SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

I need to buy soil

franksmom_2010
12 years ago

We've removed everything that was either dead or overgrown in our foundation beds, and need to add soil to the beds before we replant. This is mostly clay soil, that was lightly ammended a few years ago when we moved in.

My plan: Hand till in the remaining bark mulch, add Black Cow manure, compost, expanded shale, and "landscape mix" from Lowes. I've used that landscape mix before, and thought it was a fine product, but what do I know. Put in the new plants, and top all of it with fresh mulch.

Between all of the beds, DH has figured that we need about 30 cubic feet of soil to raise the level of the beds to the sidewalk. He thinks my plan is too expensive and too much trouble, and would rather buy a truckload of soil from somewhere, rather than bags of this and that.

Does anyone have experience with this? Was the quality of the soil sold in bulk as good as what I'll get doing it my way? How much of a price difference can I expect between bagged products and bulk?

I live south of Dallas, and Living Earth Technologies is just a few miles from me. There's also Lowes, Home Depot, and I think at least one other bulk seller just outside of town.

Comments (18)