SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

Removing Italian Cypress

denisew
16 years ago

A few years ago we planted a couple Italian Cypress in front of the pillars of our two story home. I was told to give them a spacing of 3-4 feet from the pillars, so that is where we planted them. They're on the south side, so with so much wind coming from the south, they have leaned in over the years and now are at the roof line of the overhang and they rub against the gutters and painted areas of the house. We're getting ready to have our house painted and the painter suggested simply topping them, but that will just ruin them, so I would rather take them down.

My questions is if we take them down to the base, do these trees have a tendency to sprout new growth from the base like deciduous trees? We have some dwarf yaupon hollies in front of them, so I don't want to damage those trying to get the roots out. I thought of putting some root kill in the stumps and then setting a couple large pots with vertical plants such as miscanthus or other grass and flowers until the stumps rot and we can put something else there. What do you think?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!