SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bogaat

Help me before I make things worse...

bogaat
13 years ago

So I have roughly 50 tomato plants growing in 5 gallon buckets in my greenhouse. I am using Promix-BX for soil mix. I planted about a month ago and mixed in 4 tbsp time release 12-12-12 and 1.5 tbsp calcium nitrate...I know a bit too much on the nitrogen side. Well, the plants have looked good since until a few days ago..flowers and a good selection of baby maters. I have not added fertilizer since planting...oops. I thought the time release would buy me some time to figure this out. So two days ago I noticed the new tips not growing and turning brown on 7 of the plants (calcium?). I also noticed the veins showing on some of the lower more mature leaves (manganese?). Ouch. So yesterday I mixed 1 tsp 20-20-20 w/ stem and 4 tbsp Epsom in two gallons of water for each plant. I am guessing I overdid the Epsom a bit and under did the fertilizer. I like to learn lessons the hard way I suppose. So here I am today and the tips are looking better. I can actually only notice two of the plants with brown tips and they are looking better. However, I noticed I have BER on 4 of my biggest tomatoes...ack. Am I good with the watering I did yesterday or should I add some calcium nitrate? I could use any and all input/experience. This is my first "large" scale container garden and I want to get it right. I am installing drip irrigation next week with one of the EZ-FLO systems for soluble fertigation. Help...please...and thanks in advance. You guys rock :)

Comments (15)