeling out the city, now he's tossing in perks? I suspect it's to eat fried southern food all week, which I won't cook here.

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

I won't make a decision "sight unseen", but he's an archetect, and there's alotta work there. His last wife didn't (wouldn't) work, so he's trying to adjust to the idea that I love my work rather than it's being something I *have* to do. He feels that now that he can afford these things, he should shower his wife with them and a life of leisure, esp. since I supported him while he finished up his degree.

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Fishy,

Yes,the building will go on for many,many years to come. My husband drives through New Orleans all the time for work and he says there are still places that look the same as they did right after the hurricane. NOTHING has been done in some areas. Such a shame.

Well, one way to look at it; if you do move you can take a good long leave of absence from working and see if you like it. LOL A life of leisure might be nice for 6 mo. or a year, or two, or three. LOL

Rox

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

lol Rocky ya hit it right on the nail girlie girl. Of course its always going to be hot and humid and rainy and cold (much like houston weather), I do love new orleans but not downtown, I love the outskirts and on the other side of the Ponchatrain (sp) and ya have to understand I am the person that says God should just drop LA in the ocean cause of I-10, nothing pretty on that road at all!!! (ok, just cause my name is Katrina it doesn't mean that I wished that storm on New Orleans). But there are some very beautiful parks, houses, plantations, bed and breakfasts, etc there. I was there for a week in June and plan to go back. I stayed in Albita Springs, about maybe 30 mins from New Orleans, just across the causeway. Other than that I think New Orleans well its nasty! There is alot of work there for architects though, they still have alot of the storm damage and they do have some very beautiful buildings downtown.

As far as the fried southern food hmmm ya better get used to spicy cajun food lol. Rox ya didn't mention the swamps lol, that is one place I'd hate to make enemies in thats forsure, they'd never find ya if ya went missing!

Christmas is a neat time to go and look although like Rox says, its cold and rainy in the winter and very steamy in the summer.

Heres some pics from New Orleans and the surrounding area and thats Lake Ponchatrain there :) I loved the big oak trees with the moss hanging down from the branches, thats a friend under the tree posing

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Made new post, since we're at 150 now.