SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nordfyr315

Please Advise on My Crossing Attempt (Pics)

nordfyr315
15 years ago

Hey All,

Just so you know, I have done some background research regarding tomato crossing so I understand the concept (I think) pretty well. I am wondering about the ideal maturity of buds to emasculate the flowers. Here are a couple pics of a couple Hillbilly PL plants I attempted emasculation on. I figured I would use PL plants as the females so regular leafed offspring could be a marker for a successful F1 cross. In the first pic the buds had not opened at all. The problem there was that they were tiny The stigmas were almost nonexistent. The entire buds were pinhead sized. As a result I feel like I really traumatized them by pulling away all the sepals and anthers. I also wonder how long I should wait until I attempt to introduce pollen to them. In the second pic, I emasculated a bigger bud. However, this bud was already showing yellow as it was starting to open (a little less than the flower on the left in the second picture) and I understand that some think this is too late. At least the stigma was more substantial. All this leaves me with the following queries:

1. Was I correct in doing microscopic surgery on the first set of buds?

2. When should I attempt to pollenate the buds?

3. Can you actually see pollen as it falls? The anthers seemed rather moist and fleshy and didn't release any visible pollen.

4. What is the likelihood that in a garden where tomatoes are only given about a square foot, there will be pollination between neighbors (I have heard that a second pollination is possible even after self pollination).

Any help would be appreciated. BTW, the last pic is of one of my "stud" plants (when he grows flowers). He is a Black From Tula grown with a little compost and some of the ol' liquid gold.

Comments (5)