SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
henriettahoney

Thorny vine to discourage dogs?

henriettahoney
18 years ago

The slightly insane Great Danes next door to me are getting closer and closer to climbing over and bursting through their aging fence. It's an enormous stockade fence and placed on top of their already raised beds, so for years it's been effective at keeping their dogs in (and completely submerging half my yard in darkness, but I digress) but it's in a state of decay now, and their youngest dog has already figured out how to escape the weak spots. I'm not on speaking terms with the owners, I can't afford to replace the fence, and I'm concerned about the dogs coming into my yard after my dog - so I thought a nice thorny vine, preferably cheap, slightly invasive, fast-growing and highly unpleasant to touch, would be a help. The locations are fairly shady, but then, I don't care if I get blooms from the vine, just as long as there be thorns.

Suggestions? I thought maybe rugosa, but I didn't know how well they'd do in shade. Not that I need blooms, but I want it to be healthy and thrive and grow.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor