SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vela75

new: open invitation to a new make new friends robin!

vela75
16 years ago

Hello! Several of us newbies and a few "oldies but goodies" just completed the first ever "Make New Friends" Robin. We had SUCH a GREAT time, that we have decided to do it again and open it up to more "newbies" and "oldies but goodies" that want to join in on the fun.

I was one of the "newbies" in the last robin, and volunteered to host the new robin as so much interest was expressed. This is the first robin I have hosted.

Here is how it works:

This Robin will be open to anyone (age 18 and older) who wants to join. We encourage all "newbies" to join in and welcome any "oldies" that would like to join as well, with the understanding that you will be dealing with inexperienced traders, as this is an introduction to round robins for many involved. A note to newbies...while you are the whole reason for the robin and we WANT YOU WANT YOU WANT YOU to join, please do not join on a "whim". Make sure you have the time to be part of the group, have plants to trade, and the shipping fee will not cause financial burden.

The rules are very basic.

1. Express your interest to join, send me an e-mail and include your mailing address, hang out with us and let us know about yourself and your garden (we LOVE pictures!!).

2. I will leave the robin open for people to join for a couple of weeks. I will then make contact with anyone who hasn't been posting frequently to make sure they are still interested in the swap. Once I have a final list of all who are interested I will assign someone for you to send to and someone for you to receive from (these will be two different people).

3. WHAT TO SEND - Most newbies to the trades are interested in receiving things to GROW. You should send plants, bulbs, seeds etc. Some in the last group expressed an interest in sending little favors (such as garden decor, tools, accessories etc.) Please limit such "favor" items, as the majority of what you send should be something to grow. I was intimidated somewhat in the last swap because I wasn't sure what was expected of me to send. So, I have decided in this one to give somewhat of a guideline. You should send atleast (but certainly not limited to) five varieties of things to grow. You are welcome to send more, but I think people should be happy to receive five new plants(or bulbs) for their garden. Please do not plan to send all seeds, as some consider seeds as more of a "bonus" item in addition to plants or bulbs. Although trading plants is free, you should expect to pay up to $10 to mail your box. Priority boxes are available for free at the post office. Please note that while you can express your interests in certain plants, you should not "expect" to receive certain things. As long as your trade partner has fulfilled sending you atleast five new things to grow, you should be happy. :-)

4. Once the trade is completed, please return to the forum and let everyone know what you received. I'm sad to have to post this because it makes me sound like a big meany, but I think I have to make everyone aware of what may happen if there is a bad trade. If you are unhappy with your trade, please contact me by e-mail and refrain from posting negative comments on the forum. If the box in question is determined to be one in which the guidelines were not followed, then I will e-mail the sender and let them know. At that point they may or may not choose to send another box to follow the guidelines. I, personally, will not be sending boxes to anyone other than my trade partner (in other words, I won't be supplementing for bad trades). I feel that joining a robin (or any trade for that matter) is a risk that one takes when joining such things. However, if guidelines for the trade are not followed, it may prevent you from being allowed in future "Make New Friends" robins, as your trading history will be passed on to the next host.

Ok, all the nasties out of the way, this is FUN FUN FUN!!! The last group was such a blast...we posted and posted, gabbed and gabbed, made so many new friends. Please do not be intimidated by the things above, problems in the last robin were virtually non-existent. If you have some plants to share, you'll be just fine!

Ok....NOW WHO'S WITH US???????????? Yippppeeeeee!!!

Comments (150)